MSI GS70 Stealth Pro Theard

Discussion in 'MSI' started by charliex3, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charliex3

charliex3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

CPU: i7-4700MQ
    GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 870M (3GB GDDR5) = Slightly slower than GTX 780M
    HDD: Up to 768GB Super RAID 2 + 1TB HDD 7200rpm
    Battery: 6-Cell Li-Polymer (5400mAh 60Wh)

Will it overheat or not? I am really interested in this laptop but i am really curious about overheating and throtling and of course batter life.

So what do you think guys about new GS70 Pro?

2. sangemaru

sangemaru Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It will surely run hot, although it could be designed to operate at high temps (think high 80's for GPU with good cooling unless they really improved on the design).
    Battery life should be great with the new nvidia battery boost tech, probably around 5-7 hours.
    Looks delicious.

3. ygohome

ygohome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I really like all of these powerful ultra thin laptops becoming available.

I'm looking for something to use as a workstation/gaming machine. I was looking into the new Razer Blade 14 with 870m. But to try using that as a workstation limited at 8GB and 512GB storage makes it not ideal.

This new GS70 with 870m ... upgradable to 16GB (for VMs) and plenty of storage exansion (3 x mSATA plus 2.5" drive) looks perfect to me.

I still wish I could get up to 32GB though (again, for VMs). But 16GB may work since I'll likely not be trying to run all VMs at once.

4. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Is the thin factor really that important to you? Because it seems the GT series could really acomodate your need of 32GB of RAM. Indeed, it is helpful with VMs.

5. arkham

arkham Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I theard it was great! ;) Seriously, this is the one I am leaning towards now. I'm hoping there's a 3K option for it, like the GS60 Ghost apparently offers. I'm afraid that this model seems to good to be true, so I'm looking forward to some serious hands-on reviews.

("Serious" as in the reviewer will know the specs and won't be wearing two pairs of sunglasses like this guy.)

ygohome and charliex3 like this.
  6. arkham

Reputations:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDpAWVqr9-Y

This might be old for some of you, but I found this one today. It's the same mumbly MSI rep as in the other CES videos, but here we get a bit more info on the cooling (fans, intake), audio, and multiple display capability.

New for me is the confirmation that you can use the laptop display in addition to the 3 external displays.

7. kevinelia

kevinelia Newbie

Reputations:
    Do you guys know how much roughly it costs? I am really really interested in this laptop. In the website it doesn't state the price. Will it be the same as the previous GS70?

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It should be in a similar region.

9. Babel-Babble

Babel-Babble Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I really dislike how gaming laptop makers will have a 20-foot-long features scroll but zero information on price or availability.

MSI has the GS70 2PE Stealth Pro page up, it's colorful and pitchy, but not even a "Coming 2nd Quarter 2014" or anything!

10. arkham

Reputations:
    It's available for preorder between $1600-2100 (Base/Pro) at a few online retailers with an est. delivery date of 2-3 weeks. That's a good start. That's all I have to go on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.