1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Msi gs70

Discussion in 'MSI' started by cotolay, Jun 26, 2013.

1. ameybhavsar

ameybhavsar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  2. aaronjb

aaronjb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looks like it's in stock on NewEgg. Thinking of going in for this.

3. uzun

uzun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm weak, and need a new laptop. I ordered it from newegg first thing. I guess I will just risk overheating, but I do like the form factor and hardware in this thing a lot. I'll probably use XTU and undervolt it 0.1V or so and hope for the best.

-Roger

4. Albake21

Albake21 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If they made a 14" version of this thing I would be throwing my money at MSI so fast, I wouldn't have a care in the world.

5. bkoon1218

bkoon1218 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The benchmark scores aren't too far off from what the Asus G750 puts out, so I'm still being hopeful on the throttling.

6. Hoytech

Hoytech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, I ordered a Razer Blade Pro about a week ago and this finally decides to come out... I really hope I made the right choice since this looks to have the edge over the Blade in many different aspects and for a better price too :(.

7. ryukenden

ryukenden Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I second this. from what i can tell only the razer blade 14 is the only laptop with this performance and thinness. 17" being razer blade pro and gs70. No other laptop out there being comparable, am i correct?

8. alucasa

alucasa Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Seconded, errr thirded.

10 char

9. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  10. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    But does it handle heat well?

11. DarkMx2000

DarkMx2000 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  12. uzun

uzun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yea I ordered from Newegg earlier today, should be here tomorrow (Tues the 6th). I bet it won't handle heat that well, I ordered a laptop cooling pad and plan to undervolt it a bit.

13. zufir

zufir Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  14. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It looks like MSI is sticking with the SanDisk X100 as the stock mSATA SSDs.

Probably a great thing to do is a quality repaste on the CPU and GPU soon after receiving this model or have a reseller like Gentech do it for you if you decide to purchase from them.

The factory TC application has been known to not be the best in the method of TC application.

15. mavericke

mavericke Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For those of you who is interested to acquire one piece in the UK, Box.co.uk is selling them for around £1500 for the 128GB in RAID 0. You can also acquire one from overclockers.co.uk.

I think I might just swap my GE40 for the GS 70 instead.

16. uzun

uzun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Mine arrived this morning. I am trying to get it configured and get used to Windows 8. I will run Prime95 and Furmark and see what temps do once I get it setup and updated/cleaned.

17. OC-Freak

OC-Freak Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Watched video halfway, realized it has no ODD and lost interest. :( Thanks for the video anyway.

Looks like I'll still have to wait for the upcoming gigabyte P35K

18. crusher

crusher Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Cool. So is it warm now while configuring it and moving around Windows? I'd think that could be a fairly good indication of how it would be just web browsing and other simple stuff. While I game, most of my time is browsing the web and such.

19. uzun

uzun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The CPU and GPU run cool in normal desktop stuff. Intel XTU does let me adjust the Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset and Processor Cache Voltage Offset to undervolt, but that's not making much diff temp wise that I can see (-90 mv settings).

I am running Prime95 heat/cpu stress test. Temps are staying in the 92-99 C range which is pretty high, but the CPU is not throttling and with all 4 cores slammed at 100% it maintains a 2.9 GHZ clock which is great. I am running 8 threads to max out all cores.

I will run furmark once I let this cook for an hour or so and see how high it goes. So far it climbed rapidly to the mid- upper 90s but then falls back to low 90s, back up to mid-uppers and so on. It doesnt seem to be climbing overall.

I did run a quick furmark benchmark and that completed fine and didnt heat up the GPU at all really. But I need to run furmark much longer to see if that overheats. I am guessing the GPU will be fine, its these Haswell CPU's that really get hot.

So far high temps, but no throttling and maintains a high CPU clock regardless.

-Roger

20. bkoon1218

bkoon1218 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What are general safe temperatures for the CPU and GPU? Up to 99 °C sounds toasty.