MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    dGPU only on both the GL502VM 1060 the GL502VS 1070, no Optimus.

It would have been nice if Asus included a MUX switch for iGPU on battery to extend run time, but dGPU only is far better than Optimus.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  2. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Got my replacement GS63VR in.. Same issue, I'm to expect all of these units have a high pitched CPU fan (right side looking at the unit) at this point.. The GPU fan is more of a roaring/wooshing sound and the CPU has a ringing high pitched tone to it the moment it gets past 2000rpms. Just the way these are after having two. It's pretty annoying and maybe since I have sensitive hearing, all I hear is this ringing tone in my ears when i'm doing anything like gaming or high CPU usage. Outside of that, I mean the laptop is great.. It keeps the thermals within normal range (seemed to stabilize the GPU temps around 78c in Unigen Heaven).

Of course everything works fine at a cost of complete high pitched nonsense noise.

I performed a fresh Win10 Anniversary install and ALL drivers automatically installed.. I chose not to install any MSI related software as none of it beneficial in my eyes. Just pure unadulterated Windows10 with clean drivers from the source. To my surprise, I used the laptop for an hour off the charger downloading and installing software.. Fans behaved well, rarely making any sound you can hear. Battery life started out at 8hours on the built in Windows meter and after an hour, it still said 5 hours left with brightness at 30% (which is still pretty bright imo)! I had literally about 75% battery left after an hour of real usage.. Was youtubing, surfing the web, sending emails, you know, normal computer stuff. The bloatware Win10 installed obviously is killing CPU and doing all sorts of nasty things to these machines.

Also, my GS63VR box said the battery is 65 watts.. MSI says these are 57 watts on their official spec page. Shrug. Battery life to me, seems way better than people have been getting.. I think this would easily get 4+ hours of normal business use.

It never got uncomfortably hot on my lap when I was using it on battery.. I'm just using the normal balanced power plan which lets the CPU idle down to it's lowest when it isn't doing any heavy lifting. I'll be performing some Batterybar logging to see what my average battery life is using it for normal mundane tasks and report back.

If there's any questions, shoot them over.. But for me, I already know my end result will be looking at another laptop, probably the GT62VR with 1070.

Update 1:
    Prime95 + Furmark going for 30 minutes = 96c CPU and 84c GPU, surprisingly the GPU doesn't throttle.. So it seems the PSU provided can handle the CPU and GPU pulling pretty high clocks.. Because of the CPU temperature, i'm hitting the thermal throttling and CPU is holding base 2.6ghz clocks. Fan noise is ridiculous right now.

Update 2:
    Benchmarking for a while with Heaven.. stock clocks.. Fan is stupid loud:

Update 3:
    League of Legends, which is a very light game and scalable.. Makes the laptop scream as well.

I find this laptop to not be recommendable by anyone who's not okay with vacuum cleaner-like noise levels. The fans cannot be tuned to be quieter without hitting 90+C on cpu and gpu.

I am done with the GS63VR and I wish you all good luck, it's a good looking laptop and has amazing weight and size but it's pretty much garbage on the heat/noise levels in my books.

It also spits out so much heat it makes the keyboard area uncomfortably hot and forget about putting your hands anywhere near the back sides of the laptop, it will fry you alive.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  3. Butr0sButr0s

Butr0sButr0s Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you consider the Asus GL502vs? A few reviewers commented (qualitatively) that it is quieter than the GS63VR while having a 1070 to boot. Lisa from mobile tech review put up her thoughts yesterday (video already linked above).

hmscott likes this.
  4. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I did consider the G502VS 1070, but although people say its quieter than the MSI GS series (not GT62VR) that it's still pretty loud, but I bet it doesn't have any high pitched tone to it whatsoever. I just hate the orange accents all over the new Asus.. It's very gaudy.. I miss the old black/red Asus models :/

hmscott likes this.
  5. gbenedetto

gbenedetto Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Quick question, has someone opened the back panel?. I bought a SSD and I want to replace the slow HDD and it should be easy (not the m.2 ssd)
    I tried to open the back but is kind of difficult so I stopped since i dont want to mess it up.
    I tried to find a disassembly video or something but so far none.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It should just be screws and maybe a couple clips where it interfaces with the plastic at the hinge area.

7. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This laptop is far too thin to be taken seriously and for the money spent on one. My final thoughts and update are above post #132. I absolutely under no circumstance would ever recommend this to anyone. It runs too hot and is far far far too loud. On to other laptops, good luck guys.

And if you're just seeing this, I've had two GS63VRs.. Both identically bad.

8. Sniper514

Sniper514 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Few more things you can try to help with the stuttering video/slowdown:
    1) Make sure Power options in Windows settings is set to High Performance.
    2) ECO mode is set to Gaming or completely off.
    3) High performance is enabled in Dragon Gaming Center.
    4) Shift mode is set to Sport, again in the Dragon Gaming Center.

I have a GS60-064 laptop with 970M and when I set it to green mode in shift, it throttles the CPU to save battery and results in generalized stuttering/slowing especially during video playback or when scrolling in Chrome. When I set back to Sport mode, laptop performs to full capacity without any slowdown.

hmscott likes this.
  9. BeastOG

BeastOG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unfortunately that was already tried. I wasn't really able to find what it was, but either way even though I got the cpu to normal levels I couldn't get the audio video issue fixed. Msi had no idea either. In any case the laptop is being put back to factory settings and returned today as soon my my asus comes in

hmscott likes this.
  10. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Fresh install Windows10.. The thing runs perfect afterwards, trust me. Besides the obvious fan issues (Which isn't an issue per se, they work as intended). My CPU idles at 0-1% all the time.. No sound problems.

hmscott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.