MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Josh Feliciano

Josh Feliciano Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for the response, in a perfect world that would work great. Unfortunately, to send support a question I need to register my laptop, but the registration fails because I have a refurbished laptop and the registration tool fails because it says my S/N is already in use. I'm sure I could spend a few hours in technical support hell getting that cleared up, but I was hoping to avoid it if possible. :)

2. Derek@TecnotecPC

Derek@TecnotecPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Haha, I see, the perfect storm. Email might not be the best route to start in your case but getting started on the phone shouldn't be too terrible if you explain where you're at and get a case number to communicate on.

Josh Feliciano likes this.
  3. jonjonk

jonjonk Notebook Ninja

Reputations:
    Has the fan noise problem been fixed yet?

4. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Some people got it and some don't, possibly a RMA option to get MSI to replace the defective fan.
    But best to call MSI support directly to find out if that's the case.

Josh Feliciano likes this.
  5. Pilot1nc0mmand

Pilot1nc0mmand Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, new to the forum here. Purchased the GS63VR (with 4K screen) from Memory Express here in Canada yesterday and right out of the box I noticed the left speaker didn't sound right. Upon closer inspection, it sounds like as if it's been blown or possess a very persistent crackling when in use. I went ahead as far as uninstalling all the drivers and reinstalling everything, as well as disabling Nahimic altogether but to no avail. I brought it back to the shop today wishing to get an exchange but the salesperson told me it's like that for every unit out there and that MSI released a patch to the shops that they can apply which will fix or help with the situation, which apparently us consumers are not able to find on their website). I handed it to the technician and after the application of the apparent patch, it appears to be ever so slightly better but I'm still nowhere near happy about it. Otherwise it's a great laptop, plenty of performance, and a decent 4K panel to boot.

Anyone having the same issues and any recommendations?

6. Jamesaaaa

Jamesaaaa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I heard the 4k panel has very poor contrast ratio like 350:1. Can you confirm it ?

7. Pilot1nc0mmand

Pilot1nc0mmand Newbie

Reputations:
    TBH I'm not an expert when it comes to displays, all I can say is I can certainly see the downgrade in this department as I moved from a Dell XPS 15 with that gorgeous 4K screen, the only thing I prefer over the screen on the Dell is that it's got a matte coating I.e less glare. I read reviews about the contrast ratio of the screen too before I made the purchase and I was worried but as soon as I saw it in store and played around with it a bit I honestly thought it's fine for what I need it for. I play games and consume media on it mostly and I don't see that the 'poor' contrast ratio has affected me in those areas thus far. Your aight perception could be more sensitive than mine though so I would go see one in person if you can.

Jamesaaaa likes this.
  8. Jamesaaaa

Jamesaaaa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply man. Glad you are happy with this notebook!
    I really like the way it looks, the thin silouette, the rgb keyboard. I really want to buy this but not sure if the display will be good enough for me. I heard people saying that the fullhd panel has poor colors and pwm, yet the 4k display has poor contrast. No idea what to choose.

9. terada

terada Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Could anyone comment on whether this laptop has a screen that uses PWM?

I am sensitive to it and it would be a deal breaker.

The review noteboook check says it does use PWM, but the OP seems to go against this?

10. Pilot1nc0mmand

Pilot1nc0mmand Newbie

Reputations:
    To me it was a simple choice, I knew there're flaws with both the 1080p and the 4K displays (even though I was aware more of the 1080p ones than the 4K). For some reason here in Canada, the price difference between the 2 models was around CAD$150 and on top of that the 4K model gets a 512GB SSD + 1TB HDD instead of the 256GB SSD + 1TB HHD on the 1080p model, so to me that really was a no brainer. Really the only issue I have with the laptop so far is the speakers but I think I'll learn to live with it, hopefully it's a driver/software issue that they'll be able to fix completely in the future but other than that I'd say go for it man, whichever model suits your budget, you're gonna be happy with either I think.