MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aban714

aban714 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I dont think this specific model has been reviewed yet, atleast i havnt found a single review yet...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  2. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Took some measurements on the GS63VR:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1948.6 grams = 4.29592764 lbs

18.38 mm = 0.72362205 inches

As for the weight, I'm certain MSI is measuring a unit WITHOUT the m2 ssd and mechanical drive.. A mechanical 2.5mm drive is adds quite a bit of weight believe it or not. Still a very light machine, beating out the GS60 easy.

On the thickness side, well, I was trying my best to get a caliper reading that wasn't touching the back felt and got between 18.38mm and down to 18mm in some places. My calipers are accurate because they measure my Macbookpro at exactly .71" which is Apple's claim. I'm not sure why MSI says these are .69" thick but the specs are wrong. Close though! Still a very thin unit to have such immense power crammed in.

Now i'm off to return the GS63VR to Best Buy!

hmscott likes this.
  3. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah sounds exactly like the two GS63VRs I tried. the CPU side fan is whiny/high pitched and the GPU side is just a wooshing air sound, not much if any high pitched there.. But since I encode a lot of videos which peg the CPU at 100% for hours on end, I couldn't deal with the ringing sound!

4. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Did you reset the battery after flashing it? Usually you have to push a little button with a needle.

5. gbenedetto

gbenedetto Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    No I didn't... But now is back alive... Thankfully.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

6. James McLeod

James McLeod Newbie

Reputations:
    I purchased a gs63vr on the 3rd. It is the one with the 128 gb ssd, 1060 gpu, 16 gb memory etc.. Already having issues. I caught the cpu reaching a temperature of 82 degrees celsius during a 2 hour gaming session.. I knew the machine got hot but, that's a bit excessive. So once I caught the temperature I checked to see if there was any damage done. First, I simply brought up the task manager and right away I noticed there was the system interrupt. So, I monitored it for a while, since it wasn't there before. I caught the interrupt using cpu of up to 37% at points! My concern grew, since I had not altered any software I began to assume it was a hardware problem. My next step was to run the performance monitor. To my surprise, it showed that certain drivers were crashing, and it reported that pretty much all of my hardware (ie cpu, gpu, etc) was in "poor condition". I had never seen that message before while running perfmon /report. I then continued to check all the drivers, run a memory diagnostic, DISM, System file check, all of which reported issues, and yet it was still showing a system interrupt process.. Frustrated, I've completely reset my laptop, it's about to turn back on now. I'm going to re-monitor the performance of the PC and see if any of the benchmarks have changed compared to when I first purchased it (and obviously check for system interrupts). I'll let you all know what comes of all of this, I may be returning it to best buy regardless..even though it will kill me to wait another week for shipping..If it's even available.

Just as a disclaimer I am not extremely fluent with PC's so if everything I just wrote doesn't make any sense and I sound like an idiot let me know..also let me know if there's something else I should be doing to try and resolve this issue..

hmscott likes this.
  7. James McLeod

James McLeod Newbie

Reputations:
    Yep..still system interrupts after resetting the computer. Pretty sure it's a hardware issue..

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    82c isn't hot for a 2 hour gaming session, that's typical for a game of average demand on the CPU.

Often laptop CPU's will run much hotter, at around 93c the CPU will start Thermal Throttling to protect itself.

The maximum safe temperature for the CPU is 100c according to Intel documentation on the 6700HQ and 6820HK, not sure which one you have:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/88969,88967

TJUNCTION 100°C 100°C

TJUNCTION - Junction Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor die.

The CPU will shutdown when reaching that temperature.

I don't know where you are getting the idea that drivers are all crashing. What evidence do you have for that?

Are you getting unexpected system restarts, freezes, display driver crashes, or any other visible reports from applications of failures?

If you are gaming, running applications, and the temperature of the CPU and GPU are ok, as they are so far reported by you, then there is nothing wrong with your laptop, and there is no need to return it :)

spiralzz likes this.
  9. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Fresh clean format and Windows install fixed the system interrupt issue 100% for me. A lot of OEM Windows installs have this issue on various makes and models. Including my Surface Pro 3 a year ago.

83c is pretty normal though under long game sessions with a triple A game title.

How do you like the fan noise?

hmscott likes this.
  10. DukeCLR

DukeCLR Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm curious, did you buy another copy of windows or were you able to do a clean install with the OEM copy that came with the machine?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.