MSI GS73VR vs Clevo P670RS-G

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by MitchTJones, Nov 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MitchTJones

MitchTJones Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Guys!

I've been doing some serious research into Pascal based gaming notebooks and, after finding the Aorus X7 v6, I thought I was done - until I saw the price tag.
    So I've widdled it down to two (maybe three) options: the MSI GS73VR, Clevo P670RS-G, and maybe the Aorus X7 v6-PC3D.

I'd customize them (through GenTechPC, Xotic PC or HIDEvolution (or ProStar for the Clevo)) to have 256GB NVMe SSD's and apply thermal paste - preferably the Liquid Ultra from GenTech or HIDEvolution :)

So I used NotebookCheck's reviews (GS73VR, P670RS, X7 v6) to get the information I'll reference throughout this post...

I'm a student, so I'll be carrying this around with me daily and using it for class, I previously carried around a >2" thick MSI GT70, so all of these would be an improvement.

The MSI GS73VR is just over a pound lighter and 0.23/0.41 inches thinner than the other two, which is really appealing - it also has good temperatures for it's thickness (80-90 C), and is actually a bit quieter than the much thicker P670RS, but still louder, on average, than the X7 v6. It's also the only one with Thunderbolt 3, which seems useful, and that 120Hz screen looks very interesting - although the 1060 won't reach 120 FPS at max settings on most games...
    The cons for the GS73VR would be the performance of the 1060 vs the 1070, which seems to be about 33% worse than the 1070 in terms of FPS, 37% if you compare it to the overclocked one in the X7 v6.

The Clevo P670RS appears to be the perfect compromise - a GTX 1070 for the same price as the GS73VR, and the option for an i7-6820HK instead of the underpowerse 6700HQ!
    The problems are that it's the thickest one on the list and seems to not use it's 1070 as effectively as the Aorus, getting about 10 FPS less in most games at 1080p. Also, the 1080p 60Hz display seems underpowered for a 1070 - although it can be overclocked to 75Hz, luckily!

The Aorus is the best of the bunch, with the best GPU and CPU, running cooler than the GS73 and as cool as the P670 and quite a bit quieter (at load, on average - it's absolute max is louder than the P670 and GS73VR) - but that $2300 price point is difficult to swallow... and it's still got an underpowered 1080p 60Hz display - the 1440p 120Hz option skyrocketing the price up by $400!

Essentially, I have a few questions:
    1) I plan on recording/streaming, at what point (dB) will the sound from my laptop start to get picked up by my (Blue Snowball) microphone? This was an issue that was always a pain to edit out on my GT70 and made streaming especially annoying.
    2) I'm a student - is the thinness and lightness of the GS73VR worth the decreased performance? The idea of it being Thunderbolt 3 capable makes eGPU's interesting so I won't have to upgrade in the future, but then I'm worried about the seemingly underpowered i7-6700HQ bottlenecking, which leads me right to...
    3) Is the 6700HQ as underpowered as it seems? It's on-par, performance-wise, with the 4720HQ from my old GT70! Since I do stream/record and I love playing Arma, a CPU-intensive game, what will be the practical differences between the 6820HK and the 6700HQ? Do I need a 6820HK for recording/streaming/editing and will it run Arma better?
    4) Right-hand IO - why do so many manufacturers do this?? I feel like it would be pretty difficult to use a mouse with all of my video/usb/power cables coming out of the right-side of my GS73VR (both the Aorus and P670 have all essential ports on the back/left). Does anyone have any experience with this?

Essentially, the gamer in me wants the overclocked GTX 1070 in the Aorus, but it doesn't seem to pay attention to my wallet, and the practical student in me wants the thinness and lightness of the GS73VR, but I'm worried about the performance of the i7-6700HQ and the right-hand-side IO... The P670RS is a more budget-friendly GTX 1070 laptop, but the added thickness doesn't seem too enticing.

Thanks so much in advance for your replies!

2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    1. Hard to tell
    2. My P650RS is easy enough to carry around, I'd recommend that if portability is a concern
    3. Eh kinda. It's still plenty good cpus just aren't moving. Without an overclock the 6820hk is like 5% better. If you OC it's worth it otherwise not at all.
    4. *Shrug*

Also note the P670RS starts at 75Hz, it can usually OC to near 100Hz.

The Aorus should also run hotter than the P670 overall. Review units can differ but the P670 just has a better cooling system with more room. The Aorus is impressive for how thin it is though.

3. montobrah

montobrah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    IMO the GS73VR's screen is the best you can get. I'm going to have a hard time using any other laptop display after using this one. Looks sharper than a lot of 4K screens (strangely), beautiful colors, and a massive difference in smoothness in all applications. I find I get everything done faster thanks to the smoothness. It's a sick laptop if you don't get a lemon like I did. I do recommend undervolting though - takes heavily loaded 6700HQ from 85+ C to low 70's. GPU always gets good temperatures thanks to the two fans and the body of the laptop is always cool thanks to the venting/using the body as a heatsink design.

4. bwolmarans

bwolmarans Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have never logged serious time on g-sync vs non-g-sync, but I still think that I will not buy gs73vr because it does not have g-sync. 1060 will not push > 120fps in most games of today, so I think gs73vr would be better with g-sync.
    just my opinion.

5. bwolmarans

Reputations:
    I don't want the clevo or the aurus because they don't have thunderbolt.
    I feel like thunderbolt is going to be useful over next couple of years for networking and other things, and possible, graphics amp if vr takes off and you need really powerful graphics card in a few years to do vr 2 or 3 years from now.

6. Galm

Reputations:
    Are you realistically going to be using it for networking? As an eGPU thunderbolt III is already beginning to be a bottleneck on the highest end cards, and that problem will continue to get worse. If those laptops fit your criteria in everyway except thunderbolt I would strongly advise getting them. I would not say buying a laptop planning on using it for eGPU VR in 3 years is a good idea. Plenty of issues could come up by then.

An MSI GS73 overall will be a worse gaming experience than a 670RS. That should weigh more heavily than TB III. The Titan XP bottlenecks all the way down to a 1080 in the core for eGPU.

7. bwolmarans

Reputations:
    I might use it for networking.
    I do a lot of networking
    But that's a maybe.
    High speed storage? That's more likely, but I have no plans to connect it to high speed storage.
    Again another maybe.
    High end graphics card was the main reason to be honest.
    But if a high end graphics card today is already bottlenecked by thunderbolt, then now I don't want thunderbolt anymore, as that was the main reason to get it.
    OK, well, then (deep breath) I'll look at the clevo again, via one of the los angeles resellers or maybe xotic.

8. Galm

Reputations:
    It's just for everything but eGPU (which like I said is bottlenecking already) USB 3.1 is still pretty dang fast at 10Gb/s.

bwolmarans likes this.
  9. Zer0 Access

Zer0 Access Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Interesting I've been trying to decide the same things as you. Have you bought yet? Also in terms of streaming you bought yourself a microphone? How well did it do in terms of cancelling the laptop sound? I tried streaming and people said it sounded like an aeroplane engine in the background. Also when I typed it was extremely loud

10. Galm

Reputations:
    Which laptop are you referring to? The GS73 will be loud as it's so thin. The Clevo isn't quiet but isn't quite as bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.