MSI GT63 - a mistake?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Halfmystic, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You can return with amazon's policy right? Say the machine overheats and it bothers you a lot if it doesn't perform as advertised.

It's not that I don't like it, my comment applies to every single 8th gen laptops right now, they are built with the mindset of cooling quadcore 45w parts while in reality you're dealing with 70+w hexcore parts with massively increased thermal density.

If you can't return it, I can help you fix it (probably).

2. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I repaded and applied LM for the third time. Temps dropped a bit more. Now they average ~87C on both CPU and GPU. Still there's small spikes to 93C or 91C respectively.
    I'm sure the heatsink fit has something to do with it. But it's mostly the 8750H+1080 combo. It's a whopper! The heatsink seems to be very similar to last gen but has to deal with a bigger load. No miracles here.

I have a 150mv undervolt and it's barely making any difference...

It's on sport mode, auto fans so that's probably the fans being slow to ramp up on some quicker loads.
    Noise level is acceptable in auto mode. Not so much in max speed. A custom fan curve somewhere between should help even further.

You guys think I would get better results with Phobya nanogrease?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  3. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It may take some fiddling with different pad thicknesses and placements to get the contact just right. What are your temps like with max fans?

4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Barely?
    It makes no difference at all. Undervolt doesn't do anything other than improve performance in your case. The thing with your CPU is, that it is power limit throttled, it will hit power limit of 45Watts, once you undervolt, it will still hit 45W power limit, but with higher clockspeeds.

That being said. There is clearly something wrong. You have 4 heatpipes and a huge dedicated fan for a puny 45W CPU. My 4940MX @ 4.5ghz uses ~90 Watts on a modded 4 heatpipe CPU cooling solution and runs around ~75c. I've seen 2 heatpipe small fan solutions that handle 45W much better, so clearly either bad fit (which I doubt) or another factor. Sadly I haven't had a GT 63 yet, so I can't do the diagnosis on it and find out for sure, but I suspect it shares the same symptoms as the AW notebooks do.

5. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm hitting thermal throttling before I even get into power limit throttling. But yeah the undervolt allows for higher clocks overall.

There's heatpipes but fins also count and add mass. The heatsink isn't very heavy. I'm afraid the glossy heatpipe fest is more for show...

6. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Just to feed my curiosity. Do you mind taking detailed pictures of this heatsink set for the GTX1080 variant GT63?

7. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here you go
    https://i.imgur.com/zt5zKnU.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/ONaxe0j.jpg

stock pads
    https://i.imgur.com/F1rItD7.jpg

arctic pads
    https://i.imgur.com/VrIMm7n.jpg

I don't have access to Phobya ng right now. Maybe I'll try with some Noctua NT-H1 later. It's highly viscous so might deal with the gaps a bit better. I just feel like there's not much pressure to aid LM application.

Removing the undervolt causes havok. CPU spikes to 98C. GPU never goes past 91C again.
    Average clocks on the CPU are around 3.2 while with uv they are closer to 3.7GHz so the uv is def helping a lot.
    Tested on BF1 on ultra, same map and location over 20mins. Sport mode + auto fans.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  8. Halfmystic

Halfmystic Newbie

Reputations:
    Sadly it was through a third party, so I'm not sure if Amazon's return policy applies here. I would love some assistance for sure, if you don't mind.

9. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    The cooling is still wayyyyy more than enough for 45W. I have the feeling it has the "aw" syndrome. Can you idle around for 10minutes, then start a GPU only test and see if the CPU temps rises? I have the feeling that the Heatpipes work in reverse like on the AW models.

10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Please open HWinfo64 and have the CPU VID showing with the current and max VID, and run a stress test for a few minutes, then take a screenshot.
    Prime95 works. Edit local.txt in the prime95 folder and add the line CPUSupportsAVX=0 then do a small FFT test for a few minutes. Make sure cpu temp is shown for each core as well.