MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Clean install always picks up the product key on these new machines

DukeCLR and Diversion like this.
  2. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So on modern laptops that come with Windows installed from the OEM, the BIOS has a secure boot and embedded Windows product key in place. In the case of the GS63VR, they come with Windows 10 Home Edition.. So even if you completely format and destroy the data and recovery partitions and fresh install Windows 10 Home (not Pro) the BIOS will automatically activate Windows once it reaches the internet. Although when I formatted fresh and installed, the Windows 10 installer still asked for a Product Key.. Just SKIP that part and it will Activate once you connect to Wifi/Ethernet later. Worked like a charm, in fact, all drivers installed from Windows updates (current versions even!).. The only extra thing i installed was the Dragon Center and Steelseries Engine software and it was just like 100% MSI OEM but without any extra bloat. Worked perfect, no more weird high CPU usage.. I was at 0-3% all the time idling, even with a lot of apps open. I always do this to EVERY laptop I own.. It nets much better battery life too.

Edit: Also make sure you do not turn off Secure Boot or any other settings in the BIOS (F12). You can actually delete and LOSE your product key and will never be able to activate Windows using the MSI product key they provided.. However if you wanted to change to Windows 10 Pro, you'd need your own Pro product key.

3. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep, a feature of modern UEFI bios and pretty much a requirement on any machines that shipped with pre-installed Windows 8 and newer.

4. slopokdave

slopokdave Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Pulling the trigger on the GS63VR this week, what memory modules should I get to move to 32gb? (I need 32gb for Adobe programs, I have 32GB on my current laptop and don't want to "downgrade"...)

5. PandahNZ

PandahNZ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all, I'm about to buy one of these and after reading through a lot of threads and reviews about this laptop and it seems one of the biggest letdowns is the screen that comes with the GS63VR (such as lack of colour/brightness/black contrast etc.). Does anyone know if this would be rectified by purchasing the 4k version? Still trying to decide between 1080p or 4k.. Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  6. alawadhi3000

alawadhi3000 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  7. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Does anyone here have the FHD model? If so, can you please launch HWinfo and tell me what screen part number yours is? I'm looking for both the Best Buy model and one that's sold elsewhere to see if there's a difference. Thanks

hmscott likes this.
  8. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had two of the Best Buy ones.. both were the LG model as used in the GT62VR and various other models.

hmscott likes this.
  9. nm1300

nm1300 Newbie

Reputations:
    Why do they advertise Gen.3 SSD ( meaning NVMe as i think) when all models come with SATA SSD, ? it bugs me how upgrading the m.2 requires full disassembly, i could get over that if only the stick was NVMe so i would not need to upgrade it.

hmscott likes this.
  10. slopokdave

slopokdave Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you, I was looking at those sticks....

I'd like to know this also.

Unless it's just the Best Buy version, I'm pretty sure they all come with NVME drives. God I hope so?

hmscott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.