MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Diversion, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Time to get this thread going!

Cross posting from another thread my thoughts so far:

I picked up the GS63VR from Best Buy tonight and the first thing I noticed is the high pitched sound coming from the CPU fan (right side when looking at the notebook).. That's pretty much a deal breaker for me. If they aren't supposed to be like this, I may exchange this one.. Because I do a lot of video encoding which will peg the cpu to 100% for hours at a time and I can't deal with this high pitched sound (I have sensitive ears).

I'm creating backup media using the MSI software to a 32gb USB drive.. After that I will be doing a fresh Win10 install to get rid of this bloat.

If anybody has any questions, i'll be on for the next 4ish hours.

Edit 1:
    Machine feels heavier than 3.9 lbs.. finding this spec to be hard to believe.
    It's thinner than a MacbookPro 15 and a little lighter. It also has a SLIGHTLY more footprint when comparing dimensions to a MBP15 Retina (It's almost an inch longer wide and like barely deeper). Pretty amazing that a 1060 is in the size of the MBP but also being lighter!

Very strong overall device.. Loving the build quality, feels like a black MacbookPro. Almost no keyboard flex too!

Edit 2:
    No PWM dimming! Good news, this is a DC fed display! Good and easy on the eyes when dimming.

Fan is still annoying under load (CPU, haven't used the GPU yet).

Notebookcheck Review: http://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GS63VR-6RF-Stealth-Pro-Notebook-Review.179761.0.html

Confirms the fans are "unpleasant" and the speakers are "disappointing."

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    Prototime and cq842000 like this.
  2. cq842000

cq842000 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well I am loving mine, and no that doesnt sound normal to me. It has a normal woosh sound when coolerboost is enabled, but no whining sound. My only complaint is the god-awful FHD screen (also got mine from Best Buy). I'd love to replace the panel with something alot better because it is way too dim even on brightest settings and the ghosting is horrible on it. I'll be glad when MSI offers a panel upgrade, perhaps even a 4k touchscreen version in the future. Aside from the awful screen I have no complaints and it plays games as well as my main rig with trifire R9 290x and a 4790K @ 5.0ghz. Obviously it's not as powerful as my desktop but there were many "Gameworks" games that I was never able to get running before trying them on this laptop.

3. Butr0sButr0s

Butr0sButr0s Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Been waiting for someone to star this thread, thanks! I'm hoping to pick a G63VR up when they are in stock at amazon, hopefully by then there will be a comparison between the 1080p and 4k screen, although I'll probably go 1080p even if it's subpar - I've just had too many scaling issues with legacy programs.

cq842000 likes this.
  4. cq842000

Reputations:
    I agree, as for me, it's been the opposite. I love how the 4k displays work extremely well for 1080p...lol. Witcher 3 everything ultra (hairworks off) all post-processing maxed out with a fluent 60fps even in the cities when not loading things in. Dying light all ultra in 1080p 60fps. Fallout 4 all ultra 60fps. the truth is, this thing is a thin beast of a machine. Basically a desktop GTX 980 in a laptop.

5. Butr0sButr0s

Butr0sButr0s Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Its great for games, 1080p looks crisp on a 4k screen - but it can be hell with some programs. Adobe CS6 is unusable because the ui is so small, and adobe refuses to fix the bug and simply asks you to upgrade to the creative cloud (why would I pay per month when my version is totally sufficient?). You can try to do a workaround by running a custom manifest file - but that makes your images blurry as a result : / Well, we'll see, if the 4k screen is vastly superior to the 1080p on the gs63 I could be persuaded....

cq842000 likes this.
  6. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Interesting.. I have a very audible high pitched sound from the cpu fan but not from the GPU fan so far.. I will likely need to replace this unit and since BB is out of stock this sucks! I don't want to wait for another one to get shipped! Lol.. But for me, as far as the screen goes, I find it to be very warm compared to my Asus (in signature) which is obviously also a far superior screen in terms of contrast and clarity. However, at brightest setting mine is BLINDING bright.. Maybe they are using a panel lottery on these things? The screen on it sort of reminds me of the Samsung PLS they used on the GS60 but it seems definitely different.. I'm trying to see if I can find a panel code somewhere.

cq842000 likes this.
  7. cq842000

Reputations:
    So where are we at on Firestrike scores? Here is my humble submission.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9975611

I am very sorry to hear about the whine bro, hope MSI fixes you up proper. As for the screen, yeah mine is a little on the warm side too, no doubt the Asus screens are superior. It must be a panel lottery, and I just got one from a mediocre supplier's batch, no biggy, I'll just replace it or hook it up to the big 4k Screen in the Living room if I'm that desperate. It's just the low brightness that bothers me, and probably why it appears to be ghosting. Maybe my screen controller is defective, or perhaps the light panel is.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    Diversion likes this.
  8. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here's a video of my cpu fan whine.

9. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Welps, had to say goodbye to my GS63VR based on the CPU fan issue.. Unfortunately Best Buy was unable to order, cross ship, transfer, etc. another unit from a warehouse or store. They tried figuring something out for 20 minutes to no avail so I was refunded.

I will be keeping an eye out on another unit until then.. So far I still believe the GS63VR is a great unit so far for the money compared to the other choices out there. Hoping more people pick this machine up and talk about it to keep me busy until more stock come in!

10. DukeCLR

DukeCLR Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm not sure if it's the sound from my PC ot my hearing after 25 years of flying loud airplanes but I could barley hear it, Is it an air noise or an electric noise?