1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

MSI GS60 Ghost/ Ghost Pro Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by GreaseMonkey90, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Wonano

Wonano Notebook Enthusiast

I think that is normal.

2. Meaker

Meaker Company Representative

I think it is just one intensity on this model.

3. Sanarae

Sanarae Notebook Consultant

Hey guys, so instead of this problematic Precision M3800, I might be switching over to an GS60. I was wondering that for a normal user, are there any issues such as heat issues or noise issues or even the most simple things like coil whining that could be annoying in a quiet setting? Also, how is the build quality? I am also a former Macbook Air user, so my expectations of build quailty may be abnormally high, but I am fine with it as long as the laptop does not look too cheap or flimsy. Thanks

4. be77solo

be77solo pc's and planes

Mine looks like that during the day, but at night the lettering on those keys are still lit up just fine.

5. chant81

chant81 Notebook Enthusiast

I have the same issue. I did a powercfg -batteryreport and got the following:
    16:23:34 Active AC 98 % 53,291 mWh
    16:32:36 Active Battery 98 % 53,280 mWh
    16:34:44 Active AC 98 % 53,280 mWh
    17:05:58 Active Battery 98 % 53,280 mWh
    17:06:04 Active AC 98 % 53,280 mWh
    17:09:11 Active Battery 98 % 53,280 mWh
    17:09:17 Active AC 98 % 53,280 mWh
    17:18:27 Active Battery 98 % 53,280 mWh
    17:18:33 Active AC 98 % 53,280 mWh

It switches between AC and battery at random points. I've tried doing an EC reset a couple of times and running the MSI battery calibration, to no avail.

Is it a defect battery? Anything else I could try?

6. mardon

mardon Notebook Deity

I've just been reading a thread about the maxwell 860m. They're getting 5k on 3DMark firestrike with a volt mod and overclocking. Can the 870m get that or is it worth getting the 860m version (yes I know it's kepler) and overclocking that.

That's the Graphics only score btw.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

7. axel7

axel7 Notebook Geek

I don´t know. I wonder if someone else have same problem and maybe solutions. And now when it charging sometimes it charge sometimes not, sometimes showing no battery massage, and GPU go on and off and screens light adjusts upp and down.. creazy :)

8. axel7

axel7 Notebook Geek

thanx a lot

in silent mode (fan off) with AC plugged in (with dinamic cpu voltage on -0,85 mw in Intel XTU) playing Youtube video I get 60 degrees C
    but on battery (with same eco mode and same settings) I get 54 degrees

so what is diferent in this 2 cases (same mode same settings) and how can I get same heat on battery and on AC plugged in?

p.s. Asus nv550jk with same processor and settings reach 5 degrees less, about 49

9. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

It's purposeful. The battery stops charging to avoid damaging it. It will start charging it again when it discharges a small amount. My Samsung has a battery saver setting that keeps it from going past 80%. So it charges to 80, then discharges over a week or two to 75-76% then charges back up to 80 and repeat. I leave it plugged in like 99.9% of the time, it's bad to store a battery at 100% which is basically what you're doing if you leave it plugged in. I notice that over the two weeks that it's slowly draining windows reports "On AC, not charging". So the laptop is using AC power but the charging logic is off, so it's just discharging slowly as if it's powering almost nothing. I'm sure there is leakage due to the charging circuit being active and monitoring it.

10. chant81

chant81 Notebook Enthusiast

I understand what you mean, but I think this case is different. The laptop goes to "battery mode" every now and then even when being plugged in. The icon on the windows taskbar stops showing the cable, as if the AC adapter had been removed, when it's perfectly plugged. Battery charge also goes down to -1 mWh sometimes

20:52:40 Active AC 100 % 53,860 mWh
    21:19:44 Active Battery - -1 mWh
    21:19:47 Active AC 100 % 53,860 mWh
    21:34:49 Active Battery - -1 mWh
    21:34:52 Active AC 100 % 53,860 mWh

The duration of these switches to battery mode ranges from a few seconds to a couple of minutes. During that time the screen brightness goes to the battery setting (I have lower brightness) which is very annoying. If I'm playing a game, framerate drops to 30 fps (Geforce battery boost). It behaves as it the AC adapter was unplugged.

I have also seen a "Battery not detected" message while the laptop was not even plugged to the AC adapter. Powercfg reported:

Installed batteries
    Information about each currently installed battery
    No batteries are currently installed

Again, the laptop was running from the battery when I got this message. This issue is similar to the problem axel7 reported on his post.

I think it's a bit worrying that the battery has this behavior with a laptop that is brand new, and can't see any reason why this would be normal behavior.

Anyone has any idea what's going on and/or how to fix the issue?

11. Nivaku

Nivaku Notebook Evangelist

So I plan on buying MSI GS60 Ghost-003 (i7/860M GTX), I understand that there's a youtube video on audio. I want to know from actual owners though, when gaming do you consider the laptop to be loud?

12. be77solo

be77solo pc's and planes

Audio/loud as in speakers or fan noise?

Fan noise is quieter than the GT60/GT70 series when gaming, and in my opinion not loud, but will be louder than the G46. Idle fan speeds are faster than I'd prefer stock, but I easily fixed that with an EC mod thanks to Svet and now no longer an issue. I've asked my wife if she thinks it's loud, as she always knew when I'm gaming on the GT60, and with the GS60 she doesn't think it's loud either or comments on the noise.

If you are talking speakers, they aren't great, but are totally acceptable and greatly improved with the Sound Blaster software that is included.

13. Svegetto

Svegetto Notebook Consultant

I don't have my gs60 pro yet (on it's way) so I can't comment on behavior. However, I have seen something similar in a tablet before (nexus 7) which was caused by a loose connection of the battery. Once I opened up the tablet and plugged the cable completely in, no more issued (also added some extra padding so that the battery was snug, as before there was a tiny gap which would let it wiggle and led to the cable being loose). I'm not sure if this is related, but it might be worth making sure that your battery connection is solid.

14. webusermy

webusermy Notebook Enthusiast

I've figured that much, seeing how the intensity of the illumination on the logo is based off the settings with the brightness on the screen. Just wondering if anyone has attempted to take the logo out, if it's easy to do so or it'll cause damage to the case etc.

It's not a problem at all. It's the design of it. It is designed to light up the printing on the keys, not the surrounding. If you observe the keys which does not have the lights bleeding from the bottom, those keys do not have a FN function on it. look at F1 as well. Because of the lack of a Function Icon on the keys, they did not put the back light at the lower part of the key. As someone else mentioned, the etching on the keys will still light up as normal.

15. Exorific

Exorific Notebook Enthusiast

what about the ctrl button that is supposed to be blue but the other half is green

16. webusermy

The chosen colour by this poster was blue-green.

When you're looking at the CTRL lettering on the keyboard, it will be blue-green in colour. It's just the positioning of it.

17. Exorific

Exorific Notebook Enthusiast

im the poster, n i set everything to blue

18. webusermy

Sorry, can't tell from the image.

But that's what I get when I set it to blue-green.

19. backfire

backfire Notebook Enthusiast

Has anyone who tried this software technique have feedback on how effective it is compared to the EC flashing method?

20. elliotcyoung

elliotcyoung Newbie

Could somebody clarify for me whether or not this laptop is in stock or not? It says pre-order on the website, but I've seen a few comments that say it's in stock.