MSI GS60 Ghost/ Ghost Pro Thread

Discussion in 'MSI' started by GreaseMonkey90, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colonels

colonels Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    so setting transmit to MEDIUM didn't help at all?

if you try the laptop next to the wireless router do you get normal pings?

can you plug in ethernet cable and see if you get normal pings without wireless?

2. laykun

laykun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you tried this on a wired connection or another machine to confirm that it's the wifi and not just conincidence? Do you share your network with other people that may also be thrashing it with torrents or such? Generally the wifi->laptop ping response is <1ms of latency, so an increase to 400-700ms is dubious at best and most likely not the wifi card in the laptop. I'm not rulling it out, but I suggest you try other options to make sure that it is indeed the point of failure.

3. Butterknife

Butterknife Newbie

Reputations:
    So I did try to set the transmit settings to medium, and it worked for a little bit longer before it went to 700 ms, it lasted at 90-100 for about 3 minutes before it killed itself. I'm trying the wireless right beside the box itself and the same problem happened. It lasts for about 2-3 minutes normally, then it just skyrockets and there's no way to get the ping down besides resetting the internet. Plugging it in just said I had limited access, and didn't move from there at all.

And I do have another laptop that runs perfectly fine, the wifi access I get in the exact same location with it is about 80-90 ms. It's also 3 years older.

4. John566

John566 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would sure love an easier and safer approach to lowering the fan speed at idle. I seem to hover around 2850 at idle and I find the sound annoying. Under load I don't care how loud it gets; I expect it. When I'm surfing the web it is way to loud and I may not keep the laptop because of it. I wanted something that would play games (which the GS60 Pro does great) and also work well as a travel laptop for web browsing and e-mail. My rMBP 13" is silent unless it is under heavy load.

5. ti20n

ti20n Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Success! I was able to fully control the GS60 fan(s) with software, no EC firmware flashing needed.

1) Install "RWEverything 1.6.5.9"
    Download | RWEverything

2) Extract "Fan Control Tools 1.0.4" somewhere
    Fan Control Tools by Pherein v1.0.4

3) Copy my GS60.nb into "Fan Control Tools/notebooks"

View attachment GS60_FanProfiles.zip

4) Copy my Default.rw, Quiet.rw, Silent.rw into "Fan Control Tools/profiles/GS60" (create that last folder)

View attachment GS60_FanProfiles.zip

5) Optionally launch "Fan Profile Editor.exe" to edit the 3 .rw profiles above if you want.

6) Launch "Fan Profile Applier.exe" to set your GS60 to a given profile.

7) Optionally use "Fan Profile Toggle.exe" to have a one-button-shortcut to swap between 2 profiles (limited usefulness)

8) Optionally add "Fan Profile Applier.exe" (with all "Remember" checkmarks ticked) to your Windows Startup so that you never have to worry about manually rerunning Step 6 after an EC flash or EC reset (intentional or otherwise).

Notes:
    - Silent.rw has 0% RPM until 60oC, then goes to 44% and so on. That profile is not perfect -- It would be better if the hysteresis was larger than 3-4 degrees (i.e. the fan kept going longer on its way down from 60oC, past 57oC). I will try to figure out if the hysteresis length can be set somewhere in the EC.
    - Quiet.rw has 44% RPM until 59oC, then goes to 52% and so on. Turns out 43% sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. 44% seems to work all the time. If your fan keeps going on and off after applying this profile, you may want to try 45% or above.
    - When editing these RW files, the first 2 rows are for CPU, the next 2 rows are for VGA. My RW files all keep the VGA curve at default, but feel free to edit it.
    - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

EDIT: some users report that the profiles posted above work with EC v.503 but not EC v.504.

John566, Shellium, Sen7inel and 8 others like this.
  6. mardon

mardon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good work! Can the GPU fan go any higher than stock?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

7. colonels

colonels Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If being plugged in with ethernet doesn't give you proper speeds it's not a wireless card issue.

I would disconnect all devices from router, reboot router, and start fresh from there with ethernet plugged in. You should have a perfect connection. If you can't have good speeds plugged in there is no way you're going to get good speeds wirelesssly lol

Something is buggy about your router and the new laptop

8. webusermy

webusermy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wonder if anyone had attempted to try taking the emblem out. I am very curious to find out what's behind that emblem. Maybe can replace it with a custom logo or something.

9. OrangeCoffeeMug

OrangeCoffeeMug Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    a sticker would probably work pretty good.... if one wanted to put a sticker on their laptop

10. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Apparently it's just a hole open to the light of the led panel. That's how it lights up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.