MSI GT63 - a mistake?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Halfmystic, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Halfmystic

Halfmystic Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone - recently I found a MSI GT63 at the following link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C94H7TL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My thoughts were, "this is a pretty good price for a reasonably sided portable laptop that can possibly replace my desktop PC while also being able to be brought to work, AND a full GTX 1080! Count me in!", so I ordered it.

And then I started obsessively looking for reviews - there are not many at all, but the ones I did find kept saying the same thing, that the temps were awful.

So, my hopes with this laptop are to keep it for at least 3ish years before replacing it with something else. Maybe longer. Is the heat being put out by this thing ( around 90-95c on load for the CPU ) going to be a problem for me in terms of longevity?

I'd like to not have to put liquid metal on this thing myself, as I don't really trust my own unsteady hand, and seeing how it's already on it's way, I can't order it from HID to get it repasted by them.

Mostly just looking for reassurance or a firm smack on the face if I need it.

Thanks!

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    With some undervolting and repaste with ICDiamond/Kryonaut or GC_Gelid you'll not have any issues at all.

It's typical for users to run a notebook with stock thermal paste and then be suprised about the bad temps ._.

Halfmystic likes this.
  3. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I don't like it when they go over 90C, but if it's maxing out at 95 you can get under that with just a repaste, not even LM. As @Danishblunt suggested, those pastes are viscous enough that they'll make up for things like wider gap, uneven contact, etc between the spreader and chip, and you don't have to take extra precautions like with LM.

kimiraikkonen and Halfmystic like this.
  4. Halfmystic

Halfmystic Newbie

Reputations:
    Gotcha - well, I guess my other thought process was my warranty being voided. I guess there will be no way around it.

5. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    In most places you only void warranty now if you damage the computer during the procedure, or if the modification itself ends up being the reason for a failure (part of why I don't recommend anyone use LM unless they REALLY know what they're doing)

Papusan likes this.
  6. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have one.
    Can't get it under ~93C with kryonaut and 125mV undervolt.
    Even with LM temps aren't great. Still reaches 92C although at higher clocks. Already reduced the thickness of my foam once, maybe I'll try to thin it even more tomorrow but contact isn't great.(This in BF1 at ultra settings. PUBG it hovers around 83C)
    GPU is always at 90C.
    Heatsink looks great, but it has almost as much fins as heatpipes... CPU and GPU are super hot but the air coming out of the unit is just kinda warm... Considerably colder than most units I've owned.
    The fan curves also play a role. On auto it's pretty quiet. With a custom fan curve (still well below max speed) you can squeeze out a couple degrees.

Right now I have LM, foam dams and stock thermal pads.
    Maybe I'll switch out the thermal pads for something higher quality and squishier, maybe that'll help with contact.

7. Halfmystic

Halfmystic Newbie

Reputations:
    Those temps are horribly distressing and really bad with LM..

kimiraikkonen likes this.
  8. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The warranty will not be voided. It is actually illegal and unlawful to not honor the warranty on the basis of a broken seal.

The issue with the GT63 and 16L13 is that the pipes from CPU to heatsink fin (that actually dispels the heat) is very long. Shorter pipes with less bends are preferred to dump heat quickly to the fins.

It's also originally designed to only handle 4 core CPU and GTX 1070. But now they put more cores and a more powerful GPU. Temperature problems are bound to happen.

Papusan likes this.
  9. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If the CPU and GPU have high temps but the air coming out isn't very hot, that sounds like a bad heatsink contact situation that may be improved with repadding and/or lapping.

Papusan likes this.
  10. Halfmystic

Halfmystic Newbie

Reputations:

This sounds like you don't really like the design of the GT63 - which based on the information I guess I could understand that. Wish I knew beforehand. I'm also surprised MSI would let that be a thing, seeing as how they seem somewhat popular.