MSI GS75 Stealth vs MSI GE75 vs ASUS ROG STRIX II

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by PH0B0S, Feb 7, 2019.

1. PH0B0S

PH0B0S Newbie

Reputations:
    ==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

Under $2500

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

Looking for like a max of 1.25" thickness

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

I don't really know much about the brands hence asking here.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Gaming - World of Warcaft / CSGO / Path Of Exile / Overwatch

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

I will be taking it different places, but will pretty much always be playing with the brick on a desk.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)

Yes - World of Warcraft / CSGO / Path of Exile / Overwatch

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Pretty much irrelevant as I'll be using the brick 99% of the time.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

I don't really mind not seeing them as I'm pretty good with dimensions, etc.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)

1920 x 1080

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

Not super important.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Sort of, which is a bit at play here.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

512GB

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?

Soon within a month.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?

5 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?

If it fails it wouldn't be a big issues for me.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

Probably the latter

---------

Hi there everyone, so I'm pretty new to purchasing any sort of gaming laptop. Basically I've been tearing my hair out the past few days look at benchmarks, reviews, etc and I think I've narrowed it down to 3.

Initially, I really wanted to go with the GS75 (RTX 2060) Stealth. It's so sleek and portable and it seems like it has the power to run everything I'm going to want and a bit more in case I wanna pop something on there a bit more intensive. However, my reservations started when I was thinking about thermal situations. I've heard the laptops gets very hot. I'm going to be playing on a table so I don't mind if the underside is hot, but my issue is really that I don't want the thermal throttling to kill the CPU performance.

So far I've seen this post like around 1k cinebench scores completely stock, and I was planning on having it custon built using the better paste options available, etc. (I've built my own computers, but I'd rather not **** with taking these tiny things apart).

So that actually seems pretty decent?

However, moving on from that I'm like why not just get something a little thicker and be done with all the worries whatsoever? And while I'm going thicker I might as well throw in RTX 2070 (non-maxQ).

So that got me looking at the STRIX II and the GE75. Now, on paper, I wanna go with the STRIX all day. It doesn't look nearly as gaudy, it's a little slimmer, etc. But the problem is I've been reading threads on here that ASUS sucks and there are thermal issues (even on the bigger build) as well as BIOS / Firmware problems. I kinda want this to be working from the get go and don't really want it to turn into a project so that makes me a little weary. I was wondering if anyone knows if these problems are fixed in the STRIX II? As it seems like a lot of the bad reviews I'm seeing are from the original line?

So from there I'm like. Alright, you know what? I don't really like the look of the GE75 as much, it's a bit thicker, but it's still relatively thin and I'm mostly using this for gaming so I'll just go with that. Then I see this GenTech video...

And the cinebench score on this thing just seems... well atrocious? So I figure at this point the thing must be experiencing thermal throttling or something, which I figured would be a lot better in this thicker laptop. But apparently, this CPU just runs hot wherever it is?

But when I look at this video from the STRIX II it has a much better score even though it seems to be running at the same temps?

I know individual components can vary a bit, but that score from the GE75 just seems... pathetic.

Also, this run they showed from the GS65 Stealth seemed to have a lower 'score' but higher FPS.

I'm the first to admit I'm not entirely sure what's being measured here, and I'm just wondering why the cb score would be lower but with a higher FPS value, which one is more important, etc? Either way in the GE75 video both scores were pretty low.

Anyways, any and all help would be greatly appreciated! If I need to provide anymore details just let me know I'll be monitoring this closely! Thanks again!

clintium likes this.
  2. evangelionpunk

evangelionpunk Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Firestrike
    ---
    GE75-RTX2080 18734 / 24285 / 15435
    GL704-RTX2070 16843 / 19740 / 16093
    GS65-GTX1070 12992 / 14961 / 14357

Cinebench
    ----
    75.43fps /1016cpu
    92.13fps /1242cpu
    108.24fps /1053cpu

The firestrike score shows the rtx2080 in the GE75 getting the highest graphics score. The step down to 2070 seems about right. Cinebench might just not be optimized or the system is throttling somewhat or its single ram slot being used rather than dual channel? In the GE75 thread a member with LM fujipoly repaste from hidevolution with dual channel ram OCed his to hit 28000 in firestrike https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/33077065?

3. PH0B0S

PH0B0S Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I've seen some of the crazy cooling with LM. Do you think it's safe? I assume these guys typically cover their stuff if you have it done through them?

4. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Raider with LM from HIDevolution!

5. Le Quan

Le Quan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    People from GE75 owner's lounge are reporting great results. Liquid Metal is amazing but a proper repaste can do just fine.

sush33king likes this.
  6. evangelionpunk

evangelionpunk Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hidevolution warranties the whole system and haven't read of a single failed unit or really anything bad about them. You can do it yourself too but be careful to take proper precautions. Seems even stock with no mods or LM still runs quite good as shown by a member spudman.