MSI GS65?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by flyflyfly37, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyflyfly37

flyflyfly37 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey everyone,

I'm new to the community and just wanted to say hello to you guys really quick before I bombard people with questions...

So I've been looking for a new laptop for a while now and after talking to Galm on Linus Tech Tips' community forum, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the MSI GS65. (Over Aero 15x).

Few questions though, I have seen folks on here advising against the GS65. Do you guys mind commenting and explain again?

Secondly, I'm trying to decide between buying it from HIDevolution and GenTechPC, the difference here is about $200 for the same setup. Suggestions and advice as to which company to go with? (I'm in the US, DC to be specific)

Thanks for reading/helping!

F337

Anthony Accioly and Galm like this.
  2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    I'm here too lol.

So the difference is only 200 dollars? You said 800 via pm... That's nuts, 200 is less so.

My own advice is still against the GS65... For now. I want to wait and see how it does. If I needed a slim portable gaming laptop the list of real options is short. The GS65 would still be on it.

Anthony Accioly and flyflyfly37 like this.
  3. flyflyfly37

flyflyfly37 Newbie

Reputations:
    lol Hi haha. Yeah I forgot to check and went with the listing prices on the web pages when I pm'd you... Sorry about that.. And yeah, I don't plan on pulling the trigger right away. Trying to gather as much information on it as I can before I actually do it. I agree, waiting to see how they perform is a great idea.

I do still wonder about the extra $200 though...

4. Ice Cold

Ice Cold Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I got the Aero 15x for a few reasons and Not the GS65.

GS65 you can not access the RAM or M.2Drive it’s under the mono which is flipped inside the case. In order to get to the RAM you need to disassemble the whole Laptop.
    The Aero 15x has a nicer keyboard layout.
    The Aero 15x has a Huge Battery which is easy to replace. Not glued in.
    Lastly the Aero 15x has A nicer Display thin Bezels and Color calibrated Display.

PabloW92 likes this.
  5. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Borth are good but I've owned 4 laptops from HIDevolution and they were all perfect and they do an excellent job in terms of the thermal paste application and thay have their own mods for many laptops that help keeps the temps down.

For example, on the GS65, you wanna select this option:

Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on CPU + GPU, and Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads on heat sensitive surfaces – BEST PERFORMANCE – installed by HIDevolution +$95.00

Don't forget, if you email donald@hidevolution.com and tell him your NBR Forum username, you can get the NBR Discount to help offset the cost

Also, from my experience with HIDevolution, when I did face a problem with MSI, HIDevolution helped me resolve the issue by reaching out to their senior contacts at MSI who then got me sorted. I had a problem with GSYNC not working on one of my previous MSI laptops.

6. flyflyfly37

flyflyfly37 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks @Phoenix! That does sound pretty amazing! One of the problems I have with going with HID right now is the fact that GenTech is having their Spring Sale, which gets me the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut on CPU/GPU for $0.01. In other words, I would be spending close to $300 more for some thermal pads and nicer customer service... Unless the NBR Discount is THAT great, I don't think it makes financial sense to go with HID at the moment.

7. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    That's not a sale. GenTech has had Conductonaut for a cent for nearly a year. They basically change it so whatever time of year it is, that's the "special". Doesn't change the point that it is cheaper, it's just always cheaper not just this time. No pads though of course.

8. cranker2k

cranker2k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have ordered GS65. Even though Aero has bigger battery capacity and probably easier to access upgradable components, but I can't see myself productive in a full keyboard cramped into a 14" case. I don't use numpad, so prefer a centered keyboard with "regular" sized keys. Aero's keyboard seem impossible to do serious text editing without hitting adjacent keys or onto numeric keypad. Just the keyboard layout alone I can't go with Aero. I heard about the fan noise level (+4db higher) but keyboard is a deal breaker.

However if the GS65's keys are too mushy, then that won't work for me either.

9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    well.....when it comes to msi ask and take whatever phoenix says.

edit so don't go in blindly....but seriously out of the 500 000 members he knows tops.

my knowledge

msi has a more colorful screen at 97percent....aero at 77percent
    gs65 has equal battery life despite lower whr
    if you wanna skype you might wanna warn people whats up your nose with the aero
    if you wanna upgrade ram or nvme....go for the aero
    and as a pro youtuber dave2d said...there really isnt anything wrong with the gs65 so i will have to really nit pick.. aka find problems where they dont really exist.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  10. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    what i gathered from that video is the slight flex above the keyboard moves and should have a spacer...and power outlet and ports are cramped....nothing to really be deal breakers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.