MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Aug 29, 2016.

1. eurodj101

eurodj101 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Totally agree that its BBs fault and our own for not doing our homework....i didnt have the chance as i couldnt wait to get the laptop while i was back in the US, but as soon a si could i replaced the Panel...now im thinking bout replacing it to the 120hz screen in a previous post here....so that might be my next project.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  2. eurodj101

eurodj101 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Also for those with the time and posibilities...A custom build is definitely the way to go...unless you are saving a considerable amount of money, fafter speneding the 230-250 of an nvme drive and the cost of the panel plus the risk of doing the change yourself..its well worth it to ge tt from a custom builder.

Phoenix and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  3. Mel Norris

Mel Norris Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry, I blame MSI. Of course, distributors and retailers ask manufacturers to do all kinds of wacky things that will increase their profit margin. The manufacturer can and should say no if it's anything that could hurt their reputation in the marketplace. This horrid panel does exactly that. Most people are not going to switch out the panel like I did. They are going to carry it back and tell everyone they know that MSI's suck because they use crap screens. It may not be universally true, but perception is reality and that's what is going to happen. It's bad for MSI any way you look at it.

I researched my laptop for a couple of weeks and I knew the -001 from Best Buy had a crap screen. I guess my search-foo was bad because I missed everything about the -252 having a worse TN panel. I know this for sure, MSI's website sure doesn't say it has a TN panel. They do, however, go out of their way to confuse everything using terms like "IPS-Level" and "Vivid Color" so you can't possibly know what they are selling.

Either way, I'm happy because of the discount I got, but I'll definitely think twice about buying MSI again. I've bought a lot of computer tech over the last 30 years and this is the first time a product review bears no resemblance to the product as purchased.

4. Ehsan_eee

Ehsan_eee Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone re-pasted the CPU and GPU on this device? are the results satisfactory and worth the effort?
    Any suggestion on going with liquid metal or traditional thermal paste? I read some of the threads on this issue but there are many different opinions.
    I am kinda frustrated with CPU fan noise (heating 55 C at idle) and I was wondering maybe repasting could help to reduce the temps and accordingly the fan workload.

5. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    IMO the LG is far superior to those Samsung offerings. I've used both, and the LG panels are great IPS panels with good brightness, color, contrast a and decent response times. The Samsung 30ms response time is actually terrible for a gaming laptop, and leads to pixels blurring in any fast paced game. For some they wouldn't notice this, but for the trained eyes of anyone that has used high refresh rate and low response times its very jarring to look at. The LG with its 25ms response time was about as high as I am able to use without it ruining the experience for me too much. Still the AUO TN 120hz 5ms screen is just worlds better in every way. Sure it doesn't have the IPS color accuracy, but the colors are very very good for a TN. The viewing angles are very good and the fluid gameplay with zero blur is everything for a gaming laptop.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  6. barredout

barredout Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, just a quick update.
    A few people have asked me now how my screen replacement went. I got my screen last night aaaand.

It isamazing. My fps rates in games have doubled, and the refresh rate itself is making everything buttery smooth.
    I've only played a game of Fortnite at 120 fps and one of cs at 260+, but i'm already impressed.

Screen number: AUO B156HAN04.2
    Price: ~$120

If you have this labtop, then you're playing games, and if you're playing games, then you'll definitely appreciate the boost in playability that having this screen offers you. I would highly recommend to not bother with other screens and just get this one. Any less would not do this labtop justice. I'm trippin out just writing this because I'm trying to convey how absolutely night and day the screen looks compared to before. Based just on how I did a double take when I first saw it, I would consider having this screen a requirement, not a recommendation. For just over $100 you can unlock this beast.

Honestly though, hop on this ASAP it ain't a joke.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2018
    kylezo likes this.
  7. ir1

ir1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Any recommendation on sourcing that panel? How good is the color accuracy? Are there other options for a 120hz panel?

8. Elfenlied102

Elfenlied102 Newbie

Reputations:
    I am interested in this screen, Barredout, is the finish matte or glossy? I wasn't able to get a definitive answer while searching its specs.

9. ir1

ir1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I went ahead and ordered a brand new AUO B156HAN04.2 on ebay for $110 shipped. Coming from China so we shall see how long it takes to get here. I will try and get some information up on my experience with this. But based on barredout's experience I am optimistic this will be a worthwhile upgrade.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  10. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It should get to you in 2~3 weeks.