MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ah yes, it is much better sounding. Yeah, none of the reviews mention it in the GT line. They didn't put a HiFi stamp on it either, so probably not.

2. BeastOG

BeastOG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Small update. I managed to fix the cpu issue thanks to some good advice on the forums, bringing it down to a more normal 20% usage. Unfortunately the audio/video issue is still occuring.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What did it end up being?

hmscott likes this.
  4. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When I get my replacement I expect a 1-2% usage when idle (like a normal machine be). But then again i'll be wiping the drive (complete format) and installing fresh Win10 Anniversary. Let you guys know tomorrow and another full review.

aban714 and hmscott like this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    What's the audio / video issue? Local playback or over the internet?

Which browser? Which video service?

Are you using wireless or wired internet?

Have you updated Adobe Flash plugin in Firefox, and are you completely updated from MS on Windows, and Chrome.

Download the latest drivers for Wifi and Ethernet hardware directly from the OEM that makes it, Intel, Realtek, Killer Networking. Don't forget to reboot after uninstalls and installs, each time.

What did you stop / tune to get the CPU usage down?

6. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I never trust OEM bloatware installs.. I wonder if i'll be the first to fresh install and get drivers from the source on the GS63.. I bet it will run like a dream, minus the fans still being noisy.. I'll play with fan profiles/curves to see what I can come up with.

aban714 likes this.
  7. BeastOG

Reputations:
    It was some of the windows startup services that were messing up the cpu. I just shut off all the extra crap like Cortana, and the cpu went down.

Wireless internet.

The video issue is both with browser and local playback.

All software are updated, and I had already installed the oem drivers.

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    Does the problem go away when you are connected to ethernet, with Wifi disabled on your laptop?

9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Are you using WEP, or WPA2/AES with WMM enabled on your router / laptop?

"Use WPA2/AES and enable WMM - most 802.11n Wi-Fi certified devices will slow down to 54 Mbps if you use WEP or WPA/TKIP security, since the 802.11n specs state that the higher throughput rates can't be enabled if either of those outdated security methods are being used. Similarly, the 802.11n spec requires devices to support 802.11e (QoSenhancements for wireless LAN) in order to use high throughput link rates, i.e. higher than 54 Mbps. WMM is a subset of 802.11e that is required for products to be certified for802.11n."
    http://www.speedguide.net/faq/how-to-fix-slow-wireless-network-speed-375

Also, go to the router vendor site and find the latest firmware, and check their forums or the www.dslreports.com forums for problems or fixes, when you are happy it's gonna not hurt, update the firmware on the router.

Router firmware updates have been 90% of the fixes for me, after the other 99% are fixed with OEM wifi updates on the laptop.

10. BeastOG

Reputations:
    Just checked. WMM is already enabled and my firmware is up to date. Also, what would be the fix for the local playback? If I have a downloaded video and it's doing that I doubt it's the router in the first place

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.