MSI GS60 Ghost/ Ghost Pro Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by GreaseMonkey90, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berbertpk

berbertpk Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Everyone !

It seems that the community around the gs60 is quite active !
    It does feel nice for a new owner of this beeautiful thing ! ^^

First I would like to give some personnal reviews and tips about this laptop :

1) I bought the 2PC-247xfr (basically the french version without OS on it).

2) I also prepared some other gs60 2PC-248fr for a friend and a client, and this other version (with windows 8.1 this time) seemed to have a different keyboard (less solid with shinier led under it for the windows 8.1 version)... Weird thing...

3) About this keyboard, what an ugly typefont on it... But it's a pleasure under my fingers so ..!

4) The new firmware on the touchpad does change everything I think ! I forgot to install it on the gs60 of my friend, and it was really un-precise and weird... On mine, I tried this new firmware thing and it's perfect ! I have to try to install it on my friend's laptop to see if this is the reason of this huge improvement !

5) You have to use the Sound blaster Cinema 2, it's a game changing piece of software ! The sound is really crappy without it and it also seemed that the computer does'nt use all the speaker without this driver ! It also reduce noise on the mini-jack output !! Amazing, you have to try to start the computer with a speaker at high volume plugged on it, you will ear a major change when the sound blaster program start !

6) What an ugly shiny logo... It will be under a sticker for me during a year, after the garanty stuff I will try to dismount the screen and DIY something more appealing ! ^^
    If you have some video about a project like that, don't hesitate to share !

7) For those how have a problem with the full page program Steeseries Engine at startup, I would suggest to delete previous driver and reinstall the latest from msi, and if it doesn't work I made this little .bat (linked to this post) file that you will have to put in your steelseries Engine folder, and create a shortcut to place in the startup folder instead of letting the program start by itself. You might also have to activate "start minimize" on the shortcut option of the .bat file !

Download attachment : View attachment mini.txt (Change .txt to .bat)

8) The only really bad point for me is the noise !
    Is there any good solution for calming down this beautiful laptop during "idle/simple browsing" mode ?
    I saw something from Kazoul but it was released in May... Maybe a better version came out after this one ? Please share your experience !

Hope my experience will help some new or old owners as well, and I count on you to share your experience on the fan noise stuff !

Thanks

Bertrand

2. chuck.hopefinder

chuck.hopefinder Newbie

Reputations:
    hi, any proud owners of MSI Gs60 4k 2QE here? XD

3. SeagateBoy

SeagateBoy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I do have one but it's being sent back for repair due to automatic shut down when the battery reaches 50% :(

4. aquantum

aquantum Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey everyone,

What type of the the display in MSI GS60 QE models (with GTX970M)?

IPS or TN?

Thanks

5. Gerger

Gerger Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The specs are decent but might as well buy a Alienware or build a PC.

6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    TN panel, they are usually non-IPS unless otherwise noted.

7. Schmimar

Schmimar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I thought they were PLS when did that change?

8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    EDIT:
    According to MSI, basically they are using PLS panel, but there are also low-end models that use TN panel.
    If there's a specific model that you want to find out then best to mention the whole name including sub-model #.

9. be77solo

be77solo pc's and planes

Reputations:
  10. Character Zero

Character Zero Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is there anyway to squeeze some for performace from the 860m? I remeber seeing way back in this thread some modifications for the 870m, but was wondering if anyone has some stable mods for the 860m?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.