MSI GS63VR Display Panel

Discussion in 'MSI' started by RagingOcelot, Aug 24, 2016.

1. RagingOcelot

RagingOcelot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know of a Assembly/Disassembly manual that is available for the following model,

GS63VR Stealth Pro-001

This laptop currently has a LG LP156WF6-SPK1 panel in it and frankly I am not impressed.

I am primarily trying to figure out if the Display panel connector/cable is a EDP connector, or a 30/40 pin VLDS connector, or if there is even a difference... I find no mention of it on MSI's website, or places like XoticPC.

I was interested in either replacing the existing FHD panel with a brighter model, or trying to go to a UHD panel.

If anyone knows anything on this topic, let me know.

2. alejo099

alejo099 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

Hope this helps. So if you look here:

https://us.msi.com/Laptop/GS63VR-Stealth-Pro-6th-Gen-GTX-1060.html#hero-specification&sku_no=1763

You bought the slightly cheaper version (I think from best buy $1550). The panel is listed as 15.6" FHD, Anti-Glare (1920*1080) eDP Vivid Color 94%,, rather than 15.6" Full HD eDP IPS-Level. Note that the other versions of the laptop have an IPS, not just eDP as yours. IPS should be at least 20% brighter, or so they say.

Maybe you can exchange your laptop for the other models that have a different panel? Will best buy take your laptop back?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  3. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    eDP is embedded display port, which is the internal connection type. This has exactly nothing to do with IPS, which is a type of LCD panel tech.

Sent from a 128th Legion Stormtrooper 6P

4. Butr0sButr0s

Butr0sButr0s Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Interesting, at first I thought the versions were the same thing but it is strange that the -001 model lists a different display:
    GS63VR Stealth Pro-001: 15.6" FHD, Anti-Glare (1920*1080) eDP Vivid Color 94%
    GS63VR Stealth Pro-034: 15.6" Full HD eDP IPS-Level
    GS63VR Stealth Pro-041: 15.6" Full HD eDP IPS-Level
    GS63VR Stealth Pro-068: 15.6" Full HD eDP IPS-Level

alejo099 likes this.
  5. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Disassembly not recommended on screen for this, screen is has adhesive glue directly to bezel and can be easily broken.

6. RagingOcelot

RagingOcelot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Tanner@XoticPC

Based on your comment I will not try to replace the screen and will most likely return the laptop.

My job requires me to work outside sometimes, in full sunlight, and yesterday the display proved to be tough to read regardless if it was pointed away from the sun, 90 deg to the sun, or pointed into the sun.

I notice XoticPC offers the following models,

MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro 4k-021
    MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro-034

Are you able to provide any information on the screen panels used in these machines? I like the laptop overall, but the screen in this particular model -001 is a deal-breaker for me.

I noticed the LG panel brightness is listed at 250 cd/m2 on www.panelook.com and I really prefer panels around 300cd/m2.

@alejo099

Yes this was the Best Buy model, and I did not notice the panel listing difference at the time.

7. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's still going to be bad if you try to look at it no matter what.
    Have you considered other options such as a sun shade? See below.
    [Product Link]

8. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Likely it is the same screen in the models you have listed

9. Butr0sButr0s

Butr0sButr0s Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm guessing here, but its likely the -034 and -001 would have the same screen. It seems like the only difference in the 1080p sku's is the hard drive configuration, it would be strange for the screens to be different; the text on the MSI web page might just be a typo or holdover from an earlier screen description. Regardless it would be nice to get the exact screen model from someone with the -034.

For the -021 (the 4k), there's a video where someone is subjectively happy with it, but I've also heard a few complaints that its a pentile display. I wish I could check one out in person but best buy only carries the 1080p -001 at the moment.

10. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you do decide to replace it, just make sure you buy a replacement bezel from MSI ahead of time. I've done it with a couple previous models and I broke a snap both times. The bezel will run you about $30 shipped. Tanner is right though, they use double sided tape all around and it's a pain in the butt to get them off. Once it's off though, swapping panels is easy. The replacement bezel comes with double sided tape, ready to stick on again.