MSI GS60 Ghost/ Ghost Pro Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by GreaseMonkey90, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kazoul

Kazoul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everybody,

Just finalized my custom EC firmware (v504) for my GS60 (2PC).
    I revised both CPU and GPU temps about fan settings with the great tool from Svet.

Laptop is now much more silent about both browsing/working and gaming.

Here are my custom settings compared to stock MSI values (did a little Excel graph to understand better, CPU is in green, GPU in red) :

[​IMG]

I picked up the firmware from the GS60-2PC but should be compatible with GS60 Pro version also since it seems they all have the same firmwares/bios, but as always, try at your own risk! (and don’t forget a hardware EC reset with the pin hole after flashing).

Don’t forget to report what do you think of it!

Happy flashing :)

*edit* : for those who are interested also, I might share my ICC profile (screen calibration about colors). Thanks to my i1Display Pro tool, I achieved a 0.59 deltaE (2000), so pretty an impressive score for a notebook screen!

Attached Files:

be77solo, Sen7inel, inc77 and 2 others like this.
  2. mardon

mardon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm going to be investing in some insurance from "Switched On Insurance" they will cover the laptop for everything including breakdown even if there is no manufacturers warranty in place. This way I can get upgrade the internal components and TIM if required without worrying.

3. Unn0

Unn0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Would be great, I was thinking to ask someone here if they can give a shot with a calibration instrument and publish the settings for a better delta-E. Thanks

4. hitzgut

hitzgut Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just checked on the msi website, there is a MSI GS60 BIOS update available as of today.

Not sure if I'll do mine because since I did the MSI official EC update Pherein's fan tool doesnt work properly anymore. E.g. When I set it for quiet or silent mode fans go down for a second then go back up to 2900rpm/3300rpm.

I have done the same as Mardon, underclocked 2Ghz and undervolted around -106Mv using Intel XTU and the fan doesn't spin up to 3300rpm while browsing, but does spin up when watching a HD video.

I will probably get Svets tool later on today to flash the EC for a better fan profile and will do Sen7inels VBios -75mV for overall better performance.

5. sjplatt

sjplatt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    By Pherein do you mean this one:

6. hitzgut

hitzgut Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yes that's the one

7. mardon

mardon Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Yes please share the ICC profile.

8. be77solo

be77solo pc's and planes

Reputations:
    Good news is this is a BIOS update, so shouldn't have anything to do with EC (fan) settings. Having said that, no idea what it "fixes":

"description

1. Disable GOP/VBIOS DRRS function."

I highly recommend Svet's tool, works great for full fan tweaking and now supports vBIOS Mods (860m for now but I'm sure 870m support is coming).

9. Kazoul

Kazoul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok, as requested by some people, and as promised, I'am sharing my calibrated screen profile from my GS60-2PC ! :thumbsup:

Had to re-do a full calibration (so this one is fresh) because the older one was at 0.77 deltaE (2000).
    This one is currently at 0.56 (I published the "measurement report", so you can find it as attachment also, read it as it's very interesting, so you can see which colors are less or more true from reality, etc).
    I always calibrate my screens as 6000k color target (not too hot and not too cold also, a good mix between both).

Keep in mind that a profile is valid for a short period as generally LCD colors are not always stable, only professional monitors are able to keep values right for a good moment (for exemple Eizo screns at 1000$+). Moreover every LCD screens are all different so if my profile is working well on my machine, it does not mean that on yours it will be perfect also, but at least it will be much better than stock.

I calibrated with 40% brightness of the screen, so it will be more accurate if you put your brightness like this from your Windows 8.1 :

[​IMG]

Enjoy ! :)

Attached Files:

mardon, mirakuru, Unn0 and 2 others like this.
  10. Vidiot5G

Vidiot5G Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Which Intel XTU slider title do i set to 2GHz bc apparently thats what all the cool kids are doing? Also anyone know good monthly laptop insurance for the US that doesnt cost and arm or leg upfront? That switched on insurance is a really good deal in the UK... Last Mardon PLease please please with the Youtube of the flashing process!!!!!!!! will be forever in debt/thankful...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.