MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro's Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by MiSJAH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. slipoftongue

slipoftongue Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Now new trouble- i hooked my laptop with an external monitor - laptop's mini display port to monitor's hdmi port. Sometimes it works fine but sometimes the monitor is not being recognized. I used to use this monitor with my previous laptop through vga cable with no trouble. Any idea what could be the problem? Should I try a hdmi-hdmi cable or is it just another non fixable issue of msi gs43vr?

2. montobrah

montobrah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    On my GS73VR, the 17.3-inch version, going into Intel Rapid Storage -> Performance -> Link Power Management -> disable seems to have fixed my stutter.

hmscott, slipoftongue and Prototime like this.
  3. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Strange. I regularly do the exact same thing as you, going from the GS43VR's Mini DisplayPort to an external display's HDMI port, and I haven't encountered this issue. Maybe try using a different cable/adapter, or try plugging it into a different display, and see if that makes any difference?

4. spaceray

spaceray Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, forum! I have been reading this thread from the very beginning. Got my GS43VR after first real feedbacks about it. In general, quite happy with the laptop (considering its price). It survived a plane and a train :)
    Used it to play games on an external screen (with mini DisplayPort) - no issues.
    My biggest problem: stuttering. It was almost never in the beginning and quite often recently. The stuttering is especially noticeable when I am watching videos on YouTube (lagging mouse, crippled sound). Switching to using only dGPU or Intel GPU didn't help.
    Last 2 days I have been searching on the Internet about stuttering and reinstalling different drivers. The only thing that made a difference: switching off WIFI and using only the cable. On cable - no stuttering. I have removed and installed WIFI drivers (not suite) from Killer website and now behavior changed. Stuttering is rare now (about 1-2 times per hour), but when it happens then it is followed by laptop losing an internet connection, then wifi goes down, then it goes back up.
    I am starting to think that it might be a good idea to replace a WIFI module with the one from Intel (like 8260).

Prototime and PMF like this.
  5. PMF

PMF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's really good input. I have a feeling that I remember @Prototime saying he got the Intel card, and he is not suffering from stuttering. If so, then it sounds like you've identified (at least part of) the problem!

6. Prototime

Reputations:
    Welcome! Thanks for joining us, this is a very interesting development in the micro-stutter saga...

Indeed, I do have an Intel 8260 and have not had to deal with the stuttering. I had the reseller swap out the Killer wireless card for the Intel 8260, so I'm not personally able to do a comparison between the two cards to see how they might affect stuttering. This is the only way that my GS43VR meaningfully differs from others' in this thread, so perhaps the Killer wireless really is the culprit here. @alejo099 and @whirledpeas - does turning off your wireless internet help resolve the stutter?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    hmscott and PMF like this.
  7. PMF

PMF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier, but there's something called DPC latency, which can cause all kinds of stuttering. I think that it might be possible to use a DPC latency measuring tool in this instance to prove that the stuttering is caused by the Killer drivers (if that is actually what's happening). Or possibly find a different culprit. Essentially, some drivers can misbehave and hog the CPU's attention, causing other things, especially those that need real-time attention (mouse movements, audio, drawing frames), to be delayed and cause stuttering.

You can google dpc latency, or check out these links directly:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/solving-dpc-latency-issues/
    http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/5208515698

hmscott and Prototime like this.
  8. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I enabled on the LAN interface and disabled the killer wireless adapter but micro-stuttering still occurs on Windows 10 GUI and when it happens the power LED flashes amber and then back to red. So, I still believe that the stuttering is still caused by Optimus/GPU switching.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Prototime

Reputations:
    Finding a pattern with this micro-stuttering issue is next to impossible. For some people, it's clearly related to GPU switching; for others, the micro-stutter can be solved by getting rid of certain drivers, like the mouspad drivers or audio drivers; for others, disabling Killer wireless fixes it; and for @alejo099, micro-stutters occur only when the laptop is outputting exclusively to an external display (when there shouldn't be GPU switching at all).

@PMF could be onto something - perhaps and the common denominator is DPC latency. For whatever reason, the GS43VR and other GxxxVR laptops might be especially susceptible to DPC latency, and different drivers might trigger it for different owners.

Based on PMF's links, it looks like "LatencyMon" is the best software available to learn (1) whether you have DPC latency, and (2) if you do, what particular driver is causing it.

Perhaps owners suffering from micro-stutter should install LatencyMon and see if that can point them to a solution. Download link here: http://www.resplendence.com/download/LatencyMon.exe (Although I haven't had to really deal with micro-stuttering, I'll still give LatencyMon a shot to see if it reveals anything.)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    PMF and hmscott like this.
  10. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Could be THE problem. I remember reading people having problems with it in general. Is it a killer 1535? Cos i always wondered why they released a new version as the 1435 (or 1425). On the Alienware configs they put it ahead of the 1535 but it can be swapped to it for free but they are advertising it as first choice.
    Well I've got 1535 sitting there so I'll order it with 1435 and text the two. It will be a while yet since the AW13 is not even out to order yet but I can't even test it since my current laptop only supports the msata style

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk