MSI GT70 , No Audio Output after Removed defective MXM GPU

Discussion in 'MSI' started by UltraGSM, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I feel ya. As you probably saw in my signature, I also love me some decent speakers on my notebooks.
    Gl with your little project, keep us updated. Would be interesting to know how far backward compatible those things really are.

UltraGSM likes this.
  2. UltraGSM

UltraGSM Love This Place

Reputations:
    well, GPU installed with little modifications of inf file, however sound did not return.
    I have re-flashed bios while with nvidia gpu plugged in, installed and working, no joy.

My other options are - find the exact replacement audio chip thats on the motherboard, order it, receive , de-solder the old chip and resolder new one back on, and hope for the best results.

Or, wire the external USB audio adapter-card internally, order some 2 channel 3w amplifier PCBs from ebay, wire them together, and hook up them internal speakers... bypassing the whole integrated audio...

Any other ideas?

3. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    have you flashed the EC by any chance? EC inkompatibilities can also cause this issue.

4. UltraGSM

UltraGSM Love This Place

Reputations:
    tried flash_me.bat that comes with .10 bios, it seemed like normal bios flash anyway and at the end it gave some warning like partial ME flash only.

Yes, I tried enabling ME firmware re-flash from Unlocked bios menu then doing the same, no difference.

Any suggestions?

Do you mean my current ME FW version vs 230m thats currently installed?

Dont know if I could or should tinker with VBIOS and if that could fix/help in any way, but look at this here, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282830391941 thats where I got this little GPU, its performance is actually seem like on par with i7-3610qm iGPU :D , ran Unigine Heaven pretty well , just like on iGPU performance wise :D

5. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Not talking about ME FW, Talking about EC. EC firmware is something you have to flash independantly from your BIOS. Sometimes a missmatch in versions of EC and BIOS can cause this issue. Maybe you can go on the MSI downloadpage and look for EC + BIOS and flash both in order to be sure you have 100% compatibilities.

Go to MSI homepage and look for the most up to date EC under firmware and try to flash it.

6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    What's the current version of BIOS & EC that you have?
    I believe this is the download page for your notebook, but just in case please provide the version to allow to better assist you. :)

7. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  8. UltraGSM

UltraGSM Love This Place

Reputations:
    Thank you all guys for the replies.

This one is i7-3610qm/675m/2x2.5" SATA drive model gt70 so I don't know which one is it, 0NC or 0NE model. Yes win7 x64

I don't remember now which bios or EC it had before I started messing with it tbh but I've tried all of them at this point. I have downloaded even the one that starts same as the regular bios .10 and .30 but ends with U, like .30U , and tried all combinations of EC, and then GPU plugged in while on every combination of these, no luck. I also tried different audio drivers of which I have had 3 different versions now, no luck. It may be motherboard related, or my 230m is just not allowing audio routing properly. It shows and displays as audio would be installed and playing perfectly but nothing is coming out neither trough speakers or audio jack's.

Interesting observation, when in audio devices list and I navigate to recording devices , Indeed sound meter on microphone, and it technically should move up and down as it picks up the sound when I either speak to the mic array above the screen near camera or tap my fingers over the mic , no movement . I may also begin to think that audio chip is stuck thinking it's wired up and connected in 7.1 audio setup , as in speakers configuration I get to choose configure and it is as default set to 7.1 ... Yet no audio trough ports or speakers, just Bluetooth and HDMI is to be tested tomorrow evening.

Can it be just as simple as 230m is not good enough for the solution? :)

Getting to think maybe some fellow's here has spare cheap 650m 560m mxm GPU laying around or etc to try, and if it works I am willing to buy it or return it if it doesn't...

Other than that what would be the best approach and combination of things to try ? Bios and EC version etc, I'm lost at this point, and as emergency exit I have ordered some parts to do nice little DIY inside the machine to fire up built in speakers including the subwoofer but that won't happen format least 3-4 weeks as China is pretty far away...

9. KY_BULLET

KY_BULLET Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's a long shot and probably not the problem but if you haven't done this, try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for your audio jack unless it's tied into the same drivers that you've been trying?

Since you can see on screen that your volume is going up and down on the sound meter, it's acting like you have an external source such as a headset plugged in, hence why I think the audio jack driver might be jacked up.

10. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Maybe your 230M is too old to co-operate as the system is expecting at least 6.xx graphics. Realtek HD Audio and Nvidia HDAudio are co-working to output the audio. And there is Optimus, too. Does your system switch from Intel Graphics to Nvidia Graphics as expected?