MSI GT70 , No Audio Output after Removed defective MXM GPU

Discussion in 'MSI' started by UltraGSM, Feb 5, 2018.

1. UltraGSM

UltraGSM Love This Place

Reputations:
    Hi folks, looking for some genius inputs/suggestions and Im open to all options.

Here is the little background of the machine:

i7-3610qm, Its the non-MSATA powered first revision MSI GT70, factory nvidia 675m model failed and prevented machine from posting completely, so removing the GPU allowed machine to post as normal.
    I dont have another MXM GPU to try and not planning on using one as iGFX intel 3000 graphics is working fine and sufficient.

Had problem with always maxed out FAN speed and no audio output since removal of the defective GPU,
    it was in panic mode for MAXed out FAN due to no dGPU, so re-flashed factory BIOS to .10 and after to .30 versions, no luck, then tried reflashing firmwares from support site for ME/CPU , no luck, still MAX FAN and no sound, then flashed unlocked BIOS (.30 vesion) but GPU selection for iGFX did not show up so edited bios myself and set iGFX to default/failsafe as iGFX, saved the rom, flashed the rom, and bingo, machine is no longer in panic mode, the fan is behaving as normal again, however , still no sound!

Device is working as in device manager, all drivers installed perfectly and indicator shows as sound should be coming out ok but its not happening, neither trough laptop speakers nor trough audio jacks, HOWEVER - Audio works perfect via Bluetooth... (havent tried via HDMI as for TV audio output... perhaps will have a chance to do so in a week or so)

I also tried checking for any other damage to the MB or flex ribbon/ audio jacks and cannot find anything to blame...

Audio worked fine before the NVIDIA gpu failed prematurely...

Laptop behaves as if the sound is supposedly playing and coming out as per audio/volume indicators, but I believe its somehow BIOS related.

Anyone can suggest anything??

I know theres ample amount of space inside this machine chassis, I could just ebay some USB audio blaster, wire it internally and run these speakers without the sub of course manually, but I think Im real close to getting this fixed without messing with external audio card mod... suggestions?

Maybe there should be string value in bios I could check to try something? I am not afraid to completely brick bios by bad flash, I can resolder fresh bios chip if needed...

Much appreciated for all and any input.

2. UltraGSM

UltraGSM Love This Place

Reputations:
    PS: I have tried number of different drivers variations and fresh windows reinstalls, also tried LIVE Ubuntu and other linux OS and still no sound , so it seems either HW problem or BIOS needs to be set to project audio some other way than it is currently. perhaps it is still partially stuck somehow with dGPU settings, but I just dont know... so...

Oh, also, PayPal BEER is on me for the problem solver ;)

3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Preheat an oven to 180c.
    Put the graphciscard like this into the oven:
    [​IMG]

Make sure the GPU is pointing up, not down.
    Let it heat up for around 10-12minutes.

Let it cool down.

Put it back to your notebook. Remember to disable it in the device manager, that way it won't die again and you can keep it as an "keep me alive".

Your fan and sound should work properly again.

4. UltraGSM

UltraGSM Love This Place

Reputations:
    thanks for the reply, the fan is behaving ok now after setting iGFX as default graphics in unlocked BIOS, but the GPU card was not repairable/beyond repair and I no longer have it so thats not an option anymore, but thanks...

5. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Well the problem is as far as I know without an MXM GPU it won't make any sound. I don't know the exact details but that's what it does. It behaves the same if you try to put an HD 8970M into it, sound will also go missing.

Maybe you can go on ebay and get a really cheap MXM GPu, maybe something like a GTX 460m, 260m, or maybe even something like a HD mobility 3650

UltraGSM likes this.
  6. UltraGSM

UltraGSM Love This Place

Reputations:
    Actually interesting idea, just to have audio, perhaps not bad idea at all. I will have a browse. I wonder if half-size MXM 3 tybeA GPU would also work the same as a patch for the sound...

I have modified few more strings for iGFX autoconfig -> enabled and some other related strings in BIOS rom file, will flash it tomorrow and will see what happens, if no go, I will perhaps order some mega cheap dGPU just to keep the sound going if that what will be needed... hate the wait from ebay, cheap ones usually comes from furthest ebay corners like china market but hey, may be worth the wait...

7. UltraGSM

UltraGSM Love This Place

Reputations:
    by the way, do you think it is the exact 1:1 behaviour as you describe when 8970m is installed? you see all as should be but sound would not work trough the speakers/audio jack?

8. UltraGSM

UltraGSM Love This Place

Reputations:
    well, quickbrowse made me pull the trigger on this cheap little thing, Nvidia 230M, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282830391941

awaiting for delivery, will see how it goes, if it fixes things, youre in for a paypal beer ;) meantime I will hold off with further bios flashing attempts untill I try this GPU. May need to shave off some of the old nvidia heatsink, or maybe better off I shave off spare AMD heatsink that I have, Im sure 675m MSI heatsink is as valuable as 780m MSI heatsink perhaps :) ??

EDIT:

Yep, I was not mistaken, worth at least 30-50eur for such heatsink, widely used for many performance GPU's such as 680 780 880 980 etc
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lap...-16F1-F2-MS-1761-E31-0900332/32830387092.html

So, you all know what GPU I will be shaving off haha :) AMD it is then

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  9. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    I don't know about that, the 675M heatsink needs to be grinded down in a couple of places in order to make it fit for newer cards if I remember correcly, but I think GT 70 heatsinks are generallly rather expensive.

I'm not to sure about the behavior. All I know that I've seen it on AMD cards before and it seems related to the MXM card. My assumption is that it probably has something to do with HDMI output from NVIDIA cards which the notebook can't work with on AMD cards and then just doesn't produce sound in the end. And yes, everything else works flawlessly, no temp issues or anything, but sound somehow doesn't work, as if speakers have been plugged out, no driver errors or similair.

I've also seen this behaivor on Medion notebooks which got crossflashed to MSI BIOS + EC, where the sound would also simply not work anymore.

Also I think the card you ordered should be compatible. I don't know about the cooling tho, but I'm sure you'll figure something out. Maybe you could do some passive cooling mod since you'll probably not even bother installing drivers anyways and will keep it as a sound card (lol).

EDIT:
    nonononono, a Heatsink that is compatible with a 675M is not compatible with a GTX 980M for instance. I helped several people upgrade from their kepler to maxwell cards, they all needed to grind without exception.

Also it's important to note that the maxwell heatsinks of the GT 70 series are unified, there is a heatpipe that combines both the CPU and GPU heatsink. Like this:
    [​IMG]

Here are the differences:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    UltraGSM likes this.
  10. UltraGSM

UltraGSM Love This Place

Reputations:
    Yeah, I was thinking not installing drivers also but regardless it would still run idle and rather hot without appropriate drivers so f* it I know I will do inf mod, install drivers and just end up not using that GPU/disabling it in either bios - continue to use as iGFX in bios settings or just disable it in windows dev-manager, and go with that, I just want to have that magnificent Dynaudio 2.1 sound that comes with these machines, its short of amazing...

Passive cooling mod... not so much, its not the first time I am at butchering MSI GPU heatsinks for good cause, and since I have one laying around I will do that, meantime I will take some photos and list the GT70 nv heatsink in marketplace/ebay and cash in on it, Win-Win :)