MSI GS60 Ghost/ Ghost Pro Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by GreaseMonkey90, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  2. snipe122

snipe122 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, are there any news regarding the fan speeds with the latest ec firmware? Did anyone succeed in making this beast a bit more quiet while idling?

3. Maarij

Maarij Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just for anyone that does a search on this thread. I did this on a MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-044US I followed that video link for the most part for replacing the m.2. I replaced mine with a crucial 550 m.2 type 2280 512GB. Overall, the process itself is relatively straightforward. Some things to keep in mind:

-Take it slow, spending an hour (about how long it took me) is worth making sure $2,050 still works afterwards,
    -Remember where all the ribbons went and to plug them all back in
    -Keep the screws separate so you know where to put them back in
    -The orange orange audio cable is held in magnetically. There is not a flap you have to pull back like in the other ribbons. You will have to pull it down. I ended up removing all of the screws so I could take out the mobo more and see it better before I pulled it out.
    -The wifi cables are on the module are fairly loose and easy to displace. This is why there is a yellow tape holding them down. Make sure you secure the cables properly. I've read about other people complaining how their card works in and out so they may have an loose connection there.
    -If you plan on using both m.2 slots, you will need to have a second M2 screw. The laptop does not come with an additional M2 screw and the crucial card I ordered from Amazon did not come with one. The Ace Hardware near me only went down to M4.
    -I ended up removing the black stickered cables near one of the fans so I could work on the otherside of the mobo better. This allowed me to actually get a screwdriver in there rather then trying to use a small bit to tighten/loosen the M2 screw.
    -If you can, have a second computer up with the video. You will be able to pause the video if you have any doubts.
    -Windows 8.1 will not automatically pick up the BigFoot drivers. An ethernet cable will not work. Have the drivers ready in a usb to save time.

WhatsThePoint and chant81 like this.
  4. Aeilerto

Aeilerto Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Not sure if this has been answered yet, but if I want a 3K screen and 6gb of VRAM, is it possible to just get one and then swap the FHD screen for a 3K screen?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  5. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The 1st time I did it to install an M.2 SSD I took a high resolution photo of the exposed guts of the notebook and then printed it out.

I marked the steps on the photo during disassembly then used the last step back to step 1 for assembly.

Worked well for me without any senior moments.

6. highlaw

highlaw Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, just recieved mine today.
    I've done some light searching in this thread but found no answer: Is there any way to stop the battery form charging above a certain %?

The last laptop I had was a samsung chronos7 which would stop charging at 80%. Right now my ghostpro is at 100%, which doesn't put my mind at ease.
    The only way I knew how to change this was through samsung's EasySettings program, but the equivalent from MSI (system control manager) is way too simple and doesn't show an option like that. Even in advanced energy options I can't seem to find this feature.

Is there any way (3rd party programs if need be) to establish a battery % limit?
    Thanks in advance.

7. be77solo

be77solo pc's and planes

Reputations:
    MSI does this automatically... you will notice once it's charged and plugged in, it will say "plugged in, not charging" and cycle between approximately 95%. No need for third party software, MSI has this built in.

I've used mine for over 8 months without issue, battery health is still great.

8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    95 to 99% is reserved and will not charge further for battery protection.
    No 3rd party software available but someone with in-depth knowledge can tap into EC to control it.

9. highlaw

highlaw Newbie

Reputations:
    It got up to 99% for a while and it was still charging (pic below, reads "plugged in, charging"), 10 minutes later I looked again and it was at 100% so I removed the charger.

ex.jpg

I'm going to bed and test it again tomorow. Isn't there an option to activate/deactivate/change it in any way?

10. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    The manufacturer has to make the software, otherwise there's no way to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.