MSI GS65 vs Thinkpad X1 Extreme i7 - Reliability

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by forcemethod, Apr 3, 2019.

?

Which is the better laptop GS65 or X1 Extreme?

1. X1 Extreme

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. MSI GS65

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. forcemethod

forcemethod Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all, I need to buy a laptop in the next few days and have shortlisted to these two similarly sized laptops.

I will be using it mostly as a workhorse viewing 3D models and Architectural Drawings. Pricing is very similar between these 2 models:
    X1 Extreme - i7, 1TB, 16GB, GTX1050Ti
    MSI GS65 - i7, 512GB, 16GB, RTX2060

I understand the Thinkpad has better build quality and possibly support (however if anyting goes wrong, you still have to post machine back to Lenovo which is same as MSI) However is it enough to offset the extra power of the GS65 or would the GS65 be solid enough contender for a business environment?

Using mostly office/3D viewing aplications will I get benefit from the RTX 2060 in the MSI vs the GTX1050Ti in the X1E?

Not sure which way to go here, really like both, but leaning towards the GS65 for the extra power , but part of me saying the reliability of the X1E is better suited to a work environment

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I mean they are two totally different minded systems. The X1 Extreme is a decently fast business laptop that will throttle under 100% CPU/GPU loads. The GS65 is a decently cooled thin gaming laptop that looks decent enough to bring into the office.

Lenovo offers onsite warranty options which I would consider if you are really using this for work and can't afford downtime. The X1E will likely be much more reliable and offer better support (my support from MSI has always been lackluster).

I'm not sure what you mean by "3D Viewing applications" but it doesn't sound like anything you would benefit from a faster GPU for. If you're gaming then sure the GS65 is a better system. For office applications the Lenovo is going to better in some regards like battery life. One downside to the X1E is the 1080P screen is not great so if you're used to really nice laptop screens I would consider that as well (my XPS 9570 screen was much much brighter and more colorful).

katalin_2003 likes this.
  3. forcemethod

Reputations:

Thanks for the reply. By 3D viewing I mean exploring 3D building BIM models in software such as Solibri.

I work in Construction Estimating therefore reliability is of utmost importance. You are right I came to the conclusion that the X1 is the smart choice given I will not be gaming on this machine ; I have a gaming desktop at home. Thanks again.

4. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    katalin_2003 and Vasudev like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Its best to extend the warranty for Onsite 2 yr warranty w/ accidental coverage, saves a lot of hassle.
    Then again, X1E is way more powerful than just viewing 3d models.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  6. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep I was going to say add onsite. That way they come to you. But from a 3D point of view you want the the gs65. It’s not even a debate there. The 2060 is on par with a 1070, Over twice the performance of a 1050 ti
    But I do prefer the x1e as a whole. Thinkpads are my favourite laptops. But I game so I’m leaning towards the gs65 especially because I wanted one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vasudev likes this.
  7. forcemethod

Reputations:
    Thanks all. I think the X1E was the right choice. Hoping it will not slow down like my current X1 Carbon when working within 3D building models and having multiple large PDF building plan drawings at the same time. Cheers!

8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Ohhh, if you put it that way, you might need to look at Lenovo P series and it seemed you needed a portable powerhouse for office/traveling. P52 with pascal 3000 should suffice considering the budget.

9. forcemethod

Reputations:
    I still need to carry the notebook back and forth from home and work each day. The P52 is $4043 AUD here with Intel Xeon E-2176M / 8GB / P2000 / 256GB. However the X1E with i7-8750H / 16GB / 1050Ti / 1TB for $2899 AUD. I think it seems the X1E is better value and will run rings around my current X1 Carbon 7300U / HD620 /8GB RAM for the next few years at least which has been getting me along. Hoping it will not need a repaste of the CPU/GPU though as I am not very handy opening up and fiddling with notebooks.

Cheers

10. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I thought you were from USA/Canada. Then X1E is the best option because in Australia the prices are crazy just like India. In India you can add extra 200-300$ for X1E and P52 with inferior specs.