MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep I agree with this, it's just pointless filters except for maybe the blue filter which will be easy on the eyes. If you're looking for accuracy, time to get into colorimeters/sensors and do a real calibration.. Borrowing .icc profiles don't work because every panel is unique and weird from the factory and requires different calibration settings. I mean, 8/10 times someone else's .icc might "get you by" and still be better than factory though.

hmscott likes this.
  2. alawadhi3000

alawadhi3000 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The GS63VR have LG IPS panels? No?

I find LG IPS panels have very good accuracy out of the box, only thing you need to do is fix the white color temp to 6504K.

hmscott likes this.
  3. toxotis70

toxotis70 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    how do you do that?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4. Pardo

Pardo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got the GS63VR and it's a great laptop except for one thing -- the wifi.

With my Macbook, I get about a 40-50 ping on wifi and a steady connection. With the GS63VR, I get a 60-70 ping that spikes to 150.

I downloaded the wifi/lan drivers from MSI's site. Then I clicked update on the device manager to ensure they're up to date. The problem remains.

Is the wifi hardware on the MSI just worse than Macbook? Or do I have a problem? Any tips? Thanks

hmscott likes this.
  5. aban714

aban714 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Got myself a GS63VR, loving it so far! No issues thus far! Great!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

DukeCLR, Prototime and hmscott like this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Which Wifi adapter did it come with? The Killer Wifi has a tuning step, which most people forget to do, it's in the Killer Manager systray app and tests your internet connection and sets parameters based on the results - the defaults used before this step can be less than optimal.

Open the Killer Manager Settings and find this test, click "Update Speed", you can also type in the values if you have previously run the test and remember the numbers. Do this after every Killer software update.

Killer Manager #1.JPG

Killer Manager #3.JPG

There is also a place to set the preferred latency:

Killer network - wireless settings - click on Max Throughput button.JPG

Some people using the Killer Installer after initial install and remove the fancy features by unclicking them and re-running the install. You can also now download a "drivers only" update package from Killer instead of the whole Suite, but then you lose out on the local bandwidth tuning.

I found after doing that simple automatic "Update Speed" test everything ran fine - and you get the benefit of balancing local application network usage - you can watch a video stream while downloading a Steam Game + Torrent + ftp

With Windows 10 updates quite often I will see a new wave of Wifi complaints right afterwards, so when that happens to you check the vendor site for new updates, and even better is to go to the OEM Wifi card maker's site for updates.

It may take them a few days or weeks to recover from a Windows 10 update, just like everyone else. So have patience, and use Ethernet while waiting for a Wifi update. :cool:

DukeCLR likes this.
  7. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nice! Congrats on finally getting your GS63VR! :vbthumbsup: Can't wait to hear your impressions of it and see how it stacks up against the GS43VR! :vbsmile:

hmscott and aban714 like this.
  8. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You don't think it's loud?

hmscott likes this.
  9. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How's your fan noise?

hmscott likes this.
  10. toxotis70

toxotis70 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i have also the new GS63VR... very nice quality, good screen ((no bleeding, nice colors) and VERY FAST!
    Noise while surfing, office, etc is non existing (if you put it in ECO MODE and choose custom fan speeds) .

In gaming mode is very loud but i dont care cause i use headphones.

Keyboard is nice but i dont like the position of Windows and Delete key .
    I removed almost all bloatware and its going without problems.

The only problem i have is when i connect an external monitor and use only this as primary scrren, in every online video (youtube, vimeo etc) i cant go Full screen, its total black).
    I tried several thing and the only way to correct this, is by disabling the Intel vga from device manager.

Another thing i dont like, its that is very difficult to change RAM and ssd , only the mechanical disk is easy (and is only 5400 rpm!)

hmscott likes this.