MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    SSD 128gb bench:
    [​IMG]

Nets the maximum SATA6 bus speed on reads.. lacking on the write side (all over the place).

2. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So I moved the GS63 into the living room where i'd use a laptop on the coffee table most.. And my air conditioner is pretty loud out here and the refrigerator has a faint ringing to it.. Surprisingly drowned out a lot of noise from the laptop during gaming.. it's still loud and i can hear it but it's probably not loud enough to be as bothersome.. In a dead silent room, it draws a lot of attention as in "Why does that thing sound like a dyson hand vac?".

hmscott likes this.
  3. cq842000

cq842000 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Perhaps get a measurement for comparison. On low fan settings I'm getting 18-20 dB, and with coolerboost at max I'm getting 34-36dB, so from light rustling leaves to quiet library. I am absolutely in love with the performance of the G63vr, it exceeds all my expectations. The only thing I dislike and have been very vocal about since the beginning is the low quality screen, I feel that the model platform got cheated with this panel. I've already modded the bottom panel for better airflow, and re-pasted everything with Gelid GC Extreme. It's a solid overclocker on the GPU side and if I can just mod the top intake panel vent above the fans, it's only going to get better. That said, this thing is powerful, thin, and pretty light for what is included.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There's no way full tilt (Coolerboost max) you're getting 34-36db.. maybe at a certain distance but these run like handvacs.. Very loud. I wouldn't be able to run any AAA game at a library without getting mean looks on this thing. When Coolerboost max fans are on, it's around 5000 rpms.. It's crazy loud.

In regards to the performance I agree, it's very powerful given it's size.. I'm just jaded by these fans so much it's going back.. Especially after trying TWO of these.. I just probably have a low tolerance to high frequency tiny fans compared to most people..

hmscott likes this.
  5. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Maybe the GS73 would be better? You would also gain a 120hz display. It's the winner winner of you're looking for thing and light IMO. The GS63 doesn't even have Gsync so offers very little other than slightly more portable. The GT62 runs cool and quiet but is obviously way bulkier but can be setup with a 1070 and Gsync so it has value for the size. Ge62vr and gs63 are the worst buys this round unless you have to have that form factor.

hmscott and Diversion like this.
  6. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have both and they are both about the same. The fans are identical.

hmscott and Diversion like this.
  7. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You pretty much nailed my feelings.. the GS63 is ALMOST there but it's not enough right now. The form factor creates the fan noise for me obviously and it's missing G-sync.. After having G-Sync on my Asus for about a year i've realized I absolutely cannot live without it. The GS73 is out for me because from what I've read and hear, that it sounds pretty much identically to the GS63. Possibly even the fans are identical from the 63 to 73.

The GE62vr is out because of no G-Sync and no 1070. I'm seriously about to pull the trigger on a GT62VR with 1070 because for barely more cost, it's got everything I want: G-Sync, Quiet fans, and a 1070, potentially better battery life too according to reviews. All at a cost of heavier/thicker.

I saw your videos and it seems like it gets incredible temps as well. Are you really really happy with your GT62VR? Anything you don't like about it?

OH OH, do you know if it has the ESS HiFi Sabre DAC on the headphone jack like the GS series? MSI's own website shows that it does, but nobody knows for sure.. There's no HiFi print on the headphone jack like the GS series.

Also, the only bothering thing about the GT62VR is they put all the USB3 on the right side (where my mouse hand is) and I have a couple of things i need to leave plugged into the laptop and that's going to be a problem with the GT62VR. Otherwise it's pretty much perfect. From the reviews it sounds like it has the fan sound of a large beefy 17" (like my G751) which sounds perfect. I would easily give up 2 lbs for a more comfortable laptop.

Lastly, the only other laptop I have eyes on is the upcoming Alienwares.. but they will be in excess of 2000usd for the config I want.

hmscott likes this.
  8. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Exactly what I suspected. Thanks!

hmscott likes this.
  9. cq842000

cq842000 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Seriously, I've been saying since the beginning that mine must not get as loud as yours. I measured the sound level using both an S7 Edge and a Note 4 from different angles just to make sure, I also did a third run with a different application to rule out algorithm . I usually leave mine on max because I hardly notice it. Once again I'll say it, this is one of the better gaming books I've had going all the way back to the OCZ Extreme 840 (whitebook), with 2x 3870s in crossfire and a QX9300 (now that thing was loud).

10. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well I don't know what to say, without being local and demonstrating our laptops to each other we'll never truly know :p

Unless i've gotten two in a row that have bad bearings or something.. These sound fairly identical to each other from listening to my microphone recordings.. Both have a high pitched CPU ringing after 2000 rpms that is just nearly piercing to my ears. If it didn't have the ring, I'd seriously be in agreeance with you and just learn to adjust..

Very well though, you may be one of the lucky ones with a quieter CPU fan and I hope that's the case. I unfortunately cannot try a 3rd unit :/

I wonder how the Clevo P650RS sounds compared to the GS63VR.

cq842000 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.