MSI GS65 vs Gigabyte Aero 15x vs Asus ROG Strix GL504GS and etc

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by bl00dcat, Aug 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bl00dcat

bl00dcat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    2500$-2800$

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    15"
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    no preference
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    game\ Sony Vegas\ Photoshop\

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Needs to be portable

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Diablo3\ The Division\ Armored Warfare

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    5-6+ ...for work or web browsing

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    online is ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    win10

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    FHD (1920×1080)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    doesn't matter

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    not too much

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    500Gb+

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    this month or next

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    2+ years

hi2all !
    At first I looked at 15x, but I saw so many problems Aero with hardware and software on this forum. I do not want to pay more than 2.5k $ and have problems. Having bought gs65 you still have to change the thermal paste and do a undervolt for better performance, but if I understood correctly there are no problems with cooling, software and iron? I do not know anything about Asus)

Sadly Aero 15x have better cooling system,better battery, easier to maintain and i like led indicators, but they somehow use the old wi-fi module (i mean 802.11n + BT4) and it's not clear whether they can fix all the problems.

I in confusion can not decide what to buy.

2. Alatar

Alatar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You'd want to do an undervolt/repaste with any of these to get the most out of them.

I have a GS65 that I got from Best Buy and like it enough that I ordered a second one with a liquid metal repaste from HIDEvolution (order currently in process). The battery lasts me 6-8 hours just doing typing/browsing type stuff. Also, the keyboard is great - steelseries with per-key rgb if you care about that sort of thing. The main reason I didn't go with the 15x despite the better battery life is that I heard all over the place that the keyboard tends to be an issue on it. That said, on the GS65 there is some flex in the chassis that seems like it shouldn't be there - nothing that would cause damage but just lessens the overall feel of the unit.

Note if you do go with a 15x, you can order from a reseller like HIDEvolution and they can do the repaste and also put in a better wifi module. So I really wouldn't consider that an issue. For me, what it really came down to is the better keyboard vs somewhat better battery life. I figured I'd never really need that extra hour of battery so went with the more reliable keyboard.

bl00dcat likes this.
  3. bl00dcat

Reputations:
    Noted , ty !

Maybe i will go today at Best Buy and i hope they have GS65 :)
    I heard about HIDEvolution and GentechPC it's the same company, i mean you can order liquid metal repaste + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads also upgrade hardware, but on this site almost all people order at HIDEvolution ... why ? Is it a better company ?
    Unfortunately i can't find company where possible try to use keyboard Aero 15x. I agree w you, great keyboard is most important than 1+ hrs battery life. About module yes, i can buy and change it by my self, but why they sell old hardware in new expensive laptop and i saw people have many BSOD after replace hardware or update drivers.

Could you tell me about GS65 little bit more:
    - are speakers ok or sound is poor ?
    - when you see movie \ youtube, fan sound is very loud?
    - gs65 selling with non best memory 2400Mhz how do you think it's good idea to change on 2666 or i wouldn't feel anything in games\work ?

4. Alatar

Alatar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've never bought anything from Gentech, but I have ordered a couple from HIDEvolution. They just have great support.

You don't have to install the wifi module yourself if you buy from a reseller. They'll install it for you and remove the old one.

On the GS65:
    The speakers sound fine to me, but I don't care that much about sound so not sure how good they are compared to other things.
    Fan isn't super loud browsing or streaming video. It can get loud during gaming. That will be the same with anything in the light/thin category.
    2400mhz vs 2666mhz ram won't make a difference in anything except benchmarks. You won't be able to tell the difference in anything at all.

Going to best buy to check out a GS65 is definitely not a bad plan. They have them at every store anywhere near where I am - not sure about where you are if they do. You can check online if they have them in store before going down. That said, I wouldn't buy from there since you'll want to get it from somewhere that can do the repaste for you.

5. gnlu26

gnlu26 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Best Buy Pro-tip, set your location and under the photos of the machine, it will say if its on display at your local store. That way you can know ahead of time if you can try it out there or not.

You aren't going to find the Aero 15x at any store, only from online retailers. There are plenty of reviews though so you can get a general idea. Out of the slim and light trifecta, it seems the GS65 has the best keyboard. The Aero definitely has a high defect rate on the keyboard. On my Aero, the "D" key, and maybe the down arrow require more force than the other keys to actuate. Drove me up the wall when I first got the machine, but now I very rarely notice. I get like super anxious when my computer is on battery so typically I was always sitting next to an outlet with my old machine. Thats the biggest reason why I got the Aero, I knocked out an entire season of "You're the Worst" on battery, its great. The machine feels really solid, and while there are several reports of BSODs and software bugs, I have not had any issues with a clean install of windows. The build of the GS65 is certainly the worst of the 3 machines, but that doesn't make it bad.

