MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I never had a Killer Wireless card (the reseller took it out for me) so I can't do a direct comparison, but with my Intel 8260, I can say that with Battery Saver on, the power plan set to Balanced, the screen set to 50% brightness, and the keyboard backlight set to "low", I get almost exactly 4.5 hours of battery life while web browsing. Turning the screen brightness down lower than 50% nets longer battery life; I've seen it last 5ish hours.

By the way, congrats on the AW13 purchase! I look forward to hearing your impressions.

PMF likes this.
  2. alejo099

alejo099 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Hana9so thanks for posting those pics about your new Toshiba OCZ RD400, how is it going with it? Would you recommend it over the Samsung 950 PRO? Seems like the Toshiba has overheating issues for what you say.

3. Prototime

Reputations:
    The GTX 1060 mobile is substantially more powerful than the 965M, given that it exceeds the power of the 980M and comes close to the 980 mobile, but from the sounds of it you're fine with the 965M for now. You'll almost certainly be able to run 1080p/low settings/40fps until the GS43VR's Volta-successor comes out, which might be as early as next year (more likely in 2018 though, IMO), and you'll probably be fine for 3 years too if you want to stretch that out even further.

I'm in a similar boat as you - I personally plan to skip Volta and keep my GS43VR until Einstein comes out in 3-4 years, and while I easily get 60+ fps on max or near-max settings at 1080p now, I don't have much of a problem dialing the settings down in the future.

4. emppill

emppill Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you get any answers to why this is?

Would you care do link the reviews?

5. Hana9so

Hana9so Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I haven't personally tried a 950 PRO, but the benchmarks don't seem to be too far off. And i'll be honest, for gaming and general use i'm not seeing that much of a performance boost. It's negligible.

I've been checking temps religiously and i haven't seen it go high at all, but then again i'm not working it that hard. I only noticed it was hot when i was cloning the original drive to it.

hmscott likes this.
  6. asusk53

asusk53 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys! I've just bought this laptop this week. I have one question that I can't find the answer on google.. maybe I'm not asking the right thing but.. anyways..

I have 2 monitors hooked to my laptop. I have found that all the softwares I use while I'm using my external monitors used my 1060.. Is there a way to only use the integrated gpu while I have external monitors plugged in?

7. PMF

PMF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Somebody may correct me, but it is my understanding that the external ports for monitors are hardwired to the 1060 GPU, i.e. for those the signal does not use the integrated GPU as a pass-through (i.e. no Optimus). Among other things, this would cause problems for VR for example.

8. Prototime

Reputations:
    @PMF is correct; the HDMI and DisplayPort ports are wired directly to the GTX 1060, so there's no way to use the iGPU when connected to an external display.

9. eggaD

eggaD Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GS43VR-6RE-Phantom-Pro-Notebook-Review.172721.0.html
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/Notebooks/MSI/GS43VR_6RE-006US/gpu1.png

http://www.ultrabookreview.com/13349-msi-gs43vr-review/
    http://cdn.ultrabookreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/cpuz-gpuz.png

My paranoid mind formulates a thought - What if MSI send special samples only for reviewers?

10. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is caused by the difference between GPU-Z 1.10 vs 1.12 (the latest version. It's more accurate I assume). For ROPs/TMUs, I see 48/106 in 1.10 vs 48/80 in 1.12.

Also, on the picture http://cdn.ultrabookreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/cpuz-gpuz.png, the GPU is overclocked by +100 on Core and +200 on memory. That's why the Pixel Fillrate and Texture Fillrate are higher than default.

Prototime likes this.