MSI GS60 Ghost/ Ghost Pro Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by GreaseMonkey90, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes, since GS60 is 15.6" and a typical 15" bag can accommodate 15.6" unless this bag is really made for 15" or smaller.

2. Erikdayo

Erikdayo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My GS60 fits fine in my backpack that is made to fit 15" laptops, but this laptop is definitely big for a 15". Can see that pretty clearly just by looking at the huge bezel around the display.

3. mskiller

mskiller Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The only thing I hate about my GhostPro is its huge*** bezel.. other than that it is a beast that is also very portable.

4. Nanobullet

Nanobullet Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can say that is very portable. I came from the 170SM clevo. Its does not have the same hp but is has a marvelos 3k display on the 15 inch

5. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    The term of 15" can be misleading and confusing, but this is a common thing nowadays.
    All notebooks and briefcases in the market claimed to be 15" are not true 15" but 15.6", see below 3 models for dimension comparison.

GE60
    383 x 249.5 x 37.6mm (Width x Depth x Height/Thickness)
    15.1" x 9.9" x 1.5"

GS60
    390 x 266 x 19.9mm (Width x Depth x Height/Thickness)
    15.4" x 10.5" x 0.79"

GT60
    395 x 267 x 55mm (Width x Depth x Height/Thickness)
    15.6" x 10.6" x 2.17"

6. cgw

cgw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The GS60 has almost the same dimensions as my MacBook Pro 17.

7. Oushin

Oushin Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey everyone, I've been reading this thread for the past couple of days and finally decided to join the helpful community. I will most likely be buying this laptop soon because I need one for my engineering classes in college, and the MSI GS60 fits all of my needs and is perfect for my budget (around $2000 USD). Before finalizing my purchase of this laptop, I have a couple of questions and concerns.

1. I hear that the new Nvidia Maxwell GPUs are being released soon, and I am wondering if it is worth it at the moment to buy the GS60 with the current Keplar 860M/870M cards that are in these configurations? I feel like I would be pretty angry if I were to buy this and have the new Maxwell cards fit into the refreshed configurations in the next couple of months. School starts in October for me, by the way.

2. When the Maxwell cards arrive, will they cost significantly more than the current 860M/870M? Or will they cost around the same price?

3. If I were to purchase a MS60 in the next couple of days/weeks, should I go with the 860M or 870M? I will most likely be ordering it from GentechPC/XoticPC online with the extra Arctic thermal paste in order to keep lower temperatures, because I am concerned about them. I hear the 870M cards throttle often, but for $100 bucks more, it seems like its worth getting the 870M over the 860M.

4. And will battery life be drastically different when comparing the 860M/870M on normal use, like running coding programs or surfing the internet and watching Youtube videos? If the 860M and 870M have similar power draw on idle, I might as well go with the 870M.

Thank you for taking the time to clear up some of my questions! The MS60 truly is breathtakingly beautiful, and I prefer it over any other thin multimedia laptop out there in the price range. Thanks again!

8. nekromantik

nekromantik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone got suggestions?
    I decided to delete all partitions off the SSD and switch to legacy mode in BIOS and install Win 7.
    It worked fine so installed drivers from Intel website and Nvidia website but now laptop is always on Geforce even on Desktop.
    Plus it freezes and fans go to 100% until I turn laptop off.

9. Spanker15

Spanker15 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    First of all I have the 3k with the 860 but I will try to help you on some stuff.

1. Dont really know if there will be maxwell or not

2. ^

3. I had the same trouble deciding as u did .. I needed the laptop for my software development classes in college and for some gaming but my main gaming machine would still be my desktop.. If u pretend to make the laptop your main station and play quite a lot of demanding games I would say go for the 870.. otherwise for casual gaming the 860 would be a better option since it also has a better cooling.

4. For the tasks you mentioned the gpu wont come into play since it will probably use the integrated graphics..

In the end its up to your needs

10. Oushin

Oushin Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok, thanks for your help! I also have another quick question, is it worth it to upgrade the stock RAM to Kingston HyperX? Will it make a significant difference?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.