MSI GS60 Ghost/ Ghost Pro Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by GreaseMonkey90, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsocohen

dsocohen Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm on a Ghost Pro 3K. Has anyone figured out how to run WoW at 1920x1080 in fullscreen? I can't get it to run anything other than 2880x1620 at fullscreen. The resolution option isn't there regardless of what I set my windows resolution to.

2. lhkplayer

lhkplayer Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am about to buy it during boxing day but I still have a few question I want to find out! the one that I am gonna buy has 12gb of ram, does that mean dual channel? or is it a good dual channel? it also only has a 128gb ssd, can I disassemble it and put a random m2 128gb sad on it and run raid 0 in the future? does the Samsung screen has light bleed? if it does or doesnt would you mind to show us a picture? people say the killer 1525 disconnects from time to time, how has that card been doing so far? I ve seen a video that a gs60 makes heavy clicking noise without the cover, have you figured it out what was the real problem? Sorry for all these questions, but consider it costs me 2000usd it really is a big investment to me, really appreciate that if the problems could be solved!

3. cfra12

cfra12 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I have been roaming the forum, but 432 pages is a lot to take-in...

I am interested in this rig, but I still have a few issues/questions that you might have the answer to.

1/ Seems like many people complain about the fan noise : is it really noisy when browsing/watching a movie ? (I have a vaio vpcF11M1E today, which is really noisy..check youtube)
    2/ What are the difference between GS60, GS60 ghost or GS60 ghost pro ?
    3/ What, in the references, stand 2PE, 2QE, 2PC, 2PL for ? does the screen quality change from one another ...?
    4/ I like playing video games, but I don't need the crazy ultra setting, I am fine with High. Since GTX870 seems to have throttling issues and gets hot, should I not better stick with GTX860M ?
    5/ Finally, do you guys trust MSI when it comes to quality of the product ?

Thanks in advance, it seems a lot of people also look for answers to these questions, so I am much it might help others than me :) .

4. JasonR24

JasonR24 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi guys. Just got myself a fangbook edge and was told that it was based off the gs60? If this is true what are people's experiences with them? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. LiamSevier

LiamSevier Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm not really sure how to best explain this, but for a little while now, my GS60 (3K-095) has been having an issue.

Every few minutes, I will hear the fans spin up in a quick whirring (at a faster rate than their constant idle), which happens for a second or so, and then they wind down to their normal idle rate. Fan spinning, not so much of a problem.
    What IS, is the fact that while this happens, my system becomes unresponsive. If I'm watching a video, the frames drop (and I don't mean the frame rate, I mean that the frames drop all together, as if they weren't there), and if I'm playing a game, the movement on the screen pauses/lags for a second or two, then resumes. This happens every few minutes and has become quite a nuisance.

I am very technically savvy, when it comes to keeping systems virus-free, but just to be safe, I'm running a full diagnostic as we speak.

I've also viewed the system logs, and the task manager, for any spikes when this happens and I'm unable to correlate any specific process that might be identified as the culprit.

In general, fan use is dictated by heat, which is produced by component, which is produced by load (generating said component heat). And with that in mind, the two biggest culprits should (in theory) be the CPU and the GPU, right?

If it was the CPU, shouldn't I be able to use the resource monitor and see a spike, followed by a drop (as the fans wind up or down, based on heat generated/component/load)?

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with their GS60?

6. Maarij

Maarij Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I used to have an MSI-X460DX that had something similar happen every few months with the exception being that the system didn't freeze like you described. The fans would randomly start whirring at full blast for a second then turn completely off and repeat the cycle. Turns out that my vents would get clogged with dust. The dust hardly covered the entire vent/fan but it did tend to gather in one corner which I think would cause it.

7. Fox2525

Fox2525 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Man I ve got the exact same random lagg spikes ... I thought it were game related but noticed ... I get those laggs in every Game.
    What I ve tried ... Unlocked Bios for advanced settings like disabling hyper threading. Disabled all power saving features. forced the gpu not to go to sleep. disabled core parking. disabled apm of the hdd (spindown).
    Nothing worked yet. If anybody have a solution for this. Please help!

8. amir_s_m

amir_s_m Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi,can u share your bios?or at least share mane of the program that u used for unlocking;none of the programs that I tried worked so far.thx

9. Fox2525

Fox2525 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I havent unlocked it myself i payed for it (svet) the Gpus Bios Modder also unlockes msi bios, for a little amount :)

amir_s_m likes this.
  10. LiamSevier

LiamSevier Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Do you have your games installed on the SSD or the HDD?

I've heard that the issue is with "having the games on a separate drive than the OS". However, this does not explain why the problem still happens when watching things like Netflix, HBOGO, YouTube, etc.

I also find it hard to comprehend that if it was a matter of the HDD initiating a sleep/idle setting, that this would be done every minute or so. Especially if a game is being run on the HDD when this happens. I mean, how could it be wanting to go to sleep/idle if it's currently being used?

So, IMO, those theories don't hold up. And the mystery continues. But what do I know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.