1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

[MSI GT683/MS-16F2] Any GFX upgrade ?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by pau1ow, Oct 12, 2011.

1. FiReStOrM^

FiReStOrM^ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for all your help. Not sure wether it means anything but you definitely got my last + rep.

Hey man that's so funny. You own Power Notebooks?

2. Heihachi_1337

Heihachi_1337 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nope, I don't own PNB. :) Just working for them.

3. FiReStOrM^

Reputations:
    Ahh OK. I just found it funny as a few day after I bought my laptop, I was disapointed that I couldn't customize it (no i7, no RAID-0 etc) and came across PNB. Was gonna send mine back and purchase from PNB.

When I RAID-0 this I assume I will have to change the bios? I belive there was anorher bios for GT683 with RAID last time I looked at MSI site.

Well thank you very much for all your help :)

4. Heihachi_1337

Reputations:
    You may have to flash your BIOS for RAID, but I would recommend checking it first to see if it already has the option.
    Just hit your Delete key to get into the BIOS and check under the Advanced options for SATA Mode Selection to see if RAID is listed. If it is, no need to flash your BIOS.

You're welcome for the help, that is what this community is for is to help others out. :D

5. FiReStOrM^

Reputations:
    OK I will definitely check it first before doing any BIOS updating.

If I RAID-0 do the drives both have to be the same size? For example I have a 750GB 7200RPM in this right now, and a 160GB 7200RPM drive in my other laptop that this replaced. What would happen if I tried to RAID-0 these 2 drives? I am so fed up of the HDD bottleneck. It's making such a powerful system feel so slow now and then! The 160GB would just be temporary btw as I will eventually get another 750GB 7200RM baby for the RAID-0.

6. Heihachi_1337

Reputations:
    Essentially, if I remember correctly, it will only match your 750GB HDD to the size of the smaller 160GB HDD. That is IF it even works at all. So with RAID 0, you would only have 320GB of HDD space give or take a bit for the bit count and all of that.

Frankly, I really don't think you will see anything of a significant performance gain with RAID 0 though unless you are doing some sort of crazy floating point calculations.
    You would actually gain more performance converting to an SSD. :D

7. FiReStOrM^

Reputations:
    Are you sure about that? You clearly know more than me about it all but that just doesn't seem right. I thought the point of the RAID-0 array was speed.. basically double the performance of the HDD system.

As for SSD's, definitly would love one but just far too damn expensive. No way will I be buying an SSD at todays prices... Maybe in a few years.

Either way I need to do something.. the HDD is definitly a bottleneck on the system.

Attached are my stock Windows Experience Index scores. See what I'm talking about. BTW this is my i5 of course, not my i7. Still scared to void the werrany. I have taken off a couple Xbox 360 warrany stickers intact before (stupid bloody RRoD error, thank god for the RROD repair kits) using a hair dryer and a sharp knife... maybe I will give that a try sometime later.

Attached Files:

8. Heihachi_1337

Reputations:
    Even if you were to configure your HDD in RAID 0, that 5.9 on your WEI is not going to change.
    If you go to an SSD, you will definitely see an increase in your drive score.

Also, if your laptop is working fine and booting up decently, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

WEI is something of a testosterone trap of sorts, your score will be based on the "weakest link" of your system.

Honestly, if your other scores are over the 7.0 mark, I wouldn't worry an awful lot about it.

9. Meaker

Meaker Company Representative

Reputations:
    It improves straight line speed, but unless you are very careful on which drives you pick it can hurt 4k speeds.

10. FiReStOrM^

Reputations:
    I don't care at all what my WEI scores are really, but they do give a decent quick representation of the systems power, or at least they appear to. And even if having RAID-0 didn't change my 5.9 HDD score, I'm pretty certain the system would perform better.

I bow to the knowledge of you guys here and definitely take your word for it, but I thought that the point of RAID-0 was to double performance (at the very least boost it). Even if not DOUBLE, I'd assume at least something close to.

I just feel it's a waste having such a powerful machine (even more so with the i7) with a single 7200RPM SATA/300 drive. Yes I know SSD is the best choice, but SSD is just too expensive per GB.

Sorry can you elaborate a little on that? I don't know really what that means.

The drive that came in the laptop is a "WDC WD7500BPKT-22PK4T0" I opened the laptop up as much as I could without removing the skrew under the warranty sticker a few days ago and looked at the drive, but I just can't remember what it said on it. Google tells me that it's a WD Scorpio.

Thanks guys, you rock.

11. FiReStOrM^

Reputations:
    I have a 560M in my GT683 right now, assuming I could find one would a 570M a. Be much of an improvement? b. Be a simple swap out and would the current heatsink work etc.

Cheers

12. pau1ow

pau1ow Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You will need to buy the right heatsink for either the 570/580M or 6970/6990M (that could be another GPU option for you)

Do you have a 180w adapter ? If no, you should plan to get one.

This a quite a simple swap as long as you have the right parts, just get some nice thermal paste (ICD24 or AS5) and thermal pads (0.5mm for GTX570m/580m, 1mm for 6970m/6990m, higher thermal conductivity is better) and that's about it :)

13. Meaker

Meaker Company Representative

Reputations:
    The 150w actually works fine for me.