MSI GS60 Ghost/ Ghost Pro Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by GreaseMonkey90, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cavell219

cavell219 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No you aren't. It is not physically possible for the battery to run the gfx card and cpu at the needed power. I don't know the exact numbers of the gs60 but think of it this was way. GFX card needs 90 Watts, CPU 80 Watts so 170 watts, which is why they usually give a 180Watt PSU to account for losses. On battery your battery is usually like 60-80 watts. So only half of what the computer needs to run at full potential.

2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    This is a commonly asked question by a lot of users.
    AC adapter provides more juice to run the components up to 150 to 180W depends by the model.
    Battery is only about 40 to 50W, so battery mode will be very limited on performance.

3. Matce

Matce Newbie

Reputations:
    As an update:
    Im am running Win 8.1 and everything is fine as long as I choose IGFX in Bios.
    As soon as I chose SG trouble starts:
    I boot, the Power button turns orange, indicating that the 860 is not active and Win starts... about 30seconds in the GPU fan goes into FULL SPEED and another 30secconds in I get BSOD with "DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE". I uninstalled ALL NVIDIA drivers with the display-driver-uninstall-tool provided by amd/nvidia since I had some old drivers from my previous notebook (I just put the SSD from my old one into the new one and Windows booted right up!).
    I am completely unable to install the 860-drivers... the NVidia Setup wouldnt find the graphics card... and I only have about 1 minute in windows before the system crashes...

anybody?

4. dennis96411

dennis96411 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think you need to clean reinstall Windows. It's never a good idea to use a drive containing various system files and components designed specifically for one system in another system. This is most likely a driver conflict issue.

5. CoppDog

CoppDog Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you.. This makes sense

6. Hasph

Hasph Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I asked MSI in a different forum if the red backlight that glows on startup (even before windows) is possible to disable and recieved this answer:
    "MSI current EC firmware default is always ON and in RED color before entering OS or if SSE isn't installed. In windows, SSE takes over the keyboard backlight color control, we have no way to change this atm."

Im sorry if this question is retarded but is it possible to customize the EC firmware somehow to disable this backlight?

7. mardon

mardon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good find. It might be worth asking svet on the msi forums if he can do anything with it.

8. Hasph

Reputations:
    Thanks! Created a thread about it over at the MSI forums and PM'ed mentioned user. If anyone wants to follow the progress the thread can be found at GS60 > EC Firmware with disabled backlight?.

mardon likes this.
  9. mardon

mardon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Would be great to be able to disable the power button Led when watching films in the dark too.

10. Hasph

Reputations:
    Indeed, keyboard backlight and power button LED are the only too things that has annoyed me with this laptop. I have actually masked the "LED-ring" around the power button with a precise cut out electrical tape that melts into the chassis color quite well. To be able to disable the actual LED would be a far more "clean" solution though, is it also controlled by firmware you think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.