MSI GS63VR 4Kvs GIGABYTE Aero 15

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by droidfury, Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. droidfury

droidfury Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget? 2,000 USD

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen (but thin and light)

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

It will be bought in the US by a trusted seller but will be shipped in the Philippines

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Sager, MSI, Gigabyte
    b. Dislike: Asus
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Yes, if possible but I have some reservation due to warranty issues.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming, Office work, and playing videos.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Latest Triple A Titles although I know the limits of GTX 1060. Some other older games and games from other platforms, (emulation)

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

It does not matter but when in office I really need a decent battery life.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Yes, if possible but I am okay with the online purchase for as long as it was from a trusted reseller.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows 7 although I know the Pascal GPUS only work on Windows 10 so I might as well embraced it.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

A good full HD resolution in an IPS display is more than enough for me. The only reason why I am considering the MSI GS63VR 4K is the price of the seller. The specification of the 4k variant is so much better than the regular one due to the fact that it has a 500GB SSD instead of 256GB for almost the same price if I had just upgrade the SSD of the FHD variant.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

It doesn't matter for as long as it has a good viewing angle.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Yes, these are the only laptop that I saw with good styling. I am leaning more on MSI GS63VR in this category since its much sleeker in design and much lighter.

15) When are you buying this laptop?

In a month or two when I sold my current sager.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

3 - 4 years depending on how promising the thunderbolt 3 future proofing would be.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

At least 512 GB for the OS and games. I can live with the slow HDD for my files.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

No, but I will buy one here in our country if ever I need one.

Its really hard for me to decide since I have watched a few review of both machines and they both have high pros and cons so I would like to ask for the opinions or suggestion of experts here in this site. I am no longer considering other machines since I prefer a thin and light gaming machine with thunderbolt 3. I almost put the Clevo P950/Sager Np8952 if it has a TB3 port.

I am open to other suggestion as long as it meets my specification.

Here are my other questions to the owners of these machines.

1. I really like the looks of the Aero 15 but based on the videos that I have watched, is the keyboard
    lighting is not that bright? at least compared with MSI GS63VR or other gaming laptop keyboard
    because I really like a bright lighting keyboard.

2. Are the speakers of these machines are really that bad?

3. Warranty. Which company offers a better coverage since both of them have a global warranty.

I am sorry for the long post and I hope you can help me. I am also sorry if this comparison has been asked before.

Cheers. :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.