MSI GS70 Stealth Pro Theard

Discussion in 'MSI' started by charliex3, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cisco78

Cisco78 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Has anyone installed anything other than the default RAM? I'm curious if bumping up to Corsair, Crucial or Kingston will net much of a performance increase. I leaning towards no.

And I'm also considering rolling with the stock 098 mSata drives or going the 099 and using two 250GB Samsung EVOs. Leaning towards the EVOs, but wasnt sure what the stock mSata drives are for the 098. Wish they would just say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. ZerockX

ZerockX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I changed the ram before with the Asus (stock to Kingston), nothing but a waste of money. It gives you a premium feeling yes, but nothing other than that.

3. s1rrah

s1rrah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The make of the RAM is not a concern.

The *amount* of RAM can make a difference if you use your laptop for certain things.

For instance: my G70 has 12gb of RAM by default.

Personally, I do lots of video editing/work and I can use as much "system" RAM as I can get ...

Therefore, I will be upgrading my system RAM from 12gb to 16gb in the very near future...

Otherwise, if you have no specific, work related need?, you can get by and do just fine with 8gb in regards to a gaming machine ....

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  4. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    8GB is typically enough for most of usages, so unless you do video editing/graphic design/some CAD/data crunching then you will need more RAM.

5. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For RAID 0, I don't need all same drives right? I currently have a single 500gb and 1TB Samsung 840 msata and was thinking of getting another 500gb to do 2 or 3 drive RAID 0.

-Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

6. Cisco78

Cisco78 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I was under the assumption that identical drives are required, but perhaps that's changed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did a little research and yes its preferable if you have same make, model & whatnot but still possible to mix & match with some possible drawbacks. Guess if I decided to go RAID 0, i'll just go with 2x or 3x 500gb.

8. ohms139

ohms139 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all,

I just got my Stealthpro-024 today from Microcenter after selling my Alienware M18X; it was just getting too damn heavy. I got an open box for $1425.00 after a little bit of haggling. I was very surprised to find that it was in mint condition after opening it when I got home.

It's a great laptop but my only complaint is how terrible the track pad is. I would never use the track pad while gaming but for general use it is quite terrible, is there anything that could be done to improve it?

Also, how many mSATA connectors does it have? I watched a Stealthpro review and disassembly video on Youtube and it showed three. Are all Stealthpro's configured the same way when it comes to mSATA connectors?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  9. s1rrah

s1rrah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've read other similar comments about the track pad but I personally don't find anything bad about it other than the track surface is a little "rough" or "textured" feeling. Otherwise, it works like any other track pad I've used; it's accurate, responds to tapping well, etc. What problem are you finding with the track pad, specifically? Perhaps you can update the laptop firmware or the trackpad firmware? Perhaps ensure your drivers are up to date?

Other than those last suggestions, unless there is some obvious mechanical issue causing it to malfunction, I can't think of anything else in s far as solutions.

And regarding mSATA slots ... you should have three mSATA slots. The main two are very easy to see. The last mSATA plug is directly to the left of the two main slots (if looking at laptop innards with fans at top). On mine, the third plug was covered by a bit of that grey plastic that is used to cover certain components inside the laptop and had to be lifted away to expose the mSATA plug. The three mSATA slots were a major selling point for me as you can build a wicked fast x3 drive RAID 0 array ...

Enjoy your new laptop ...

10. ohms139

ohms139 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't know but it just is too overly responsive/sensitive for my liking. Even with disabling tapping, the two and three finger clicking and the edge swiping features it still feels wonky, that's all I can really say. I can't explain it, it just doesn't feel very fluid as other track pads I've had on previous laptops.

The lack of separate buttons from the track pad is also a HUGE negative.

As for your suggestion I will have to see if there is a newer firmware.

Thank you very much sir, I am extremely happy to find out that the Stealthpro does indeed have three mSATA connectors. I will definitely be purchasing two more to build a sick Raid 0 array.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.