MSI GS60 Ghost/ Ghost Pro Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by GreaseMonkey90, Jan 14, 2014.

1. dorj1234

dorj1234 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Your reports that the wifi card is disconnecting with GS60 heat is a severe problem

Based on these repeating posts the following will help us get MSI's attention to resolve this (not sure how):
    1. If you own a GS60 - use MSI's customer support even if you don't experience the problem. You may start experiencing it when your fans get a bit dirty with time
    2. If you pre-ordered (like me) consider reaching out and canceling the order or demanding an inquiry by the reseller to MSI
    3. MSI on facebook will hear about it from me, any social media where MSI can be receiving feedback on
    4. Those who can reach out to MSI HQ should do it

Such design flaw is a deal breaker for many of us. No intense work or gaming on Wifi ? I'm not sure a firmware is enough to fix this.
    Dor

PALin00 likes this.
  2. colonels

colonels Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    you are reading too much into that

the problem occurs BEFORE the CPU and GPU heat up to 70+ C, it happens early on just as the GPU is activated for a game and even before the GPU fans start to spin up. so the problem isn't after gaming for a few minutes when everything heats up, it's when everything is STARTING for gaming that the WIFI signal drops out

that's why i thought it might be a power consumption issue, like the GPU + fans were taking power away from the WIFI card thus losing signal strength, or possibly the GPU frequency is causing some kind of WIFI signal interference as it spins up, but it isn't the heat that is the issue.

with the wifi extender i have had no problems, so maybe it really is an issue with the 7260 AC card since googling it brings up all kinds of problems with it

PALin00 likes this.
  3. PALin00

PALin00 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, to be honest, I don't remember anyone posting when exactly the wifi starts to have troubles with signal strength, but it could be just poor memory on my side :) I remember someone posting a comment that when he started gaming, wifi signal dropped quite rapidly and this is what came to me as a possible reason, but you certainly could be right that I'm reading too much into it. Your power consumption and signal interference ideas aren't that bad. I quite like them, as a possibilities, but can't really express an opinion on them, since I lack the knowledge regarding those issues.

4. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Could try putting a small heat sink on it with conductive adhesive and see if that fixes it. Obviously some risk but that might rule it out.

I suppose also pointing a hair drier or heat gun at it while the laptop is idle might rule out power issues.

5. be77solo

be77solo pc's and planes

Reputations:
    I've pushed the CPU/GPU hard for hours while playing and benchmarking and don't have any WiFi issues. I'm guessing those that do are related to the WiFi card itself either driver or hardware, maybe a loose antenna, or even router/access point related.

If this was a design flaw due to heat we all would have the problem. I use the WiFi exclusively for network connection and haven't run into this in a week and a half of constant work and play with the notebook.

I think its a bit premature to start blasting MSI publicly over this ;)

6. colonels

colonels Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here's a link documenting Intel 7260 card problems
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/networking-wireless/741371-wireless-slowdowns.html

I believe my problem is that I have the 7260 AC card and my router is a 2.4ghz N band router lol. My solution was to use a netgear wireless extender that took the 2.4ghz signal and rebroadcast it as a 5ghz signal. My gs60 connects and stays good 95% of the time.

I suppose I could've just changed my router to an AC dual band but then I'd have to configure all my printers and home video ip cameras too so the extender was a simpler option.

be77solo and PALin00 like this.
  7. be77solo

be77solo pc's and planes

Reputations:
    That link makes perfect sense, and indicates this is inherent to this line of Intel WiFi cards... You'd think WiFi cards would be reliable by now ha. I've got a Marvel card in my Surface Pro 2 that is terrible on 2.4ghz bands, the Killer cards are buggy, and apparently so are the Intel cards!

For what it's worth, I connect to 5.0ghz and haven't noticed any issues.

8. axel7

axel7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I see that MSI has shrunk numpad

Can someone measured the width of the numpad, how many millimeters is it from the edge of the No. 1 (left) key to the edge of the No. 3 key (right - just numbers, no enter and +)?

thanks

9. PALin00

PALin00 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, I think that kind of settles it then. It's the wifi module itself that is most likely somehow iffy :) Thanks for that.

On the other note, would one of you guys that already has his GS60 be willing to measure the palm rest? I would like to know, how much smaller it is compared to my notebook and I couldn't really find it's proportions.

Thanks!

10. be77solo

be77solo pc's and planes

Reputations:
    NUMPAD works great, just spent the entire afternoon wrapping up my corporate taxes (FUN FUN ;) ), would have been a nightmare without it! That's a big reason why I didn't go with the 14" Razer.

From the far left of the 1 key to the far right of the 3 key mine measures 45mm, total NUMPAD width being 64mm.

Glad you guys asked measuring questions at the same time haha, had tape measure out to measure NUMPAD for axel... :D

From the edge of notebook to the bottom row of keys, it is 83mm deep. Width is 388mm, with the track pad measuring 105mm x 70mm located 95mm from the left hand side.

Did want to add another thought on the screen quality. After using the notebook for a week and a half now, I have really grown to appreciate the screen. It is crisp and bright, with very good viewing angles... after spending all afternoon in Excel and Word, very satisfied from a productivity stand point with the screen and keyboard.

axel7 and PALin00 like this.