MSI GS60 Ghost/ Ghost Pro Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by GreaseMonkey90, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yjacket2001

yjacket2001 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    All my MSI's have flickered no matter what I do. Maybe I can fix it if I have a spare man-month dedicated to it. I would expect $2,500 would buy a properly working lap top: evidently not :(

I'm just glad I kept my $500 13" Acer from Walmart. It keeps working properly forever and I don't need any help FROM THE START!

2. holliday777

holliday777 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey there, just bought a GS60 (970m version with 4K screen) off the forum here. I turned it on after we received it and it was in good shape, however the Steelseries keyboard software was not working right. Long story, short. Decided to update to the .114 bios from the MSI site. Flash seemed to be successful, however now no display when booting. Have tried to connect to external monitor to no avail. Did the EC reset through the pinhole on the side of the laptop also. Anyone have any success fixing this issue or do I now own a fancy brick?

3. holliday777

holliday777 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Quick update: Sent the laptop in to MSI on RMA. They did an amazing job of fixing the laptop and had it shipped back to me in a matter of days. Considering that I bought this laptop used, amazing service.

Donald@zTecpc likes this.
  4. mosc2k

mosc2k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello guys, i got a big problem and hopefully you can help me please :)

System: Msi GS60 2PE

When i am looking to cpu-z i see that my Core Speed and Multiplier ist jumping random as you can see on the screenshots. How can i fix it?
    When i play some games, i screen freeze for 1-2 sec :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THANKS !!!

5. Foreigner

Foreigner Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello!

I'm running GeForce GTX 970M on my laptop (MSI GS60 i7-5700HQ).

My laptop used to switch to integrated gpu when I'm not running graphic intensive program. After I installed the most recent nVidia driver update (version 378.78), it consistently runs on dedicated gpu, but I don't want that.

I opened "nVidia control panel" and set preferred graphics processor to integrated graphics, but it doesn't do anything. (The power button still lit orange.)

Is there anything else I can do so it switches to integrated gpu when I'm not running games?

--
    Update:

I uninstalled nVidia graphic card (to do a clean install) and my power button is still showing orange. Does this mean it's not a problem about nVidia update but about the laptop itself? How should I diagnose this issue?

Update 2:

I opened "Display GPU activity" and the only program I found that is using dedicated gpu is nVidia Share.exe

[​IMG]

Update 3:

Custom-clean installing the previous driver version from MSI fixed this for me.

Not fixed.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  6. yjacket2001

yjacket2001 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Like James Brown said, "Welcome to the club!"

7. bloodo

bloodo Newbie

Reputations:
    I believe when you update the nVidia driver, you have to reinstall the driver for the integrated graphics as well. Hope that fixes your issue.

8. SGO1987

SGO1987 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Bought the MSI GS60 6QE last October 2016 and after struggling to install Windows 7 (shared a guide: #2348), I've been enjoying it during these months.

However, I decided yesterday to update MSI True Color, Battery Calibration and SCM. I'm not aware if it's because of these updates, but I'm suddenly suffering a painful issue and odd behaviour. The CPU fan is turning off randomly at 40, 42 and 43ºC (checking through Dragon Gaming Center), and suddenly getting on at fast or maximum speed (from 4200 to 5300 RPM) for no reason, while iddle. As soon as it reaches again the previously specified temperatures, it starts again this off/on behaviour, which is very annoying and hadn't happened before. This behaviour usually starts when launching a game for a few minutes (no high temperatures despite playing for hours, normal behaviour), exiting and waiting in the desktop in iddle (when lowering temperatures to 40, 42 and 43ºC), but it is also happening despite not playing any game in the same day. If I restart the laptop it still happens, but the next day or after a few hours, I switch it on again and everything seems back to normal (well, CPU fan is always between 3137 and 3200 RPM even when correctly started; when I first have this laptop, it was reaching 2800-2900 RPM while iddle with the default EC Firmware)... until it starts again.

Obviously, I can't stand this behaviour (still on guarantee). I uninstalled SCM and Battery Calibration and install the previous version of SCM that was working correctly, but nothing changed. My EC firmware is up to date: 16H7EMS1.107. The funny thing is that the issue which is apparently solving this version ("Workaround for thermal fan goes into a stall randomly") is currently happening to me with this version since yesterday...

Is anyone suffering or had suffered the same? If so, how did you fix it? I thought about reinstalling the EC firmware 16H7EMS1.107.

Thank you very much in advance!

P.S: I've never used the MSI Silent software for editing the EC firmware.

9. Léo Martin

Léo Martin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    SGO1987 likes this.
  10. SGO1987

SGO1987 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Léo Martin! Thank you very much for your reply.

I actually have the latest Dragon Gaming Center (2.0.1701.0601) installed. I thought Dragon Center isn't compatible with MSI GS60 6QE (i7-6700HQ as well), as there is no link provided in "Utility".

In fact, I was also facing the same prior to the CPU fan issue: the lowest RPM were 3200-3300, despite being recently switched on and at 32-39ºC. However, the laptop was getting 2800-2900 RPM when I bought it (EC Firmware: 16H7EMS1.105) and after updating to 16H7EMS1.107. I think that recent SCM update messed up everything (had the prior version installed without any issue).

How did you find this link? Since when do you have the same issue? I would try and let you know if this fixes it. Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.