MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Would this be suitable as a workstation (programming, running VMs etc) and occational gaming? The key to success would be plenty of cpu power and fast ssd during work running on optimus without a lot of fan noise. Dont mind if it sounds a lot during gaming though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  2. Pardo

Pardo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm still having wifi problems.

I have Killer wifi installed and in settings there is no option to automatically detect optimal speeds. I have messed around with upload/download speeds by typing in the numbers manually but it doesn't help. The wifi just disconnects or is weak constantly, compared to a macbook.

Any other ideas?

hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Did you download the latest Killer Suite or Drivers Only software from the Killer download site?
    http://www.killernetworking.com/product-support/driver-downloads/item/killer-suite

Just use your known upload/download numbers, or use the ones from your contract with the ISP - they usually tell you your bandwidth.

Did you check ethernet too?

If your ethernet is fine, but your Wifi isn't, then the debugging starts with your Wifi router firmware (updae it from the vendor site) and settings, and the settings handshake on your laptop.

To get full speed you need to be using WPA2 and TLS as the encryption settings (for faster than 54MB/s), and enable (or disable) WMM on router and laptop.

If your router has QOS settings, use those to prioritize traffic.

Check to see if you have another Wifi router on the same channel, they all default to 3 or 6, and as you can imagine, most people don't know this and never change it.

Look for a channel that is the center of the clearest spot, and change your router channel to that channel.

You can use Android software to see the wifi landscape, or use your PC with inSSIDer 3.x - it's free - the 4.x stuff costs $ to get - I have it but you can check it out using the 3.X version freely downloadable:
    http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Or you can use the builtin Killer Manager tool that does the same thing.

4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  5. aban714

aban714 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    what idle temps are you guys getting? I'm almost always between 30c - 40c . And when in my room (where I have my AC turned very high, I'm always in the low 30s.

hmscott likes this.
  6. toxotis70

toxotis70 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have much bigger Temps, around 50 Celsius, without AC in room.

while gaming around 80....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  7. aban714

aban714 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just ran Unigine Valley for like 45 mins maybe more. Settings are Ultra quality with 8x AA , 1080p. Was almost always above 60 fps.
    Temps was 68c Max for CPU, 72c Max for GPU. And regarding fan noise, it was never near full. Along with ambient noise an AC noise in the room, I couldn't hear the GPU fan at all, CPU fan was very slightly audible. But then again, its subjective I think. I don't think its loud at all for my use. And in normal use, its all silent. Really happy with the GS63VR. :)

hmscott likes this.
  8. Pardo

Reputations:
    Thanks.

I tried uninstalling my existing Killer Wifi drivers and downloading the latest drivers from MSI's site and it didn't solve the ping spikes/disconnects.

I tried installing the killer suite + the drivers from MSI's site, and it didn't help.

I tried 'auto' tuning the bandwidth, and it didn't help.

I am not going to mess around with my router's settings, as all other laptops and devices get great wifi in my house. I expect MSI's laptop to work just like they do (and they're far less expensive). I also don't have the luxury of tweaking router settings in all my locations.

Given what I've said, what do I do? Return the laptop? Any last things I can try?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  9. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    killer cards have always been hit or miss for me. I've used the same card in six laptops recently and two of them have been shoddy. I the case of the razer blade, I just replaced it with the Intel 8260 ac and all my problems disappeared.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Pardo

Reputations:
    I've tried everything short of modifying my router settings (which I know is not the problem -- other laptops work just fine in the house at fast speeds). This is such a disappointment. I've waited hours on this wifi problem.

hmscott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.