MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Aug 29, 2016.

1. pitha1337

pitha1337 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi, I recently repasted my GS63 with liquid metal. My temps before were good for stock paste so I thought I could dropt the temps even more with liquid metal. Unfortunately the results are nearly the same as with stock paste. In Diablo 3 CPU und GPU are at 68-70°C and in PUBG it is hovering aroung 80°C. I'm using the "Auto Fan" configuration in dragon center. My idle Temps are around 45-50°C.

2. ir1

ir1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I got it yesterday and I just installed it right now. I will post pictures of the process in a bit, but so far I am very pleased with this upgrade. I applied a profile for this panel and the colors look better and of course the 120hz is just fantastic. The process wasnt too bad at all. Plenty of videos on how to do it on Youtube etc. Just gotta take your time and be patient with the double sided tape etc.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  3. ir1

ir1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Auto fan is your problem right there. It is going to base the fan speed and usage on temperatures. Have you noticed the fan being quieter or being used less?

4. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Well done! :)

5. ir1

ir1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Here are some pics of my swap over to the B156HAN04.2.
    Removing bezel... bezel remove.jpg bezel off.jpg

New display installed - new screen on and working.jpg

One issue that I realized just a few minutes ago is that I can no longer adjust the screen brightness. It is stuck at 100%. Not sure if anyone else has run into this and knows a fix. I am going to try a few things and see if I can get it working.

6. eurodj101

eurodj101 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Keep us posted as im planning on doing the exact same thing!!!

7. ir1

ir1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Will do. Though I am wondering if @barredout is having the same issue after his swap.

8. car_bore

car_bore Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok now I'm even more confused. I was about to buy the N156HHE-GA1 but then some used the AUO B156HAN04.2. Does anyone know which is the best? And how are they in terms of clarity compared to an IPS Glossy 60Hz screen?

@ir1 have you fixed the problem? Could it be an MSI Driver issue?

9. ir1

ir1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have not fixed it yet. I have been researching the issue and it is not that uncommon. It occurs with other laptops from other manufacturers. It appears that the BIOS has a whitelist for certain panels. A different panel should work, but you will lose screen brightness controls because the EDID of the screen is not on the whitelist. So your options is so flash a new EDID on the display, which can be done but isnt always easy. Most panels lock that out. Your other options would be to find a way to either remove the whitelist restriction or add the display to the BIOS whitelist. Right now I am exploring the BIOS modification track. I will update as soon as possible. If you want to go 120hz you might want to go for the same panel that MSI is using in the 120hz model of the GS63VR, the 7RG, details here: https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-G...070-Max-Q-Full-HD-Laptop-Review.267802.0.html. But the 120hz panel in the 7RG is the Chi Mei N156HHE-GA1 that you were looking to swap to. So if you do that you might be ok.

Clarity on the AUO screen is ok, not as good as a glossy but acceptable.

10. eurodj101

eurodj101 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I just saw a video of the new gs65...I believe they finally addressed most if not all the shortcomings of the gs series...better battery, smaller footprint...and we finally get back what appears to be a decent set of speakers as the gs60 had,also the new cpus plus the max q Gpus might lead to better thermals and better performance, the question is will the jump be worth it....anyone have any news on when it will be available? Depending on pricing I might skip the 120hz upgrade unless I can get a panel I won’t have brightness adjustment issues with....

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    hmscott likes this.