MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Most of the functions will work without the utility.

2. Italia_NYC

Italia_NYC Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all, just wanted to come in and offer my opinion on the GS43VR. Two weeks ago, I purchased both the GS43VR locally and the new Razer Blade (1060), with the intentions on returning one of them. After using both extensively, every day, both for office and gaming use, I returned the Blade yesterday and am keeping the MSI. From a performance standpoint, the GS43 mops the floor with the Blade (there is a 90-page thread on how poorly the new Blade is performing over on the Razer forums), in everything (SSD speeds, Graphics, cooling, etc...), and in my opinion, has a much better keyboard. The Steelseries keyboard on these units are really great and a joy to type on. From a quality standpoint though, the Blade is in a class by itself. It is a beautiful piece of machinery and has an intangible quality that just makes you stop and touch it. The trackpad is better and the speakers are probably some of the best speakers on any laptop I've heard and definitely blows the MSI speakers out of the water. IPS screen quality appear to be about equal, though the MSI does have noticeably more backlight bleed, but it's not terrible nor distracting. I really, really wanted to love the Blade and struggled to pack it up and send it back. But at the end of the day, I wanted a portable gaming laptop; and for that, the MSI is just a much better machine. And from a company who's slogan is "For Gamers. By Gamers", they should be ashamed that they evidently purposely throttled the hardware in the Blade to prevent overheating, and as a result, every other 1060-based laptop out there outperforms it.... by a large margin. And oh by the way, it cost $700 more than what I paid for the GS43. Shame on them.

Perhaps I stand alone here, but I actually like the new Dragon Center. It's actually very useful. I use the TrueColor utility quite frequently, and I appreciate the ability to fine tune and create custom color profiles. Also the ability to create custom fan curves is very handy and most appreciated as well.

If I had any complaints regarding the GS43, forgetting the atrocity that is all the unnecessary and blatant bloat-ware that is pre-installed (I do a clean install of Windows on any laptop I get); I think it would be the disappointment that there are only 2 USB ports. In my opinion, that is inexcusable in a gaming laptop. Also, more aluminum (or more precisely, less plastic) would be welcome. But I recognize I am now spoiled having had the all metal unibody chassis of the Blade in my hands.... and truth be told, nothing comes close to that feel or build quality. On the upside, the MSI is considerably lighter as a result. Which is very advantageous for me, someone who carries their laptop in a bag all over the city, every day.

Also, the MSI is far easier to disassemble and has more options in the upgrade department. I replaced the the stock M.2 SSD with a 1TB Crucial MX300. This drive screams... and CrystalDiskMark results between this drive and the 1TB M.2 in the Blade..... it embarrassed the Blade. By so far a margin, that people thought I Photoshopped the results. Quite remarkable, and the epitome of #value for the MX300. Aside from the drive, it is really nice having the option of upgrading the RAM. I have not done so yet, but I think I'm going to put 32GB of RAM in this, on general principle.

So that is my experience with this unit (and a competitor). I am very happy with this laptop and it eats everything I throw it at, on Ultra settings, without breaking a sweat. In full disclosure; I despise Optimus and anything else that seeks to "improve battery life". It's a gaming laptop, I nor anyone looking for a performance, portable gaming machine, should care about battery life. I disabled Optimus, run exclusively on the 1060, High Performance power plan and fans on high at all times. That's just how I prefer to have my gaming laptops setup. And as a result, it runs buttery smooth, at all times, no matter what it's doing.

3. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Agree completely with your opinion. Also returned the Blade due to bad throttling; couldn't pass up the current deal on the bigger GT62VR w/ its 1070 and G-sync. MSI has nailed it with this current generation in my opinion, something for everyone. Tried 2x GS43's it didn't work out for me (backlight bleed and dead pixels). Glad yours is working out, enjoy!

4. slipoftongue

slipoftongue Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    have done all the tweaking except updating bios and firmware, and the stuttering stays. has anyone updated bios and firmware, could that help? I'm just being a bit cautious as I have never updated bios and firmware (heard this could produce more trouble?)

5. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, thanks for sharing your experience on the Blade. I just have one question: How did you manage to disable Optimus on the GS43VR? Do you mean that you hook up the laptop to an external screen so that the dGPU can drive it exclusively which effectively disables Optimus?

Thanks.

6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Optimus cannot be disabled but you can access dGPU directly via the mini DisplayPort using an external monitor.

7. Jawz0r

Jawz0r Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello! I just received my very own MSI GS43VR. I've got some problems with this particular model though, hence my post.

My MSI seems to be always busy disk wise. I've seen it top at 100% disk usage while running idle. Also, the temperatures are very, very high for a laptop running at idle. The CPU is 60 degrees Celsius, and the GPU even got as hot as 80 degrees Celsius. This in combination means, of course, that the laptop is very noisy.
    Did I miss something essential while installing everything? This can't be normal behaviour for this laptop. I could really use some help!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. alejo099

alejo099 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Jawz0r Try putting the Power plan on Balanced (comfortable). Mine was on High Performance and it had the processor running at maximum speed unnecessarily. Since I left it in Balanced the temps have been more stable under 50 oc.

Also on another note I ended up buying this expensive RAM:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G260V2C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But it only runs at 2666 at CL18, which is way under what is advertised. I tried changing the XMP profile in the BIOS for it to run at 3000 but there was no option, any ideas what is going on? Thanks!

hmscott likes this.
  9. Hana9so

Hana9so Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried gaming on a battery? I can't seem to get very good framerates. I even messed with turning the NVidia battery boost setting to the max of 60fps.

I'm thinking the internal battery just can't output enough current.

10. Jawz0r

Jawz0r Newbie

Reputations:
    I set it to Balanced, Comfortable... I tried all of it, and it's still really hot. Any other suggestions? It's really loud for an idle laptop, and hot as well. I expected more from MSI to be honest.