MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slind

slind Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, thanks for the input, but I'd rather not show up with that sticker on it for a client meeting :D

So, is the Dragon Embleme just a sticker? Does anyone know?

hmscott likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If it's lit when on, it's a bit more than a sticker... I don't recall anyone mentioning it being removable.

A sticker is the best option, or a slip case that lets you run it while in the case.

Click the images I posted, and they'll jump to the google searches I used to find them, maybe another sticker will strike you better.

I doubt you really need to worry about it, I wouldn't even mention it, there are plenty of fine upstanding people with MSI laptops and noone thinks any less of them. Besides if someone is petty enough to cast aspersions on you for having one, they're likely not someone you want to do business with.

Besides, when I use my gaming laptop or I wear gaming logo T-shirts out in public, I have the opposite reaction, and I meet some of the nicest people that way. :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Donald@zTecpc likes this.
  3. slind

slind Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I absolutely agree, but for some business partners, e.g. architects and lawyers, they expect a certain kind of attitude and appearance. Thats fine with me, although I wish it needn't be this way.
    The dragon embleme seems not to be glowing when the display is turned on. That makes it more likely being a sticker, but I'm still not convinced ;)

hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well, I still think you are worrying for nothing, but maybe this will be informative in case you want to change the MSI Shield out for something more acceptable:

GS60 screen and glowing dragon replacement + BLB repair
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...n-replacement-blb-repair.764708/#post-9824829
    DSC_0074.JPG
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...glowing-dragon-replacement-blb-repair.764708/
    DSC_0467.jpg

Donald@zTecpc likes this.
  5. ir1

ir1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It is definitely more than a sticker, the previous posts show if you remove it you reveal a shield shaped hole where the LCD shines through, I looked into it myself before I bought a GS63VR. I think you can get a less gaudy badge, but again it may not be easy to swap.

I ended up buying my GS63VR used from a guy that had similar reservations since he was using it in professional settings, and he put a skin on the laptop cover and rear hinge. Here is a picture of mine. 0208180837.jpg I was quite interested in the HID version of the GS63VR because they have a super clean and emblem free version... but I couldnt pass up the price on this used one.

hmscott likes this.
  6. timgarbim

timgarbim Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello Everyone
    I'm am willing to get one with the 1070 max-q version, so the overall rating is that it doesn't have heating issues and a good battery(more than 4 hours) ?
    Any bigger problem that anyone faced? I read many pages but maybe i missed something.

thanks!

7. sona

sona Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi, @ir1~

I'm very interested in the skin you show in the photo, covering the unit. I ordered my GS63 Stealth with an "unlit" logo on the cover, hoping that would make it less vivid; it looked subdued in the photo I examined before I ordered it. When the laptop actually arrived, however, it was brighter than it had seemed in the photo--not backlit, but definitely there, red and feisty.

Now, no one is going to judge me on the basis of that logo; that doesn't bother me. I just prefer plain and simple. :D

Do you happen to know where the previous owner got the skin? And have you found that it does not impair the unit's performance in any way (get it too hot, make it hard to open/close, etc.)?

I can certainly live with the logo, since that wasn't the reason I bought the GS63. But if there's a simple way of toning it down--like applying that skin--I'd love to know about it.

Thanks!

--Sona

8. ir1

ir1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No issues at all with heat or hinge etc. You can still see MSI and the logo shape, but the skin doesnt cover any airflow. It covers the top, the back hinge (including the Stealth verbage and red accents on the back). The skin was also over the front third of the inside in front of the keyboard, so it covered the tackpad and steelseries logo, but I removed that, didnt like how that looked.

I am not sure where the prev owner got the skin. I know that you can still get skins for it, but some actually have a cutout for the MSI logo, so obviously avoid that. I will do some looking around to see if I can find the one that matches what I have and post it.

I will throw my two cents in and that I personally am with you. I just like low-key straight forward looking devices. Neon or catchy accents, sharp edges, big logos, no thanks.....

9. sona

sona Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for offering to check on this, @ir1! I'll Google around, too, but I doubt I'll succeed. I believe most people who buy the MSI gaming laptops want the logo (I don't think there would have been nine color options for the backlit look if it weren't a popular add-on!), and I can totally understand that. But that might make skins for the MSI hard to find.

I'm not a gamer--but I love what I've bought (I'm still getting to know it, of course). It's a wonderful laptop for what I do, affordable and both sturdy and lightweight; I haven't stressed it yet, but so far it's quiet as well. I couldn't ask for more...unless it would be tweaking the aesthetics slightly by toning down the outer dragon emblem and re-siting the large sticker from the right of the touchpad (identifying what's inside) to the underside of the unit. Beyond that, I'm very pleased with the design and feel of my GS63.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  10. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Just my 2 cents here, but I feel that skin looks kinda cheap on this beautiful laptop and the logo still is visible that it's covered making it even uglier than when it is lit. Also that fake looking shine from the skin looks very cheap. It never bothered me personally I'm always looking at the screen and I rarely even close the lid so I don't know that it's there. Just my 2 cents but do what you feel looks better to you.

hmscott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.