MSI GS60 Ghost/ Ghost Pro Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by GreaseMonkey90, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fox2525

Fox2525 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For real ?

I have my Games also installed on the HDD, do you have tried to install a game on the os HDD or SSD ? to give your theory a prove ?

2. LiamSevier

LiamSevier Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have not tested the theory, nor do I plan to do so for a while. I'm in the middle of building a water cooled desktop and hoping to have that finished by the beginning of the year. Some time after that, I'll perform a complete reformat of the GS60 drives (which I've heard is a nightmare in itself). After the reformat, I'll install a game or two on the SSD, rather than the hard drive, to test the theory. Unless someone else has had better luck/can prove otherwise.

Please let us know if you try it out.

3. be77solo

be77solo pc's and planes

Reputations:
    There are no issues when running games from a different drive than the OS is installed on, need not worry about that, at least on the GS60 or any of my previous machines. I've got 900GB+ of games on my HDD and run Win8 from the SSD without any issues.

Having said that, I do have a couple games that do stutter on the HDD, but it is due to the HDD power settings. Basically what happens is the game loads into RAM, runs great, then a new file is needed from the HDD but while running from RAM the HDD went into power saving mode, thus causing a brief stutter while it powers back up. I don't have the link handy but it is a well documented problem with fairly simple fixes explained here on this forum. My simplest fix is either run HWMonitor in the background, which regularly "pings" the HDD and keeps it "awake", or use CrystalDiskMark to adjust the power mode of the HDD.

Not certain this is the problem of the original poster a few posts up, but I've been battling this problem with HDD's for my last few laptops. It's most noticeable to me in DCS:A10 type simulator games where everything loads in the beginning, and there's not much HDD activity for a while. Then bam, a big explosion or something, which accesses the HDD and instant brief stutter. It happened on my Asus G73, my MSI GT60, and my MSI GS60 when installed from HDD. When I do run then from the SSD however it doesn't happen at all, but even when run from the HDD is easily fixed.

4. LiamSevier

LiamSevier Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I actually meant to post this thread, which references the HDD activity/sleep issue:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=249364.0

I think I set CrystalDiskInfo up correctly, but the instructions were a bit vague in MSI's PDF:

http://www.msi.com/pic/faq/10011971@2014-1003-0401-014968@faq_0000000000977-en.pdf

After setting up CrystalDiskInfo, and rebooting, I am still having the same lag/stutter problem as before.
    I did not set the KeepAliveHD program up yet though. Not sure if that will resolve the issue or not.

5. Fox2525

Reputations:
    Yep that exact kind of setup I´ve tried myself, disabled apm and stuff, but the stutter are not gone

6. Fox2525

Reputations:
    I think I ve fixed it! . You have to choose the second msi hdd tutorial on this page where you have to install live hdd. it writes a tdxtfile every 7 seconds on your hdd so your hdd wont spindown and cause laggs. I tried it and my laggs are history now. Please givd me a feedback if it works for you or not

7. Spanker15

Spanker15 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Has anyone fixed their WiFi issue by sending to the RMA?
    Because its doesn't seem like the 7260 I have on my laptop is defective, this card in general just seems to be a piece of trash put in a supposedly high end laptop

I've been trying to solve mine for days but with no success, will it be fixed with the rma?
    I never really had to deal with this RMA stuff before on my previous laptops so how does it work if the card is defective after coming back? Does it go back again and again until it gets fixed? or do they give the money back which I find unlikely?

8. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I had disconnect and resuming from Sleep Mode issues with the stock AC-7260NGW.

Replaced it with a Killer N1525 and couldn't be happier.(very hard to find if you don't want to pay $100 on ebay)

Tried an Intel AC-7265NGW(from Mouser Electronics) and it works well also but a bit less speed when transferring files across devices on my home network.

If you haven't already try disabling U-APSD in the cards Advanced settings,do so.

If you have ping spikes and lags while gaming online then you'll need to edit the registry.
    https://communities.intel.com/message/246711#246711

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Window...etwork-unstability-on-Intel-WLAN/td-p/1461487

9. Spanker15

Spanker15 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Even though I'm relatively comfortable around computer hardware and even built my desktop, I want to avoid having to break the warranty sticker and then screw something on the laptop
    I followed this guide from someone in this forum and it includes disabling the U-APSD like u mentioned but it didn't fix it : http://forum.notebookreview.com/msi/761608-msi-gs60-ghost-tweak-information.html

More than ping spikes and lag the connection is overall terrible... The other laptops and phones around the house get 8-9mbps and the laptop on the same spot barely goes over 1-2mbps.. I even got one of those nano wireless adapters and it went from 1-2 to like 2-3, so still pretty terrible.

Thanks a lot for your response though !

10. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Are you using the 5ghz band or 2.4ghz.

The AC-7260 is a poor performer on 2.4ghz.

802.11ac is a 5ghz technology.

Which router are you connecting to?

Try different channels in the router settings.

I use channel 161 on 5ghz but some people get best results on 36.

BTW,if you are in the US breaking the sticker and opening the bottom does not void your warranty unless you damage something doing it.In that case only the part(s) you damage will not be covered by the warranty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.