MSI GT63 - a mistake?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Halfmystic, Sep 27, 2018.

1. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    A properly pasted GT63 and Whitebook would be interesting to compare. As it is, a random stock machine is a bad point of reference, because it could be running a high voltage CPU, along with a terrible paste job.

2. Semmy

Semmy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In this thread, the owners of gt63 say that even after replacing the thermal paste and even liquid metal and undervolting, they still get temperatures up to 90 degrees. So, It can be concluded that the gt 63 cooling system possibly has an uneven heat sink or other imperfection in the design.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-owners-and-discussions-lounge.815215/page-39

3. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Stock fan curve let’s it go to 90C even on LM.
    Custom fan curve makes this all better

4. Semmy

Reputations:
    Yes, I think it was your message.

5. Semmy

Reputations:
    Here it is

[​IMG]

6. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Well it seems it has bad contact pressure as well as being uneven.

7. Pureownuge69

Pureownuge69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I only recently discovered this thread. Interesting how everyone here has such bad temperatures (with LM). I am getting better temperatures with a non-LM paste. As has been hinted in this thread, heat sink contact is the key. I would recommend heading over to the GT63 8RG Owners Lounge for more background information on this. Although it has taken a considerable amount of testing and time, I am extremely happy with the temperatures on my GT63 8RG. Below is an overview of my laptops current configuration.

• CPU @ -120mv - Intel SpeedShift Enabled
    • GPU @ 945mv | 1860Mhz Core | 5150 Mhz Memory
    • Re pasted with GELID GC Extreme (CPU + GPU)
    • Re-padded with GELID GP-Extreme (GPU and CPU)
    • K5 Pro on VRM Choke Inductors adjacent CPU
    • Enzotech MOS C1 Forged Copper Heatsink(s) applied to all accessible VRM Chokes (3M 8810 Adhesive Tape)
    • Fischer Elektronik Aluminum (Pin Fin) natural convection heat sinks applied to all accessible VRM Chokes > 9mm
    • Note: I only applied these additional heat sinks owing to the advantageous design of the GT63. As there are no direct air intakes above the fan intakes, air must pass through the large central vent on the base of the unit, flowing over the internal components before entering the fan intake. Heat sink form factor and "type" is critical to success (or seeing a measurable improvement). I conducted extensive research via academic articles and research papers into which would be the most applicable and beneficial within the GT63 chassis given specific air flow/velocity characteristics. Pin Fin arrays are excellent in situations where airflow is not necessarily linear (i.e. situations of forced convection) and air velocity is minimal (see image attached for reference).
    This is just a quick run down. I have numerous posts in the Owners Forum regarding my laptop should anyone wish to see more. Within ambient temperatures of 28 - 31 degrees Celsius (hot), neither my GPU or CPU exceed 90 degrees Celsius (click for results).

As an aside - I love this laptop :D

Attached Files:

Semmy and ryzeki like this.