MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Aug 29, 2016.

1. sona

sona Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You may be right, @Phoenix, but it couldn't hurt to test it out, could it? That is, if such a skin can be bought, and if it isn't something that might damage the unit if I decide to remove it.

If a skin like the one in the picture (which might not look the same "in person") is for sale for this particular MSI model, then at least I could try it to see what I think. If I don't like it, if it looks cheap or cheesy, then I'll remove it--and post my reaction(s) in this forum! :)

hmscott and Phoenix like this.
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Sounds like a good idea.

This was *my* reaction when I saw it but I know this could be subjective.

Phoenix = [​IMG]

hmscott likes this.
  3. ir1

ir1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    LOL... wow. Well I can say I think it looks better in person than the quick photo I took under the very bright fluorescent lights. I didnt pick the skin, I would have probably picked something less shiny, more matte. But in regards to the logo, you see MSI, which is fine, and you see the shield shape, no design comes through in terms of the dragon and no light comes through at all.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I've never been offended by the MSI / Asus "gamer" logo's and neither has anyone I've ever worked with, not even the non-technical people and the managers.

Sometimes when people buy gaming laptops and bring them to the office for the first time, they want to hide them - you could tell they were being shy about being recognized for it, sliding it in and out of their bag when showing it and quickly putting it back out of view.

But with a little encouragement the managers would go out of their way to voice their approval to put them at ease, so they could leave it out to use and they could stop being distracted being self-conscious, so they could refocus and get back to work.

Most technical people can be generally shy and sensitive in their public self, not wanting to be recognized for things and attracting notice.

It's all really internal, no one else is going to judge you - even the non-technical people these days are on-board with gadgets.

The only laptop brand that stood out as being "annoying" were the LGA laptops with their loud fan noise and pumped up light-house logo's that put out eye piercing beams of light. A piece of black plastic tape was all they needed - and a cubicle far away from everyone else to avoid the noise pollution, and they were just fine.

As far as one on one with other professionals, paying your rates, they aren't looking for a conformist worried more about offending than getting the job done.

Employers and managers are looking for a stand-out talent that gets their tasks done quickly, accurately, and successfully. I've actually heard hiring meetings where being non-odd is pointed out as being a potential factor for "not fitting it", and everyone laughing saying that they'd help them "fit in".

If you can do good work, don't worry about your uniqueness, enjoy it and share it with others, you've worked hard for it! :)

sona likes this.
  5. sona

sona Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    A sensible post--and true. :vbsmile:

The irony for me is that no one ever sees my laptop: I work in isolation, either in my home office or sometimes even in my car (if I get a sudden call to c/e something)--or at the library or Starbucks.

The only one I need to satisfy is myself. And like @ir1, I'm drawn to a Quaker-like simplicity in the things I own and/or wear, a lack of adornment. That's just me, though. And since efficiency is the relevant issue, emblems and stickers are sideshows. Do I wish they weren't there? Yes. Are they going to change my mind about MSI? Not at all.

Since the MSI I bought is (IMO) a superior laptop that will work very well for me--especially thanks to @Phoenix (and to @Donald's superior judgment)--I will either find a workaround or live with what I have. It's a minor issue, in the end. :vbthumbsup:

Phoenix and hmscott like this.
  6. ir1

ir1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks I get the message, very positive, good stuff. You should feel like you can express yourself, and that is what I am trying to do. I am not worried about people identifying me as a gamer at work. I am pretty open about it. But like sona, I like simpler desigsn and I am not a particularly flashy person. I dont like the G4M3R aesthetic at all, it isnt about what other people think. I personally just dont like the angles, sharpness, or bright colors. The GS63VR is pretty toned down, but I definitely would want all red accents and logos gone like the HID version on any laptop.

I would rather have no logo, even if it was even more understated. I even change the RGB lighting on the keyboard to flat white. I really wish more companies made quality gaming gear that was more my aesthetic. I am sure you have seen some of the ridiculous looking accessories, mice, keyboards, chairs, along with some laptop or case designs that are quite over the top. I dont want them to go away, if people like it then more power to them. I just want more industrial design, clean looking gear that is great for gaming.

hmscott likes this.
  7. tom03

tom03 Newbie

Reputations:
    i am considering this laptop to purchase. problem with these laptops are the elan trackapd and the w10 gestures. 3 and 4 finger. has anyone got this working?

8. ir1

ir1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    There is a working driver... https://www.reddit.com/r/MSILaptops/comments/5ki7ed/gs63vr_there_is_a_working_driver_for_using_the/

I tried it, but couldnt get it to stick, Windows would replace it with the ELAN driver after every reboot. Im sure there is a way, maybe that link has some updates I have missed about getting it to stick.

9. Molvol

Molvol Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    3 fingers are recognized and working with MSI's ELAN drivers on Win7 but I hate the clickpad.
    It would be great if someone found a good trackpad to replace it with. It's 105mm by 70mm. Now unfortuntely trackpads can't be bought anywhere by size, but I'll keep my eyes open for any other laptop with a same size trackpad. They are pretty much all PS/2, so should be interchangeable.

10. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Synaptic may work and size should be a common dimension, however it takes efforts to find one and to replace it as it's usually glued onto the touch surface.