MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. alejo099

alejo099 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks @Prototime I will check the DPC latency tool and get back to you.

Also I am undecided between these 3 RAM upgrades:

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Tec...78347058&sr=8-1&keywords=32gb+ram+ddr4+laptop

https://www.amazon.com/Ballistix-16...8347058&sr=8-10&keywords=32gb+ram+ddr4+laptop

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Veng...r=8-5&keywords=CORSAIR+Vengeance+DDR4+3000MHz

I am thinking of going for the last one since it is faster, but has a bigger CL than the first one. Any suggestions? I am a bit confused with the differences among these ones. Also I am sure the Crucial is compatible, because I checked the compatibility tool suggested by @Prototime , but not sure about the others. They should be...

2. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good move. I discovered this same article a while back, and since Sport mode no longer is auto-overclocking since the Win 10 Anniversary Update, I abandoned the MSI Dragon Center altogether and use the Balanced power plan mode now all the time. After doing this, my CPU temps have skyrocketed down to ~28 C when idle.

By the way, have you disabled the two "XBoost" options in the MSI Dragon Center to prevent the CPU from being put under an artificially high load all time? That might help too, if you haven't already.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Hana9so

Hana9so Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just a heads up for any of you in the future. It supports 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD's. I just put in a Toshiba RD400, and it works great; much faster transfer speeds. Also, i noticed they were running pretty hot under load. There doesn't appear to be any airflow around that area, so i managed to fit a few little TO-220 and DIP heatsinks on it (although, it was probably within safe operating temps, it makes me feel better).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8kF6CQdq3_mcVBVMWVtTlZZUWM
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8kF6CQdq3_meXViSWpUVzB0Z3M

hmscott and Prototime like this.
  4. slipoftongue

slipoftongue Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey, anyone updated bios and firmware? could that help with stuttering?

5. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Prototime, I can confirm 2 kinds of lags/stutter that I have experienced on the GS43VR:

1. Lag/Stutter when dragging a window across the screen (mouse pointer does not freeze in this scenario). I notice this behavior when plugging in an external monitor or projector for display. You can feel that it is not smooth when you drag a window across the screen. The issue is more obvious when the monitor I plug in has a higher refresh rate than my internal screen. I can see the lag as if the refresh rate didn't change to the higher one though Nvidia control panel shows that it is using the higher refresh rate.

Solution: This issue usually goes away when I restart the PC or restart the Windows Explorer process (Open Task Manager and right click on Windows Explorer process and hit Restart). The lag/stutter will disappear via either method and I can feel that the refresh rate is set to the higher one that my monitor supports correctly right after.

2. Action/Notification center pausing + mouse pointer freezing for 1-2 seconds. I notice this behavior when I click on the action center icon on the lower right corner of the task bar and it causes my mouse pointer to freeze and I can see that the GPU to switch from iGPU to dGPU (the power button LED goes from red to amber). After that, the action center will slide out fine. I have tried the GS43VR and GS63VR on display in an Electronics store and I can reproduce the same behavior. So, I'm pretty sure that this issue affects the entire MSI GSxxVR line-up and there is no real solution yet. Workarounds suggested on this thread can only minimize this issue's occurrence but they don't fix it completely.

As I mentioned before, this is an Optimus/software issue because this issue doesn't happen when I use the dGPU exclusively (via Mini-DP or HDMI with internal screen off) so MSI needs to take this issue seriously and release a proper update to fix this Optimus/software issue.

Also, I do not believe that this issue is related to the Killer Wireless card because I can still reproduce it after I disable the Killer Wireless card.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    slipoftongue and Prototime like this.
  6. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    #1 doesn't happen to me at all, perhaps because I don't have a Killer Wireless card. I've noticed #2 before, but rarely - I don't think it necessarily happens every time my iGPU/dGPU switch in my case, and at any rate, the iGPU/dGPU don't switch that much for me (similar to @spaceray I have set the iGPU preferred globally with the dGPU set for certain programs).

I agree that MSI needs to investigate this issue; it definitely appears to be software related, especially given various software tweaks seem to help make it better. @Derek712 has indicated that the same mouse pointer freezing is occuring during iGPU/dGPU switching on Razer Blades as well, so the fix may need to come from nVidia. Either way, MSI needs to proactively try to resolve this issue.

Has anyone tried contacting MSI Support about mouse pointer freezing during iGPU/dGPU switching? I wonder if they even realize that this is a common problem.

whirledpeas likes this.
  7. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I do not believe that either issue I mentioned is related to the Killer Wireless card because I can still reproduce both after I disable the Killer Wireless card.

8. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I called them about it a few months ago about the GS73VR. I think more people need to call about it though for them to take it seriously.

Prototime likes this.
  9. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:

Agreed. It's almost a universal issue in newer laptops with thinner panels. It's so easy to press those into keys that no matter what brand/model you choose you should put something in there.

hmscott likes this.
  10. all9everything

all9everything Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ive been lurking this thread for a while since picking up my gs43vr a little over a month ago...

i have noticed some micro-stuttering like others, but it was only initially during bootup for a minute & primarily when at the desktop (never in game from what i noticed which maybe coincidental?)

anyways, one thing i noticed after cleaning up some of the bloatware & other stuff was how hot my CPU was getting while gaming (constantly above 80c @ full load & often times hitting high 80's) which just never sat well with me. although at idle it was stable with the fans never needing to spin

finally this weekend after tweaking nearly everything covered in this thread i found my solution...

specifically changing the processor power management settings under the max proc state from 100% to 90% made a huge difference in temps but nothing noticable in performance (i play a lot of newer stuff like Division, r6s, bf1 & GTA if that matters).

i capped my fps to 60 with rivatuner just to keep the gpu stable while trying to narrow down the proc temps, but now after decreasing that 10% off the max setting ive gone from 80c+ to a stable low 70's/high 60's while in game which makes me feel way more confident about longevity of performance

so for those also running into high CPU temps during gaming or @ load, take a look at those settings (you can find them under the advanced power settings). by default they were maxed at 100% for both plugged & on battery power. kicking those down definitely did the trick for me out of all the other options people tried here (i was actaully contemplating doing a windows 7 install if i couldnt eventually narrow this down)

side note in case anyone was curious, I use MSI afterburner to monitor temps/performance & it works wonders on both this laptop & my gaming tower

hmscott and Prototime like this.