MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeastOG

BeastOG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They're just m.2 drives.

hmscott likes this.
  2. nm1300

nm1300 Newbie

Reputations:
    the description on all models on amazon say that it is SATA, i dont know if they are not accurate and the m2 is NVMe? but again Dave Lee was getting around 300MB speeds.

3. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I posted the SSD 128gb m2 readouts already, in no way are those NVMe.. Just normal sata3.

I also expect the 256gb and 512gb SKUs to be also normal sata3 m2.

4. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I haven't heard of a single person getting an nvme drive yet. All I have seen were sata

5. slopokdave

slopokdave Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    SATA speeds. That's frustrating then if they are SATA. Really expecting NVME for this price level...

6. Pardo

Pardo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm getting my GS63VR tomorrow and hoping it will be a good product.

One question -- should I do a fresh install of Win 10? Or can I manually uninstall any bloatware (if, so which?). I'm leaning toward fresh install, but i'm not sure. If I do a fresh install, do I need to use my own Win 10 key, or keep the recovery partition or something?

Tx

7. nm1300

nm1300 Newbie

Reputations:
    Man i wanted this laptop but it is just to much to compromise, more noise, more heat, and less upgradability. guess im just going for GT62 or AsusGL502, probably Asus because 1700$ is my absolute max. That said, the thickness and weight of GS63VR are just amazing to those who value them the most.

8. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep, I wanted to love this laptop too that I tried two of them.. :/ I didn't like using the machine under gaming, felt a bit too warm for long sessions and of course, entirely vacuum cleaner like fans.

9. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    MSI does not load a lot of third party software; removing that will be quicker than a clean install of 10 (if you do a clean install of 10, activation should be automated once you are connected to the internet - but back up the recovery image onto a USB before you do anything.

As for the software: Keep whatever you want. You can disable things from startup but keep them installed, by the way; this will lower the impact on your boot time, and you'll still have the software if you need it.

10. slopokdave

slopokdave Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So MSI clearly advertises NVME drives on their product page, has a small blurb that NVME drives are optional; yet all of the current configs lack NVME? I don't get it....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.