MSI GS63VR Display Panel

Discussion in 'MSI' started by RagingOcelot, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's definitely true.

Matt123pj likes this.
  2. cavell219

cavell219 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I do not have you laptop, I have an MS1781 MSI whitebook and a 16L13 , but I stumbled on this thread and thought I might be able to help.

First of all can you give me your current cables model number? Most likely it is 40 pin at the motherboard and converts to 30 pin to connect to the screen. If this is the case the cable you will most likely need is k1n-3040052-h39. This cable is the MSI 40 pin to 40 pin eDP cable. I have one on order now, I have ordered 3 separate ones now from Aliexpress, but they always ship the wrong part number. I ordered my new one from Waresphere so I am hoping it will be the correct one this time. They assured me it will be.

With the new cable you should be able to use most 40 pin edp screen if the pitch is the same.

Before you purchase one though I would recommend you send me your model number first so I can at least try to see if it is compatible for you.

3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Is this a conversion cable? Same pitch but has 30-pin on one end and 40-pin on the other?

4. cavell219

cavell219 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is the legit cable that MSI sells when they have a laptop with a 4k display. It is a 40 to 40pin eDP.

Most newer MSI boards are a 40 pin(flat slide in ribbon cable female end) on the mobo. And they go 40 --> 30 in the cable (like my current one)

5. Matt123pj

Matt123pj Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't have the current cable. I am in the process of purchasing the laptop. ill try contacting support to see if they can help. although, i doubt they will be able too. If it is the case where the mobo has the 40pin connector and it can work, then thats awesome.I thanks :) so is it that all 001 models come with the poor screen or just some? the model i am going to purchase is the gs63vr 6RF.

6. eurodj101

eurodj101 Notebook Geek

Reputations:

001 model has a subpar display...most other ones have a better one. Das for the new edp cable..i think u can source one online...i didnt go that route and just swapped for a better panel..also if u are careful u dont need another bezel...mine came off clean.

7. ir1

ir1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just picked up one of the 6RF used. It is an 001, which wasnt my first choice but the price was too good to pass up. Better news is the screen turns out to be an IPS from everything I can tell. It is an LP156WF6-SPK3, LGD0533. I wasnt able to find much on it that wasnt in Chinese, still what I found indicated it is an IPS and beyond that colors look good and viewing angle is great and is plenty bright. So if you are going to get an 001, it appears some have an IPS. The one I have was originally purchased at a Best Buy in January.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    There's some info here about your panel.
    http://www.panelook.com/LP156WF6-SPK3_LG Display_15.6_LCM_overview_28147.html

9. ir1

ir1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ahh yes that was one of the few sites I came across with some info in English. That helped confirm it as an IPS panel. When I got the laptop and reviewed the screen I thought "wow this is the TN panel everyone complains about? Not bad at all..." only later to confirm, it was not, which I was pretty pleased with.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  10. ncgi89

ncgi89 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So just finished my 4K upgrade, here is the cable that you need for the upgrade.
    P_20170530_155645.jpg

The "K" in the model number is half covered, but this is a 40 to 40 cable out of a 6RF. My machine is a 7RE, I will put up screen shots tomorrow.
    The full model of the cable is K1N-3040055-H39

This is the screen I am now using. P_20170530_160308.jpg

Haven't had any issues with the screen at all, but I only just got the new screen installed today, so I will keep everyone up to date.