MSI GS63VR Display Panel

Discussion in 'MSI' started by RagingOcelot, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Cosmic.Artifact

Cosmic.Artifact Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am also looking at the BestBuy model, just about to purchase it actually...can anyone recommend a good 2K (1440p) screen for future replacement? I am not interested in going 4k but will be using the laptop in the sun a bit as my work environment has more natural lighting (huge windows)

Also I wonder if someone who owns this model can also look and confirm that the Thunderbolt port is 4 full lanes and not just 2? ...two lanes would be the deal breaker for me. I like the laptop very much and the shortcomings can be overcome easily imo but I am having a heck of a time deciding between the GS63vr-252 and the new Gigabyte Aero15.

thanks

2. Jvenezia

Jvenezia Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm in the same process right now. In fact I ordered the same screen the AUO. I was wondering what tape did you use to reinstall the bezel?

3. itsallpoo

itsallpoo Newbie

Reputations:
    I just brought home my gs63vr, I bought it because reviews for MSI laptops are generally great to excellent but now I'm seeing all these things that the best buy version of this unit may have an inferior screen etc.(?) This is disconcerting to say the least, you'd think that sort of thing would be quite a blow to MSI reputation on their gaming laptops if that's true. I took a screen snip so that someone more knowledgeable than myself can help me identify the screen on my laptop, I am still within the time period that I can return this laptop but I can't figure out how to attach it (do I need a photobucket or something?).

I really don't want to return it I'm in love with it so far but if I've been screwed I am certainly not going to allow bestbuy to keep 1,500.00 of my hard earned sweat and tears for an inferior version of the product. Personally I think the screen is great at least going by the somewhat older samsung monitor I have on my desktop. I see both LGD046F and CMN15DG in the properties for the monitor so do I have one of the crappy screens? I think I have read that there is a 4K screen version? I don't really care much about that especially with the thunderbolt features for a future flat panel tv purchase but I would like to know exactly what screen I've got here before it's too late to return it without a restock fee. I have been building desktops for years so I know more than your average bear about this sort of thing but this is my first gaming laptop and i want to go raise hell if I've been handed a red herring here.

4. F34R

F34R Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How do I look and see which panel is in my Stealth Pro 252? it simply shows generic PnP monitor, with a 2006 windows driver. :(

5. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For instance with HWiNFO, AIDA64 etc. etc.

6. itsallpoo

itsallpoo Newbie

Reputations:
    go to device manager, then monitor and you should see several tabs where it says generic .... blah blah. Under the "Events" tab you should see several lines of text in the lower "information" window. You may see something with letters and numbers such as LGD046F or CMN15DG that "should" be the information you want but the next bit of fun is figuring out what panel that information belongs too. I imagine a google search may turn it up or post in a forum specific to your model maybe someone can direct you.

7. F34R

F34R Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you both. I've got it now. Now I have to find out if I need to update the driver and if there is a benefit to do so.