MSI GT63 - a mistake?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Halfmystic, Sep 27, 2018.

1. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Is it just me, or is the GT63 heatsink actually worse than that of the Tornado F5/16L13?

[​IMG]
    Two of the CPU heatpipes (in red) overlap other heatpipe(s) at the CPU core or the fins. That can't be efficient, right? And then there's the heatpipe (in green) that dumps its heat onto the memory chips and memory VRM on the GPU.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^This design is less unified. The CPU and GPU core each get 3 independent non-overlapping heatpipes running to their fins. And the shared heatpipe in the middle can be disconnected by unscrewing that plate to prevent the CPU and GPU core from puking heat onto each other.

Semmy and Falkentyne like this.
  2. Halfmystic

Halfmystic Newbie

Reputations:
    Just received my GT63 - the temps are very very bad. On both the GPU and CPU, it hits a consistent 93c in Assassin's Creed Origins after about 10 minutes of gameplay. When I tried to benchmark it through Aida64, it didn't thermal throttle ( surprising ) but maybe it should if it's reaching this temp without anything stopping it.

The fan noise is incredibly low, however. I barely hear it even on full load.. gonna mess with the volts and fan curve, see if that helps.

3. Halfmystic

Halfmystic Newbie

Reputations:
    Fan curve and undervolting by 140 gave me about a 5c decrease in load temps - overall not very impressed, but the laptop itself performance-wise other than the heat? Excellent. I almost wish I was ignorance of temps so I wouldn't have it in the back of my head that my laptop is ON FIRE, because I would never notice it without my performance tools.

Shark00n likes this.
  4. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Fulfilled by amazon? Doesn't have to be prime.

Just contact amazon and complain lots about the laptop and its faulty cooling solution.

I'm not sure how to help you, short of getting physical access of the machine.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  5. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    I don't think the pads need to be replaced, they're decent enough at stock. Unless you spot one that's way too thick from excessive pressure marks.

What do you mean heatpipe work in reverse like on the AW models?

That they actually work?

Have you tried the full speed fan boost mode?

Or you can just return it and claim faulty temperatures alongside every single complaint you can think of.

6. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    AW notebooks use the CPU as a heatsink instead of the actual heatsink. People have done GPU only tests and had 90c on the CPU.

7. Mobius 1

Reputations:

Ah right, the cpu has 3 pipes going to the fins but the gpu only 2.

8. Halfmystic

Halfmystic Newbie

Reputations:
    If I put LM on this, would you guys recommend the laptop or do you just all say send it back and get something else? I thought this was a value, but maybe I'm mistaken.

9. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    just test it if its bad, send it back.

10. turbo87

turbo87 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Also, if you decide to purchase again. I would recommend getting it from HID. The price is the same (with current promo and NBR discount), but you get their thermal treatment and TS, etc. Good luck with whatever you decide.