I will also go ahead and answer those same questions but for the Aero, in case you're curious:
    - Speakers are throwaway garbage. They are honestly only there if you forget your headphones. I'm also a bit of an audiophile, but quality aside, the volume alone leaves a lot to be desired. Further, there is absolutely no low-end to these speakers, so don't expect anything bassy to sound good.
    - Fans aren't audible when watching a movie. As I said before I bingewatched a season on battery. That had the laptop just sitting on my bed, bottom vents completely covered and the machine didn't even get warm.
    - As Alatar said, 2400vs2666 its not gonna matter much. That is probably one of the worst price/fps upgrades you could do.

EDIT: Here's a video comparing FPS with RAM speed. Results on that machine showed ~6fps improvement between 2400 and 2666.

bl00dcat and Alatar like this.
  6. bl00dcat

Reputations:
    Ty for your answer !

If i got it right :
    - the keyboard's defect it's hardware problem and can't be fixed after patch\new firmware
    - if i get clean install of windows it's help me to resolve issues w BSOD
    - is it possible to change timings in BIOS like in MSI after unlock BIOS

if you have a chance go back in time and choose between Aero 15x and GS65 what would you choose ?

7. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    HIDevolution and GenTech PC are NOT the same company. They do offer similar upgrades however.

Also wanting 5-6 hours of battery life means the AUSS is out of the question. The Gigabyte Aero 15X or MSI GS65 would give you that though.

After choosing your laptop, if you email donald@hidevolution.com you can get the NBR discount

Vasudev likes this.
  8. gnlu26

gnlu26 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    - It appears to be to be a hardware defect. Very sloppy tolerances on manufacturing the keys.
    - Yes, but other users still report BSOD issues even with a clean install, I just have not experienced any
    - Don't think you can really do anything in the BIOS, its pretty locked down.

I would still go with the Aero. The keyboard issue is still there, but now that I've had time to adjust to the keyboard I hardly notice it. The build quality on the Aero just feels really nice, and I'm digging the amazing battery life. If I had to pick a different machine I think I would go with the Razer instead of the GS65 because of how solid the case is, and how clean it looks (I would probably get a sticker to cover the logo). But given Razer has yet to release a product that works after a year, I wasn't gonna risk it. So far though, a lot of users seem happy with the Razer itself, just some coil whine issues in the power supply and the fans are very loud.

9. bl00dcat

Reputations:
    Oh it's so difficult to make a choose )

now i assembled many information about laptops and combine it:

MSI GS65

Pros:
    - camera position
    - stable OS and spec soft (dragon center)
    - lighter
    - Keyboard quality
    - great BIOS setting for overclock memory and CPU
    - better sound speakers (not the best, but good)
    - newer wi-fi and BT module
    - don't have screen backlight bleed

Cons:
    - more flexible monitor
    - louder and more hottest (if compare between the same build - liquid metal + thermal pads)
    - battery capacity
    - don't have Led indicator - hdd load and another (it's not very important, but i like it)
    - don't have card reader
    - harder upgrade and get a maintenance because installed upside down motherboard
    - screen brightness 262 cd/m²

Gigabyte Aero 15x

Pros:
    - gread quality case (not flexible monitor)
    - battery capacity
    - card reader
    - quieter and more colder (if compare between the same build - liquid metal + thermal pads)
    - it's have many indicators
    - easy to make upgrade (memory or ssd) and get a maintenance
    - in stok have 2666Mhz G.Skill memory
    - X-Rite™ Pantone® certified display
    - screen brightness 300 cd/m²

Cons:
    - unstable OS and spec soft , very often BSOD ( you can't update all , before you reading review on this forum because you can get a BSOD)
    - camera position
    - sound speakers
    - older module wi-fi+Bt (but you can buy new version +40$)
    - locked down BIOS
    - keyboard ... uf ... so many issues w it ( double tap , don't work combination for ex: ctrl+shift+C , you need to press the button more strongly or press again to make it work and etc)
    - selling only with single channel memory bundle for dual channel you must buy second module

Introspection8 likes this.
  10. InOrderToSignIn

InOrderToSignIn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Very interesting write up. I just found this bit interesting, as I would consider that a bonus haha. To upgrade your memory, you only need to buy one stick. Whereas if you want to max out a 8gbx2 configuration, you have to buy 2 new sticks.

Is single channel really that much worse than dual channel?

gnlu26 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.