MSI GS60 Ghost/ Ghost Pro Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by GreaseMonkey90, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sniper514

Sniper514 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Finally pulled the trigger and ordered a GS60 064 from GentechPC. Got free IC Diamond thermal upgrade to both CPU/GPU, mouse, mousepad, external DVD writer, recovery USB, backpack, Keyboard skin, Protective sleeve, and 3 free games to boot :) So very happy with my purchase as of now :) Hope the feeling doesn't change once I get it! My only concerns are poorer battery life than the P35W but I guess thats something I'm going to have to live with. But otherwise, I'm happy to read about fewer reliability/driver issues than the P35W/X, the latter has a ton of them along with Power state BSODs and CPU throttling. Many people have returned their laptop due to . So for now, I feel I've made the right decision. Can't wait to get my hands on it!!

Few other concerns:
    1. The glowing Dragon logo on the lid. Any way to atleast turn the light off? I noticed that a reseller was offering the option to have it turned off for 40$. Any way we can do this on our own? Or atleast buy some sort of a shield sticker to cover it when at work? I'm a doctor, so feel rather awkward taking it to the Hospital:)

2. Any way one can have a custom fan profile which can turn off the fan at idle, so that it can be quieter? I understand this was done for the 870M version. Can it be done for the 970M? Could the constantly spinning fan be one of the causes of a lower battery life?.....because then we can improve idle battery life a little if we can turn the fan off.

3. Is it easy to take off the bottom lid, just to periodically clean the laptop from the inside? Any wires/ribbon cables that are in the way and must be removed and then put back in place? I will be going to India for a few months, where its really dusty, so will need to do that once a month.

4. Anyone have any issues after upgrading the drivers/BIOS, etc from factory versions? Many people had them in the P35X forums, so was wondering what the case is with the GS60. Thankfully I haven't heard of any yet, but I guess I'll still feel comfortable running it with factory versions initially.

Thank you for your inputs!!
    Regards

2. georgebuc

georgebuc Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello.

I've just got my hands on my new laptop for 2 hours now and i'm horrified with what i'm getting from this forum regarding the numerous problems this model have and i didn't knew. I have the following problem which can be listened in the following youtube video i've just uploaded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndJPVYyPk9I

It starts in about 30 seconds after Windows it's on. I tried everything. I researched a bit and some say it's the hard drive( tried the quietHDD, didn't help ), some say it's Realtek Audio driver( disabled and uninstalled the audio components, didn't worked ) .

Do you think you can help me guys? As for the specs of the machine, it's the one with 1TB + 512ssd / GTX 970M. Model : GS60 Ghost Pro 3K

Please let me know. I considered to be the perfect gift for ..me and now it almost ruined my Christmas.

Regards,
    George

3. georgebuc

georgebuc Newbie

Reputations:
    Let me know :( George

4. Sniper514

Sniper514 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  5. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Noise is caused by the fan grinding against the housing, loosening it a little will stop the grinding.

6. clickclack169

clickclack169 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm having my GS60 3K with GTX 870M almost 5 months already. I bought it from GentechPC. I have flashed the vbios and change the 1TB HDD to SSD myself and I have no problem ever since. Until lately, I think about 3 weeks already, when ever I played any games, my game would freeze the screen itself and the sound still playing, I can still control my character, using skill normally but the screen just freeze. I have a Notification that say Nvidia driver has stopped responding and recovered. It happened to me for many games like Diablo III, Warframe, Starcraft II etc, as long as the game is running fullscreen. I have googled and they said that is the problem with the Nvidia GTX cards which seems quite true because my Desktop which is using GTX 780 also have same problem. Anybody experience this problem before ???

7. georgebuc

georgebuc Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok! Got it.

I loosened that a bit, it seemed at the moment it works but then suddenly, after 20 minutes i hear it again. I have loosened both but still from time to time, depends on the position of the laptop i hear it once or two. Now, i have removed both ( see picture ) from that and i hope i will not hear that sound again. I think it's very very pressed, and that's the fault? Or the fan could be not in his place or something?
    Better i should open it myself or so?

P.s.: Merry Christmas! Thanks for the replies, you guys are awesome, really. :)

George! msi.jpg

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  8. georgebuc

georgebuc Newbie

Reputations:
    Still got that clicking from time to time even with both out, depends on the position of the lid.

Sounds to me like it needs professional attention, isn't it?

9. Nelson4

Nelson4 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there such a thing as a GS60 with 970m 4Gb+ and 3k or 4k display? It seems odd to me all the systems with this much vram don't have a high res display and the ones with high res only get 3gb. It seems you need more vram to handle that a 4k resolution but not necessarily for full HD. I'd like to avoid a flashy gold version. (I'd love the gold version if it weren't.. Well.. Gold.)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  10. Zapp_2014

Zapp_2014 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lol. My thoughts exactly. I'm not sure who chooses the configurations but they might need to think about a new guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.