MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Oddly sometimes local playback is a problem while streamed works fine :)

So you are having the same problem whether it's streamed or local? The same app, or different ones, what are they and what are the services / media you are trying to play.

You haven't said exactly what you are using for playback, what formats you are using, and if you have tried multiple playback apps on the same media.

Is it WMV, MP3/4, what's the compression used?

Are you playing from the SSD or HDD?

There could be multiple source/playback issues, focus on one at a time, you can't be using the same tool to playback local and internet sources, lets try fixing one and get it working, and then move on to the next.

2. BeastOG

BeastOG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry for the lack of info. On the internet I've been using firefox, but I've tried it with all three browsers and they all run into the same issue (although using chrome does seem to delay it just a bit). I've used mp4 files for the download, and used windows media player, groove music, and the movies and tv app

Edit: Almost forgot, I've also used itunes, and spotify with the same issues occurring

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    So, then, what's the symptom? Before you tell me, I have a feeling it's still something starting up in the background and taking resources.

Once thing to try to help alienate the symtoms until you find the source to turn it off, is to disable hardware acceleration - or enable it if disabled.

The problem with Optimus is that I believe all the decoders go through the iGPU... would need to test it to be sure, but that will bog down the CPU and iGPU.

Have you tried to force each browser (not IE or Edge) to use the dGPU? Google how, if simply setting the Nvidia 3D settings for Programs doesn't help.

I would focus on Firefox or Chrome and get that tuned there first, try hardware accelerated enabled and disabled, force use of dGPU.

Try some googling, like this for clues / debugging help:
    https://www.google.com/search?num=5.....1c.1.64.serp..1.1.129...30i10k1.PtK_wn7Yo_g

4. BeastOG

Reputations:
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised if something is just randomly popping up that's just slipping by.

How would I find out if a program is using the dGPU? I already have it set to use it in the 3d settings.

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    You can use TechPowerUp GPU-Z to select the GPU to watch, and then use the Sensors Tab to view realtime load and usage, then switch to the other GPU to see usage there.

I don't use Windows 10 or Optimus, so you are going to need to do the heavy lifting from here on out, to figure out how Optimus is directing where to render video, and how to affect it's decisions.

It very well might be that putting the decision back on Optimus - instead of forcing rendering on one or the other as a user choice, might work better.

Start reading recent Optimus + video playback + Windows 10 search results, set your google "search tools" time from Anytime to the Past Year, or even Past Month, to see new bugs / solutions to video playback - naming each tool in the search, like VLC, HPC-MPC, etc.

Open search:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Optimus+++video+playback+++Windows+10&rlz=1C1CHNY_enUS692US692&oq=Optimus+++video+playback+++Windows+10&aqs=chrome..69i57.1912j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Focused on Past Month:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Optimus+++video+playback+++Windows+10&num=50&safe=off&rlz=1C1CHNY_enUS692US692&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:m&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjYwbqcvIHPAhVW0GMKHRntBJ0QpwUIFg&biw=962&bih=556

You may also want to do the same naming "firefox" and "pc chrome browser", to find hidden settings tweaks for the browsers to affect playback.

Keep the Windows Task Manager + Performance Window open gathering info on IO Read / Write and CPU - notice they will keep peak readings even after another process tops the list, scroll down for older readings - expand the file name area to get more info on what has been running and how much IO / CPU it's using.
    I'm guessing there will be a couple of background things to disable, and Optimus twiddling to get good playback.

Did you install and use O&O Shutup and Anti-Spy?

There is are also Windows 10 threads here on installation and optimization, look into what is already provided for helpful assistance here on NBR:

Windows 10 Tweaks and Fixes (Index post #1)
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10-tweaks-and-fixes-index-post-1.779394/

NBR Windows 10 Clean Installation Guide
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/nbr-windows-10-clean-installation-guide.781178/

Please come back and let us know what you find that works for you.

aban714 likes this.
  6. BeastOG

Reputations:
    I'll see what I can find out and if i can come up with anything, but I'm gonna go ahead and let you know I already threw the baby in the bath water before we even started this discussion. My replacement is coming in tomorrow and I'm gonna have to box this up and send it back after that, so it's been more for my knowledge than anything. But if there is a fix that I'm able to find I'll let you guys know.

7. hmscott

Reputations:
    What make / model is the replacement?

That's ok, save my posts for future reference, bugs / problems have a way of coming back around :)

aban714 likes this.
  8. BeastOG

Reputations:
    Well at first I was going to get an AW13 with the oled screen for portability, but then I kicked myself and realized if I went through with that, I'd probably end up regretting not getting pascal. I ended up getting a Asus GL502VM. I went with the base config since it already had 16gb of ram, and I plan on just buying an ssd and switching it out with the hdd down the road.

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    The Asus is a nice 15.6", and the GL502VM is dGPU only, so no Optimus yuckiness. :cool:

The Asus GL502VS - 1070 - dGPU only
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-Strix-GL502VS-Notebook-Review.171567.0.html

See you in another thread :)

I do wish Asus would release the GL702VS...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  10. BeastOG

Reputations:
    I thought since it had a Gsync Display optimus was disabled? Also they released the VS on amazon. Although they only have 1 left in stock.

hmscott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.