MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pardo

Pardo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Also, 50db is too loud. I wonder if the GL502VM is <45.

2. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah honestly the MSI Dragon software really screws up the fan profiles (or can help if you want to manually create your own).. I'd really like to see Svet or Prema make a custom EC bios for us (if possible) to fix the fan curve issues. I managed to just order one from Best Buy 2 days ago.. I've been checking every day and night for stock and they came in on BB eventually but now sold out yet again.

The Amazon ones say "Pre-order/not released" but I'm hearing reports of people pre-ordering them and getting them shipped.. Amazon is getting a handful of units at a time and just filling the preorders in before they go live on the site.

3. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    50db was recorded I believe with Prime95 and Furmark going at the same time to generate a theoretical maximum fan noise. It's a pretty noisy laptop, I don't think anybody's going to lie about that here.

I'm probably going to return my 2nd GS63VR and order a GT62VR with 1070 which runs in the low 40db range under load (which is perfect). Although you have to be okay with a 6.5~lb laptop that is 1.6" thick.

Thin/Light and Quiet = Doesn't exist (yet) in any Pascal equipped laptop or even any previous Maxwell based ones (which were even louder from MSI). The old GS60 was a few dB louder under load than the GS63!

hmscott and hfm like this.
  4. Pardo

Pardo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you had a chance to use the GL502VM 1060? I'm still on the fence, especially after learning that the GS63VR has 3 fans, one of which is small and whines at a high frequency, whereas the Asus has two larger ones that may be quieter / less whiny, but it's conjecture until I see a review or hear from someone that has used both laptops,.

5. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have only held/picked one up and used it for about 5 minutes.. The feel of the materials was more of a turn off than anything else about it. Being that the GL502 has a thicker body to the GS63, I would guess it should be slightly better on fan noise.. Also Asus tends to provide better out of the box EC profiles for the fans so it's probably very silent until anything demanding is going on like a game and or some big CPU crunching program.

If you don't mind overly flexible plastics on the Asus, it probably would be quieter overall in the long run. It's also closer to the weight of the GT62VR mind you at like 5.8 lbs. Edit: Asus specs say 4.9 lbs for the 1060 model. Asus is known to underrate weight so it's probably more like 5.2 lbs.

If you want a ultrabook with 1060, the GS43/63/73 are really the only solid choices at the moment.. Anything else is quite heavier and thicker. Razer will be the next thing coming out that can compete with the MSI in thin/light but they have always been just as loud/hot running.. But they are far less to spin up fans doing normal "office" type tasks than these GS series.. Just pulling up webpages will make the CPU go nuts sometimes on the GS models and that drives me insane because it makes the laptop feel "cheap".

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  6. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Newegg just went back in stock for the 4k version today

7. Derek712

Reputations:
    I much prefer the gs63vr over the gs60. First off, the ultra low fan speeds are almost silent. You have to be in an ultra quiet room to hear them at all. From my measurements, the ramped up speeds measure lower than the gs60 as well, but I also prefer the tone change. My opinion on that one, but it's nicer on the ears to me.

I'm pretty happy how they improved the fans on their models this year.

8. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, the improvement over the GS60 is welcome (which I owned a GS60 for about 2 weeks before ultimately returning that one for heat reasons and I don't recall being too bothered by the fans back then even).

But I think what spoiled me along the way is the big 17" laptops with near silent fans that when under load, only sound like a very low frequency white noise hum.

That being said, i'm probably going to have to return this GS63 and try out the GT62VR.. Nobody knows if the GT62VR has a ESS dac though like the GS series :/

9. Derek712

Reputations:
    ESS dac?

10. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    High quality digital-to-audio converter at the headphone 3.5mm jack. It's for 600ohm headphones and provides better sound quality to normal headphones too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.